AROSC Driving School, Feb 18-19, Streets of Willow - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
You are funny...just make sure you are driving in the same direction as the rest of us.

If the cage cannot be modified perhaps the seat postion can? You might be able to move it more inboard to the tunnel and get your head off the bar. You might be able to gain a bit by increasing the seat layback. You might be able to mitigate by using a halo seat. If you come up with some ideas that are not too complicated I got cutting tools and welders at my house and I'd be glad to help try and move stuff. Maybe if you posted a few photos here we could come up with some ideas. It is hard to really understand where you are having issues.
Thanks for the tips and help. Tomorrow early morning I'm trailering the car back to the shop. They should be able to do it rigth themselves. No, the seat cannot really be moved to the center, but the bar can be moved 3 inches to the side, where it should have been in the first place. So I can't take pictures now, but hopefully I just might be able to pull one and be there on Saturday. Keeping the hopes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM

Jorge,
You've probably already loaded the car on the trailer, but. .
Remember School racing is at pretty slow speeds. So it is a good place to see how the roll cage works for you while at slower speeds than at the Big Track.
Come on out and see.
See you at the track.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM

Rooms still available at Palmdale Hotel

Some of you have had problems booking rooms at our host hotel, The Palmdale Hotel.
Please call directly to the front desk (661-273-1200 and press 0) and tell them you are with the Alfa Club. They still have 3 or 4 rooms left for 1 nite at our rate.
Our block of rooms was released 2 weeks ago and if you get into their corporate reservation system they only know 2 nite minimum.
See you at the track.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Mazlumian View Post
Thanks for the tips and help. Tomorrow early morning I'm trailering the car back to the shop. They should be able to do it rigth themselves. No, the seat cannot really be moved to the center, but the bar can be moved 3 inches to the side, where it should have been in the first place. So I can't take pictures now, but hopefully I just might be able to pull one and be there on Saturday. Keeping the hopes up.
Did your fab shop come up with a solution ?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysalfa View Post
Some of you have had problems booking rooms at our host hotel, The Palmdale Hotel.
Please call directly to the front desk (661-273-1200 and press 0) and tell them you are with the Alfa Club. They still have 3 or 4 rooms left for 1 nite at our rate.
Our block of rooms was released 2 weeks ago and if you get into their corporate reservation system they only know 2 nite minimum.
See you at the track.
We tried that. They said they never heard of the Afla Club and, needed a two night reservation and, their pricing is too expensive. We got a room at The Inn of Lancaster without issues at a reasonable price (for the one night we wanted).

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
We tried that. They said they never heard of the Afla Club and, needed a two night reservation and, their pricing is too expensive. We got a room at The Inn of Lancaster without issues at a reasonable price (for the one night we wanted).
DITTO! Palmdale hotel said they would call me back last week and never did. I tried to call them no less than 4 times on hold etc etc.. Paul fixed the problem. So I just called them 2 minutes ago and they do not know who the Alfa Club is. They have no rooms. They are sticking to their 2 night minimum. I give up. I'll stay somewhere else. It is really too bad. If the palmdale hotel is really as good looking as their website shows it is a nice find. The problem is you can't make a reservation and they really don't care.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Yes, Norm and I had a similar problem this afternoon (wed) getting him a room. We finaly did after 2 phone calls and me talking to somebody I knew at the front desk.
It seems you have go get one of a few "special" people at that hotel during the day who know how to work around their system. Our block of rooms was taken back 3 weeks ago per their policy. So Alfa Club no longer exists in their system.
Unfortunately you guys seem to be serving as guinea pigs with this hotel for the Club. This is the same hotel who will be the Host Hotel for the 40th Anniversary Time Trial and Race in September. The reason I chose this place is they have a great banquet room (the only one in the Valley) that we will use for a large group.
This is stuff that can be ironed out before September. Sorry you guys had to suffer.
See you at the track.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:56 PM

All I need to do is shower and sleep. I don't want to drive very far or pay more than I have to. I vote for something close to the track and cost effective.

Now, on the subject of food, I prefer good food and am willing to pay a bit more for good food. Atmosphere does not mean a whole lot to me. Atmosphere is not a substitute for lousy food. Service should be acquit, which is open to interpretation. I don't remember the name, but there is a great little Italian place that some of us really like.

2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Siince attendance for School is low we are not having our usual group dinner Sat night.
I put this together to hand out tomorrow. The Italian place is Ginos.
See you at the track.

The Lemon Leaf Cafe
653 West Lancaster Boulevard, Lancaster
(661) 942-6500 ‎ • thelemonleaf.com
West of Sierra Hwy. Mediterranean, Greek Cafe/Restaurant

================================================== =========
Gino's Italian Restaurant
44343 Challenger Way, Lancaster
(661) 945-2791 ‎ Italian
10th St E / Challenger Way, South of Ave J

Golden Cantina
4001 Knox Avenue, Rosamond
(661) 256-6737
Close to the track, at the Rosamond Airport Good “Mexican” Food
================================================== ========

The Palmdale Hotel, The Sunset Bar & Grill
300 W. Palmdale Blvd, Palmdale
888) 854-3180
Palmdale Blvd, just west of the 14 Fwy Good “Hotel Food”

Paul Blankenship AROSC
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Big shout out to SteveH and company running the driver's school. Weather was perfect because Paul commanded it. My newly licensed driver had a blast and learned alot of valuable techniques in HPDE class. We could not stay for Sunday due to her school project. Sunday was the time to show up for those who missed this school. Some people had to leave on Sunday and the track was wide open. It was a great opertunity to learn without a 600hp Turbo breathing down your neck. This is the first time I watched the school in action, usually I participate, so I don't see the hard work our instructors are doing. I was tired just watching them jump from student's to student's right seats, running allover the skidpad and manning the gridding chute for the race group. The driver's were beat by the end of the day drinking from the AROSC firehose. Whatever is in our instructor's coffee to keep them hyped and smiling all day long...I want some! Instructor enthusiasm was endless and their smiles contagious on the students. Thanks Guys!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Just got home from the school, had a great time. I wasn't feeling good on Wednesday and Thursday so my brother Pete took my spot while I watched. Did I mention I had a great time?

Saturday's weather was comfortable and I enjoyed the warm sun. Sunday was brutally cold. Dark clouds threatened rain all morning preventing the sun from warming things up. A stiff wind blew constantly out of the Nor'west, the wind chill was brutal. It never did rain, Paul.

Sunday's exercises (time trial class) was different compared to the last time I took the class. The drivers (students) got to learn about passing. The focus seemed to be on passing in turns, safely. It looked like fun and definitely a class I want to take.

2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
Big shout out to SteveH and company running the driver's school. Weather was perfect because Paul commanded it. My newly licensed driver had a blast and learned alot of valuable techniques in HPDE class. We could not stay for Sunday due to her school project. Sunday was the time to show up for those who missed this school. Some people had to leave on Sunday and the track was wide open. It was a great opertunity to learn without a 600hp Turbo breathing down your neck. This is the first time I watched the school in action, usually I participate, so I don't see the hard work our instructors are doing. I was tired just watching them jump from student's to student's right seats, running allover the skidpad and manning the gridding chute for the race group. The driver's were beat by the end of the day drinking from the AROSC firehose. Whatever is in our instructor's coffee to keep them hyped and smiling all day long...I want some! Instructor enthusiasm was endless and their smiles contagious on the students. Thanks Guys!
Bob, just a little side note on the instructors...well for me at least. I was instructing race school with Tony Presto. I woke up friday morning with a wrenching sore throat. In the middle of Friday night I had the shivvers that would not stop. I got up sat almost calling it quits but this is what I saw. ENTHEUISM of the students wanting to learn. I sucked it up, downed some dayquil and started my routine. It is always quite a bit of work, me feet tell me so sunday night, but what really makes it worth while is the ear to ear grin that everyone has on. For me the end of the weekend race makes it worth while, seeing of what was tought was applied.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks...

Thanks for a great weekend and thanks for allowing me to be a sort of 'sit-in' instructor! An event lilke this takes a tremendous amount of work by a dedicated crew and you guys really do a fantastic job.

I had a couple of friends that were taking the school, one in street perf. and one in time trial. Both were over the moon! The street performance guy was walking around on Sunday with that dazed look and stupid grin that first timers often have, talking about building a dedicated race car and working his way up to the race group. You have now doomed the poor guy to a life of automotive competition and all that that entails (sp?), including more fun than he has had in his life. I think fishermen call that 'setting the hook'...

Again, thanks for the great event, the fantastic hospitality, and, dare I say, budding friendship.

Can't wait for Buttonwillow!

Cheers

Mike (Mc)Mulligan

Michael Mulligan
Mulligan Racing Development, 760-945-5991,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mugs914; 02-23-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode