AROSC Driving School, Feb 18-19, Streets of Willow - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

AROSC Driving School, Feb 18-19, Streets of Willow

Hi all:

Registration is now open for the first driving school of 2012! Race, Time Trial, or Street Performance - we have a class for you!

We are changing the format a little bit to allow us to expand the Street Performance (beginners) group, which we seem to always sell out. We plan to run two Street Performance groups, and everyone will still get all the same classroom, skid pad and track times as they have in the past.

You can sign up for the school at:
MotorsportReg.com : AROSC Racing, Time Trials, HPDE announces AROSC High Performance Driving School (Sat 18 - Sun 19 Feb, 2012) info at Streets of Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA 93560 (8059)

Never had your Alfa or other sporty car on a track? Shame on you! Here is your chance to try it out in a safe environment, and have a whole lot of fun!

Terry Watson
AROSC Competition Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Driving School

I attended the AROSC Driving School for race drivers last year and it was a very worthwhile experience. I had already completed the NASA Driving Concepts school, but I still gained a great deal at the AROSC school. I especially liked the many, many practice starts whereby students were placed at various locations on the grid having to deal with different circumstances at the front, middle or rear. Much time was spent on the wet skid path which was hugely revealing. The several practice "fire escapes" from your car showed how to best get out in a hurry. There was much more and all was well directed and manned by the very knowledgeable and friendly AROSC instructors/staff.

R.M.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeflyride View Post
I attended the AROSC Driving School for race drivers last year and it was a very worthwhile experience. I had already completed the NASA Driving Concepts school, but I still gained a great deal at the AROSC school. I especially liked the many, many practice starts whereby students were placed at various locations on the grid having to deal with different circumstances at the front, middle or rear. Much time was spent on the wet skid path which was hugely revealing. The several practice "fire escapes" from your car showed how to best get out in a hurry. There was much more and all was well directed and manned by the very knowledgeable and friendly AROSC instructors/staff.

R.M.
Just so you'll know, the above comment relates to Race School. We don't do practice starts in TT or Street Performance.

However, this year for the first time, TT students will be getting an introduction into on-track passing. Passing is now a significant part of our TT events so we want our drivers to know how to pass and be passed without losing a lot of time. We also want them to know how to do it safely.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 PM

I'm hoping to attend. Gotta sort out some brake problems before I sign up.

I've attended two of the schools already and they are a blast. If you've never done anything like this before, it's money well spent. You'll be a better driver for it and have tons of fun. If every (street) driver had to take this type of driving course, there would be a LOT less accidents on the freeway.

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
Hi all:

Registration is now open for the first driving school of 2012! Race, Time Trial, or Street Performance - we have a class for you!

We are changing the format a little bit to allow us to expand the Street Performance (beginners) group, which we seem to always sell out. We plan to run two Street Performance groups, and everyone will still get all the same classroom, skid pad and track times as they have in the past.

You can sign up for the school at:
MotorsportReg.com : AROSC Racing, Time Trials, HPDE announces AROSC High Performance Driving School (Sat 18 - Sun 19 Feb, 2012) info at Streets of Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA 93560 (8059)

Never had your Alfa or other sporty car on a track? Shame on you! Here is your chance to try it out in a safe environment, and have a whole lot of fun!
Registrations are coming in. We have 15 or so and they are split between all the groups.

Hope to see everyone there.

Dennis
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM

I signed up the other day. The weather should be terrific that weekend.

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM

I got 2 new drivers to the track coming for HPDE. It should be a fun weekend and the weather outlook looks clear.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM

You will get some serious track and skid pad time

Well, great for you folks, bad for the Club.
Not that many signing up for this School so there will not be the crowded groups like usual.
COME ON AND SIGN UP. 2 days of classroom, skidpad and track time.
The groups run from street cars with only their stock seat belts, to Time Trial with 5 pt harness, up to full Race with rollbar and a real helmet.
ANY CAR, you just need to dig up a helmet with a Snell 2005 sticker. M, motorcycle, versions are OK for ALL groups except Race.
Pass the word around to your friends, and some non-friends you think may need a little help with their driving.
Heck, last year I brought my 17 yr old granddaughter out in her Honda. Best bucks we could have spent on a teen learning how to drive.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project

Last edited by sidewaysalfa; 02-12-2012 at 01:33 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Angry roll cage

Hi fellows!
after a looong abcense my car is back in the garage. I had the motor completely rebuilt since I blew 2 holes in it almost 2 years ago. Aftere several thousand dollars it is now done, I'm happy to say.
However, in the precess I had an autopower roll cage kit added to my existing roll bar, to comply with this year's new rules for race. Now the bars that go on top front to back are so close to my head, that I can touch it without effort, even strapped down. And with the helmet on, well, I might as well tape my helmet to the bar to keep it from bouncing constantly. And this is even before I install the roll bar pads.
I never had a full cage before, but this doesn't sound safe.
Opinions?
Sounds like I'll have to sit this one out. I was really looking forward to come.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM

A lot of the autopower bolt-in cages are built to fit with full interior. If car has been gutted you can typically move the bars closer to the sheet metal and gain better helmet clearance. Of course, that requires customization of the autopower cage...
Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Mazlumian View Post
And with the helmet on, well, I might as well tape my helmet to the bar to keep it from bouncing constantly. And this is even before I install the roll bar pads.
Opinions?
Sounds like I'll have to sit this one out. I was really looking forward to come.
Jorge,

I was your corvette garage-mate at WSIR remember? I built my own cages. It is counter intuitive but you are actually safer with your head either 12" away from a bar or the bar right on top of you as you describe. You see belts stretch an easy 8" in a 20G crash pulse. Under those conditions a bar closer than about 12" your head gets whiplashed like a tip of a rat tail rolled up towel right into the bar. That is why the idea of the petty bar is just about not used anymore and full containment seats are all the rage. When your head is really close to a SFI 45.1 padded bar the bar acts like a head bolster. Think about baseball and your head is the ball. Would you rather be a ball swung at by the bat or a ball bunted as hard as he can?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hi fellows!
after a looong abcense my car is back in the garage. I had the motor completely rebuilt since I blew 2 holes in it almost 2 years ago. Aftere several thousand dollars it is now done, I'm happy to say.
However, in the precess I had an autopower roll cage kit added to my existing roll bar, to comply with this year's new rules for race. Now the bars that go on top front to back are so close to my head, that I can touch it without effort, even strapped down. And with the helmet on, well, I might as well tape my helmet to the bar to keep it from bouncing constantly. And this is even before I install the roll bar pads.
Opinions?
Hey Jorge,

I recently had a full cage installed in the toyota and I had the same issue. The installer was able to move the cage a little forward but not off to the side any. My head is a little close to the halo and with padding on it is like right there but I can drive with no issues and it is not a hindorance. I would say drive the car in the school so you get a feel of the current installation and go from there to see what you may need to change. Remember the school is slow paced and under controlled circumstances.

Hope to see you there.
Dennis
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM

Well, may be safety is not the issue. I searched several places and cannot find a good quote for helmet/roll cage clearance, except for the famous broomstick 2" rule. But that is for height, especially in topless cars.
My helmet rests against the bottom of the (new)front to back bar, because the bar goes inwards towards the center of the car in the back (original roll bar), but there's at least 3" of space to be able to move it outwards.
Normal driving (even on a freeway) makes your head/helmet giggle a bit, imagine a track, imagine a track at full speed. Nock, nock, nock constantly for 20 minutes, I might even forget my name at the end of the first session.

Jorge (where am I?)
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well, may be safety is not the issue. I searched several places and cannot find a good quote for helmet/roll cage clearance, except for the famous broomstick 2" rule. But that is for height, especially in topless cars.
My helmet rests against the bottom of the (new)front to back bar, because the bar goes inwards towards the center of the car in the back (original roll bar), but there's at least 3" of space to be able to move it outwards.
Normal driving (even on a freeway) makes your head/helmet giggle a bit, imagine a track, imagine a track at full speed. Nock, nock, nock constantly for 20 minutes, I might even forget my name at the end of the first session.

Jorge (where am I?)
Ok, mine was not that far out. It was only 1/2" from the side, but getting padding in was a little challenge. Maybe have just that halo bar re-bent to move it over.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Nock, nock, nock constantly for 20 minutes, I might even forget my name at the end of the first session.

Jorge (where am I?)

You are funny...just make sure you are driving in the same direction as the rest of us.

If the cage cannot be modified perhaps the seat postion can? You might be able to move it more inboard to the tunnel and get your head off the bar. You might be able to gain a bit by increasing the seat layback. You might be able to mitigate by using a halo seat. If you come up with some ideas that are not too complicated I got cutting tools and welders at my house and I'd be glad to help try and move stuff. Maybe if you posted a few photos here we could come up with some ideas. It is hard to really understand where you are having issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode