5-Point harnesses REQUIRED now on convertibles - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

5-Point harnesses REQUIRED now on convertibles

The last invoice from Willow Springs had a couple of new notes on it pertaining to insurance coverage from K&K. I quote:

"- NO Passengers - you can have driver/instructor and it is whoever the organization deems an instructor."

and

"- Convertibles must have full rollover protection and 5-point harness. If convertibles do not have these items they cannot participate on our road courses."

I have to assume that K&K will require this at all tracks? We used to require 5-point harnesses in ALL cars at our race & TT events, but have backed off on that a bit for a number of reasons. Personally, I would not mind if the insurance companies mandated 5-point harnesses in all cars for race & TT events.

Checking with Willow, this applies to schools as well as race/TT events.

Anyone else encounter this at other tracks?

Terry Watson
AROSC Competition Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
The last invoice from Willow Springs had a couple of new notes on it pertaining to insurance coverage from K&K. I quote:

"- NO Passengers - you can have driver/instructor and it is whoever the organization deems an instructor."

and

"- Convertibles must have full rollover protection and 5-point harness. If convertibles do not have these items they cannot participate on our road courses."

I have to assume that K&K will require this at all tracks? We used to require 5-point harnesses in ALL cars at our race & TT events, but have backed off on that a bit for a number of reasons. Personally, I would not mind if the insurance companies mandated 5-point harnesses in all cars for race & TT events.

Checking with Willow, this applies to schools as well as race/TT events.

Anyone else encounter this at other tracks?
To me it seems to be pure CYA ( Cover Your ***) on the part of Willow springs.
I seriously doubt that it come from K&K.
Did Track management check for convertibles roll over protection, passengers or 5 pts harness?
I bet you that they did not and are never going to do it. I'ts just a sneaky way for them to shift more of the business liability to the organizers side.
As the track to define in writing what is "full rollover protection".
I bet you that you are never going to get a clear and precise answer because that would be shifting liabilities to their side.
Imagine that they would and a driver got killed in a convertible that meet THEIR definition of "FULL ROLLOVER PROTECTION".... Can you smell the lawsuit?
Same reason why insurance don't get involved in those types of issues

Last edited by luc; 02-28-2014 at 08:18 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I have a call in to K&K. Chris at Willow said that the requirement came directly from K&K, and that Willow has been getting a lot of calls about it from car clubs.

K&K said they would have one of their guys call me. I intend to discuss with him what they consider "full rollover protection", as well as what do they consider a "convertible". Is a Corvette with the removable roof piece installed a "convertible"? Is a Z4 or a Miata with a retractible hardtop a "convertible"?

The tracks never do any car inspection, nor would an insurance company put people at the track. However, you can bet that if something ever happened and a car was in violation of their rules, they would not want to cover anything.

I hear you, Luc. I intend to press K&K on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 AM
luc

A good practice when you get insurance coverage from the track ( meaning you don't have your own policy as we do), is to ask them for a copy of the policy. After all you are paying for a service but you don't exactly know what you are paying for.
Whatever the track or insurance tell you ( if they tell you anything) regarding the definition of convertible and full roll-over protection, you must have it in writing and that is not going to happen.
Tracks and insurance are playing games all the time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM
luc

Old news, look at this thread from August 2012
5-point harness required for Willow springs now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode