Alfa Romeo Forums banner

L.A. Traffic at 5:30PM- ever destroyed your clutch?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  verdegrrl 
#1 ·
Geez, from what I hear, traffic doesnt die down until past 8:30 or so- bumper to bumper. stop/go, for miles. Throw out bearing already has a whine-vibration to it (mechanic says its OK for a while, and can wait til the clutch needs replacement).

Now, clutch is still fine. Just wondering how much of this kind of beating -1st gear- neutral-stop. 1st gear-neutral-stop, 1st gear........can a spider take????!!!!!

1 yr? 2 yrs?

#4 ·
Traffic is so bad here and weekends offer little relief. All my driving is in stop and go traffic. It gets worse every year.

My TO bearing squeals like a baby elephant if I don't let off the pedal just right. It's been like that for over a year, hasn't gotten any worse.
I won't mind when the clutch finally goes on this car because it'll mean a new TO bearing at last.

#5 ·
I work from home which is ideal for Alfa ownership, but sometimes I have to travel across LA from eastern LA county all the way to west LA. Every time I do this, I have some kind of weird issue come up thanks to the abuse of stop and go driving. Luckily I've never been stranded.

#6 ·
Well, don't do what I did when my GTV6 was my daily driver; my TO bearing made noises for a long time, until it gave up and I was stranded.

It gave new proof to that wise old saying: "The two best tools you can carry in your car are a triple A card and your cellphone".

#7 ·
When you say "for a long time", Cobra, how long was that? Im trying to estimate just how far we can go with this noise......right now, I believe our alfa makes just a low level TO bearing noise. Maybe thats the warning. Wish there was a youtube with a bad bearing.

Thanks.

#9 ·
Yikes! hardly time to make the appointment with the Alfa mech! Thanks for the tip. So far, all we are getting is not so much "noise"/squealling, but I should say, more likely to just be "felt" in the left foot when its on the pedal . Guess we have some time still (praying)

#13 ·
destroys your leg.....LOL. I would fel it too. Just that its Jr's leg, not mine!! Still, I feel for him. And worry. You own a BM with an AT?? Shame on youRobert!!

Seriously, if theres one reason to own an AT, its got to be LA traffic, and nothing else, as I would not own an AT ever, otherwise. Just me.

#14 ·
The BMW - a 2004 325CSi - is my commute car; at least it has paddle shifters and auto/manual modes! I drive 60 miles each way, five days a week from TO to Santa Barbara on the PCH. Long drive but a zen-like peaceful trip along the Pacific Ocean at 5:30 am; takes about an hour. Most importantly, I get up to 43 mpg! The torque converter has a top-end lock mode that eliminates the classical slip of a fluid drive, and I can watch the rpm drop a few hundred as it engages; as long as it's locked and I'm under 75 mph, the computer says I'm getting 40+ mpg; and doing about 2700 rpm as well.

That's about 30,000 miles per year. I'd never abuse my 44 year old Duetto like that!

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.