March 1977 AROSC Riverside TT/Race pics - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

March 1977 AROSC Riverside TT/Race pics

I had these scanned from some slides I took at the time. I was in AROCSD, and came up to Riverside and Willow regularly to watch, but my three-shock, column-shift Giulia TI with a 101 single-carb 1300 was not exactly up to TT standards, though that didn't stop me from poring over the AROSC time trial rules and scheming about what class it would have been in.

Anyone recognize the Giulietta or Alfetta? The Giulietta is coming into Turn 6 just after the Esses, and the Alfetta is exiting Turn 6 for the very long straightaway. The GTA exiting Turn 7 is a car I've posted pics of before, which at the time belonged to Don Jaharis from Cardiff in San Diego. It has a 1750 in it at the time. That's an Alfetta sedan behind it, new at the time. I've got tons more, but scanning slides is expensive.

Andrew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Those are some great pictures. My dad used to take me there all the time, but it closed way before I was old enough to drive
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I never raced there, but AROSC or one of the vintage race organizers allowed unsupervised laps at lunchtime during some of these events, and I ran my first Giulia Super there in likely the summer of 1978. The back straight was phenomenal. Also my friend's Studebaker Cruiser, complete with Stude 289, glasspacks,and air shocks, and we managed to spin it.

I scanned a bunch of 78, 79 Long Beach GP pics at the same time and will post them in motorsports after I resize them to fit.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Cool - the Alfetta GT must practically have been brand new - true alfisti
Do I spot Jim Ferris at the wheel?
Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes it was. GTVs were regarded by many as old-fashioned and passe at the time, and Alfettas were the thing.
Andrew
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 AM

Great site for some great photos
http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/rirpicts.htm
RIP Riverside

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
GTVs were regarded by many as old-fashioned and passe at the time, and Alfettas were the thing.
Wow, interesting.
Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

If you have access to them, read the various Road & Track articles beginning about 1972 when Alfettas started being available in Europe. R&T couldn't wait to see the tired old Berlina and GTV replaced with something new. This was a fairly common, but not universal, sentiment.

AROSD in San Diego had an event at Continental Motors in 1977, then an Alfa dealer, allowing anyone who wanted to to test-drive a new Alfetta sedan or GT. Amazingly, they let me, 18 at the time, drive a sedan. I thought it was pretty cool, mostly because it was new, but I was already hooked on Giulia sedans (three shocks notwithstanding).

Andrew

Andrew
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM

That Alfetta does look like the original #76 I had as my first track car.
You never know...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jim Ferris[/FONT]
Diamond Bar, CA
1976 Alfetta Track car / "The Orange Menace"
1974 Spider Project
1994 164 LS Project / Finally Running
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
The white GT with the 47 on the side looks like Dick Barlows car that he and his son ran. Dick Barlow worked for one of the major film studios as a camera man.
That might have been one of the few times we ran the turn 7-7a corner. That when you came off one of the turns (8?) you had a full run to turn nine down the back straight away.

I wonder if that was the TT that I brought my 69 spider down and blew up the clutch? No one would lend me a clutch to get home and I had to go down in the middle of the week with a truck and trailer to haul it home. To get home I had to use the hitch hike method.

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The white GT is a GTA Don Jaharis owned and drove during 1977-78. I don't know who had it before and after that.
Andrew
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Can anyone put me in contact with Dick Barlow? Dave Vehger told me that he once owned my GTam.

I was wrong once before,
Paul Van Der Linden

Currently: 70 Giulia Ti 2.0L

Formerly:
(1) 58 spider

(2) 67 duetto's

(4) 67 super's

(2) 67 gtv's

(1) 70 gtam

(2) 74 gtv's

(1) 78 spider

(1) 82 spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode