Should I hike the Angeles or the jacinto Reyes? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Should I hike the Angeles or the jacinto Reyes?

Im iin town (LA) for a week. Jacinto Reyes forest is 1 1/2 hrs away, and Angeles natl park is closer. I want to hike some pretty scenery/gorges/waterfalls/etc. Best bet for a day hiking, guys?? Ever do any of these parks?

Sr

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

thinking of Smith Mountain hike to the summit. Anybody try it? Snakes? Poison Oak? Bears? Ants?

87 spider veloce
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Well, no input on hiking ,tooo many years ago for that, but:
The Rt 33 area has some great driving roads that lead into a scenic back area. The town of Ojai is interesting.
Smith Mtn, is close to LA. There should be mostly fire damage from the fires a few years ago.
Little rain out here so our hills are "Calif Golden" rather than green.
It is also by some great mtn driving roads.

However, if you are in town Sat or Sun Feb 18-19 why not drive out to our Drivers School??

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM

It's been over 30 years since I've hiked in either place. All I remember is that both are great. Hopefully somebody with recent experience will have some input.

Racer†Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Garage
You should also set your alarm for Oh(!) Dark:30, and make the trip to Irvine on Saturday morning for Cars and Coffee. You will be permanaently affected by what you will see (in a good way); this event happens just about every Saturday, and is mostly gone by 8:30-9:00 AM...

JB in HB, CA
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. Wife prefers nature/scenery. Me- Alfas are neat, but gotta work in a hike- its in the blood. I'll let you know what happens!

87 spider veloce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
thinking of Smith Mountain hike to the summit. Anybody try it? Snakes? Poison Oak? Bears? Ants?
Don't have to worry about it too much, in most of the more publicly traveled canyon trails around here, but still need to be aware of the snakes, coyotes, and the occasional Black Widow spiders.

'87 Series 3
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Shadow- sorry for late reply- hectic getting back hoome/work/catching up afyter 10days.

Ended up Smith Mntn was kinda far (7 mile round trip hike0 for our time, so we went to Sweitzer Falls (4 mile) in the Angeles Natl Forest instead of the Jacinto. . Nice hike. No snakes. Some poison ivory though, but I was prepared- LONG PANTS!!

Geez- Cal must be broke as the signs in the trails are confusing/misleading. WE actually never made it right to the falls as the sign 1/2 mile before it mentioned all the other destinations/sites without mention of the falls, making us believe we either passed it somehow or one could never expect to get dowm so deep into the rocky/dangerous canyon cliifs.

So we headed back with only an obscure view from another point. Sheesh......

Next time well get there!!

87 spider veloce
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM

If you run out to Las Virgenes, on the 101 north ( just past Calabasas, at the west end of San Fernando Valley) try Malibu Park Just off Mulholand, THE classic sports car road in LA. Nice hike,goes to the old MASH TV set. Waterfall and swimming near the start, choose your distance!

Malibu Creek State Park

Robert
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thnaks for the link, Robert. Sounds like a very nice place, and if I get a chance, will put it on my priority list! heading back soon.........

87 spider veloce
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM

For a real Los Angeles experience out the Valley end, go out 101 to Kanan-Dune Road. Take the Kanan exit in Agoura Hills south (left across the overpass) 9 miles* to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, Route 1) in Malibu. Turn right (north) about 1.5 miles to Zuma Beach. This is the Home of the TV series "Baywatch". Pam Anderson's home is just a few miles away.

*About halfway there you cross Mulholand Highway - the definitive Los Angeles two-lane sports car (and motorcycle) road. It runs parallel to 101 from the ocean to the 405 near UCLA along the ridge of the Santa Monica Mountains.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode