40th Anniv Race-Time Trial Sept 8-9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

40th Anniv Race-Time Trial Sept 8-9

On Sept 8-9 at Willow Springs our chapter will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of our first track event in 1972. The event will be our regular Race/Time Trial weekend but we have added an Alfa Romeo race group. We have former AROSC members driving/towing in from out of state. Some are missing other events that weekend to come out to race with us again. It is a "homecoming" for So Calif Alfa Romeo racers.
This deal has been in planning since last year. We have things for competition people and non competition people. Here are some reasons for you to come out:

• SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GTA REUNION
• ALFA CUP FEATURE RACE BOTH DAYS
• ALL VINTAGE RACE-PREPARED ALFAS WELCOME
• SATURDAY TRACK DRIVE FOR ALL ALFA ROMEOS
• ALFA PADDOCK FOR RACE CARS
• ALFA CORRAL
• SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER W/ GUEST SPEAKERS

The host hotel for the event is The Palmdale Hotel. It has a big banquet room where we will have dinner Saturday night with a short program of how this race track stuff got started. Meet at the hotel bar, dinner starts about 6:30.
So come out to the track on Saturday, drive the track at noon, get a room at the Hotel, go to the banquet, have a ball.
For those of you not used to Willow Springs in the summer, yes it will probably be a little hot out in the desert. So plan for it. Bring xtra drinks, a hat and suntan lotion. There is a good, air conditioned, snack bar at the track where you can get lunch. Small kids and dogs are not good at a race track. At Willow Springs you are there in the middle of the paddock with loud race cars. You can look, touch, hear and smell real Alfa race cars.

Registration for the track is now open. See Bob's post below for the correct web address!!!
Rooms at Antelope Valley Hotels | The Palmdale Hotel | Palmdale, CA have been blocked out for us. Call the hotel directly at 661-273-1200 and let them know you are with the Alfa Club. Single $69, double a little more. It is at the 14 fwy and Palmdale Blvd. About 22 miles from the track.
See you at the track.
Attached Images

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project

Last edited by sidewaysalfa; 06-30-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Thanks Bob for the correct web address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM

The correct web address for registration at MotorSportReg is:

MotorsportReg.com : AROSC 50th Anniversary Sat 8 - Sun 9 Sep, 2012

This is for the 40/50 Year Celebration bash on 8-9 Sept 2012 at Willow Springs.
50 year anniversary of AROSC as a club.
40 year anniversary of healthy road racing history.

Dust off your vintage racer, change the oil and blast into the past!

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 PM

Hi Paul, Racer-Z, et all,
I have been an AROSC member about 3 of the last 5-years and wonder how appropriate it would be to participate with this September's event. 15 or 20 racetrack days with the Alfa guys has been fun for me, but my car is neither vintage, nor is my car an Alfa Romeo. So to respect what you guys may want from the event I want to ask if I will be a sore thumb in my 2004 car? You seem to be open and generous when accepting non-Alfas in your past racetrack events, but this may be too special for the same treatment.
-jeff

S-2000; metallic gray
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Jeff,
You would not be a sore thumb at this event or at any other event with AROSC.
"All makes are welcome".
Because this event is our "homecoming" for Alfa racers we will have an extra Alfa Cup race group.
Come on out and see some racing history.
See you at the track.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeacon View Post
I have been an AROSC member about 3 of the last 5-years and wonder how appropriate it would be to participate with this September's event. 15 or 20 racetrack days with the Alfa guys has been fun for me, but my car is neither vintage, nor is my car an Alfa Romeo. So to respect what you guys may want from the event I want to ask if I will be a sore thumb in my 2004 car? You seem to be open and generous when accepting non-Alfas in your past racetrack events, but this may be too special for the same treatment.
-jeff
Jeff, dont let the name of this event scare you. All makes/models are welcome. I will be there with my MR2 as well hoping for a large race group.

See you at the track - Dennis
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
-jeff
All makes and years are welcome, providing they're in good operational condition and have the safety equipment necessary for the run group. I drive a Datsun 240z on the track.

Non-Alfas are classed by power to weight ratio, primarily.
Alfas use a detailed point system. Removing the front bumper is a point.

Time Trial run groups are always mixed.
There will be two race groups for this event, one for the Alfas and one for the non-Alfas. I'm not sure if there will be two practice race groups or one, but the main event will be two separate races.

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Invaders from the north....

Team Barcalounger may just have to represent....
Attached Images

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Barkalounger

Ron, looking forward to seeing you down here.
I see you do not have 5 pt belts in your GTV6 (I looked at your registration).
There is plenty of time to put them in. For the GTV6/Alfetta running Time Trial we are OK with attaching the shoulder harness to the rear seat belt mounting points. It will make driving Willow Springs a lot more fun.
Either way, I want to see how such a large chair as a Barkalounger fits in an Alfa . . . . .

Paul Blankenship AROSC
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

'Team Barcalounger' was a tongue-in-cheek response to having taken my 164LS out to a driving school a few years back with NWARC. Putting the big gal through its paces, sitting in those wide, spacious LS leather seats, drifting (wallowing/understeering) through the turns with the power steering and all the creature comforts, climate control, NVH at a minimum... it was almost like operating from a very comfortable recliner or sofa. Thus 'Team Barcalounger' was born. Granted I have other 'weapons' in the stable. The GTV6 is a recent addition as of late last fall...and I have been busy trying to make it a dual purpose car. The Duetto and GTV are in various stages of restoration. Looking forward to them being back on the road & track. I may definately need to change my team name once the '73 GTV is ready for the track!! Only so much time, and so much money to spread love amongst the flock.

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT

Last edited by Renaldo; 07-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I'm planning to be there with my vintage Giulia Super, now downgraded with a CSRG-legal 1600 instead of its former 2000.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Welcome Andrew

And don't forget to book a room at The Palmdale Hotel, our host hotel.
Motorsports reg is a little unclear that this is the place for our banquet.
http://aroschpd.org/events/2012/PalmdaleHotel_flyer.pdf

Please pass the word around to other Alfa racers and time trialers. This is looking like a pretty big weekend for us.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I have been an AROSC member about 3 of the last 5-years and wonder how appropriate it would be to participate with this September's event. 15 or 20 racetrack days with the Alfa guys has been fun for me, but my car is neither vintage, nor is my car an Alfa Romeo.
Heck, I hear the AROSC Competition Director doesn't even own an Alfa!

Terry Watson
AROSC Competition Director
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM

An old friend of the club will be driving Anthony Rimicci's GT Jr - Dino Crescentini. I will be great to see him out with us again!

Terry Watson
AROSC Competition Director
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
An old friend of the club will be driving Anthony Rimicci's GT Jr - Dino Crescentini. I will be great to see him out with us again!
Awesome!!!
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

8C is the Official Pace Car

We are proud to announce that the 8C Competitizone has been named the Officlal Pace Car for the AROSC 40th Anniversary Alfa Cup Race.
Come on out to Willow Springs Sept 8-9.

Paul Blankenship AROSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode