The New 2012 Fiat 500 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venice, California, USA
Posts: 831
The New 2012 Fiat 500

My girlfriend just bought a new 2012 Fiat 500C Lounge.

She kept her last car, a Volvo 240 DL wagon for 20 years and figures she will keep the Fiat for 20 as well, making this the last car she will ever buy. We decided not to make compromises, she needed to get what she really wanted, including the different options.

She (with my support) told the dealer she didn't want a TomTom and would not pay the extra $1000 for something she didn't want. They found just the car she wanted, 200 miles away.

The leather seats in the Volvo held up so well that she got the leather interior package. That cloth seats were not as comfortable as these leather anyway, the shape is different.

It doesn't show well in these photos, but it has a retractable soft top. In a crash safety report, I read that this car can support six times it's weight in a roll-over.

She insisted on an automatic tranny, although I would have wanted a manual. It's her car not mine, I must remind myself. The six-speed auto has a built-in manual valve body so it can be used in drive or like a paddle shifter. Just tap the shifter (it's where a stick would be) and it shifts.

A sports car it's not, but it feels nice and responsive. I followed her home in the old Volvo, and she out accelerated me getting on the freeway. I had it floored and she wasn't even trying. On the freeway a Smart Car tried to pass her and she goosed it as if she was in some sort of race. The Smart Car couldn't overtake her. When I drive like that I get in trouble!

Fiat, and Alfa Romeo both, used to import cars to the USA years ago. In the 1970's they both stopped for the same reason, they would not compromise the performance of their cars to meet the USA EPA tailpipe emissions. This is the first car Fiat has sold in the US since then. Alfa is still in lets-talk-about-this mode.

The Fiat 500 is another "retro car". The original 500 was made in the 60's and had a 500cc engine. The new 500 has a 1400cc, 16 valve, computerized fuel injection engine with 100 hp. The retractable soft top was also popular at that time in Europe.




RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Gold Subscriber
 
Gregs Garage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Highland, CA
Posts: 100
Very cool! I saw a Fiat in this exact color/soft top combo in Highland this afternoon. It turned in front of me so I only saw it for a second, But I'm starting to see them pretty often, even out here in the IE! This is the first soft top I've seen. I hope they sell alot of them so Fiat stays interested enough to think about the ALFAs!

Greg
1967 Duetto
Gregs Garage is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chatsworth, Ca
Posts: 1,647
So will we see the Fiat at Fr and Italy???

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
sidewaysalfa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venice, California, USA
Posts: 831
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysalfa View Post
So will we see the Fiat at Fr and Italy???
Yes you will

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
Platinum Subscriber
 
Alfisto Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 26,486
Garage
What a Girl Wants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
My girlfriend just bought a new 2012 Fiat 500C Lounge.

She kept her last car, a Volvo 240 DL wagon for 20 years and figures she will keep the Fiat for 20 as well, making this the last car she will ever buy. We decided not to make compromises, she needed to get what she really wanted, including the different options.

She (with my support) told the dealer she didn't want a TomTom and would not pay the extra $1000 for something she didn't want. They found just the car she wanted, 200 miles away.

The leather seats in the Volvo held up so well that she got the leather interior package. That cloth seats were not as comfortable as these leather anyway, the shape is different.

It doesn't show well in these photos, but it has a retractable soft top. In a crash safety report, I read that this car can support six times it's weight in a roll-over.

She insisted on an automatic tranny, although I would have wanted a manual. It's her car not mine, I must remind myself. The six-speed auto has a built-in manual valve body so it can be used in drive or like a paddle shifter. Just tap the shifter (it's where a stick would be) and it shifts.

A sports car it's not, but it feels nice and responsive. I followed her home in the old Volvo, and she out accelerated me getting on the freeway. I had it floored and she wasn't even trying. On the freeway a Smart Car tried to pass her and she goosed it as if she was in some sort of race. The Smart Car couldn't overtake her. When I drive like that I get in trouble!

Fiat, and Alfa Romeo both, used to import cars to the USA years ago. In the 1970's they both stopped for the same reason, they would not compromise the performance of their cars to meet the USA EPA tailpipe emissions. This is the first car Fiat has sold in the US since then. Alfa is still in lets-talk-about-this mode.

The Fiat 500 is another "retro car". The original 500 was made in the 60's and had a 500cc engine. The new 500 has a 1400cc, 16 valve, computerized fuel injection engine with 100 hp. The retractable soft top was also popular at that time in Europe.



You and the dealer were smart to follow her lead in this purchase.

What a Girl Wants!


See the Fiat 500C ad LINK about halfway through the song. http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500c/model...nel=paidsearch

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-29-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Alfisto Steve is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venice, California, USA
Posts: 831
Every day she says, "It was such a nice day I put the top on the way home from work." This is the retractable soft top that she didn't want and I talked her into getting cause we live in Sunny Southern California.

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Registered User
 
veloce49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chevy Chase MD
Posts: 821
I'm a big fan of the new Fiat 500 too. Like the red on red, hadn't seen one before.
The Abarth version is coming soon with a bit more performance.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto (Argento/Nero) - Sold Oct 2014
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
2005 Maserati Coupe GT (Grigio Palladio, Couio)
veloce49 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venice, California, USA
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49 View Post
I'm a big fan of the new Fiat 500 too. Like the red on red, hadn't seen one before.
Allie is very color conscious and didn't really like the red-on-red.
Fiat does use a black top on red body for one of the other models, but not for the Lounge.
Her other choice was tan-on-red, YUK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49 View Post
The Abarth version is coming soon with a bit more performance.
I would have held out for the Abarth version.
The European Abarth has around 180 hp.
Being a 2500 pound car that's a nice power-to-weight ratio.
But, Allie doesn't care about power-to-weight-ratio and that sort of thing.
I know she will be happier with her Lounge.

Her Lounge has 101 hp, 98 bpt, 6-speed automatic and electric seat warmers.

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
veloce49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chevy Chase MD
Posts: 821
I'm sure she is going to love that cinquecento as they were referred to years ago in Italia.
Keep us posted.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto (Argento/Nero) - Sold Oct 2014
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
2005 Maserati Coupe GT (Grigio Palladio, Couio)
veloce49 is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Registered User
 
sandraholley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Wow! Great photos! A while ago, I read an article connected with FIAT. Check this out: Hot hatch lovers look forward to Fiat 500 Abarth debut. The new hot hatch is debuting in the United States very shortly! As the brand is already making in-roads to American dealerships, soon the Fiat 500 Abarth will be at dealerships everywhere. Isn't that great? I want to have one too and liquid silver will be my color of choice!
sandraholley is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Registered User
 
veloce49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chevy Chase MD
Posts: 821
Anyone else get the feeling that sandra works for Fiat (or Fiat dealer)?

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto (Argento/Nero) - Sold Oct 2014
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
2005 Maserati Coupe GT (Grigio Palladio, Couio)
veloce49 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venice, California, USA
Posts: 831
"More Hot Hatches" - sounds like a porno flick.

The Abarth version of the Fiat 500 is expected to be available in the USA as a 2013 model.
Allie's 2012 weighs 2500 pounds, just a bit over "one ton".
There are currently several European Abarth 500 versions.
One has about 180 hp, another is over 200.
There is a non-Abarth 500 that gets 65 mpg (probably diesel).
Allie's 2012 has 100 hp and gets an an estimated 32 mpg.

If the USA Abarth 500 weighs 2500 pounds and has 180 hp,
plus handling improvements, it should be a hot little thing.
About 500 lbs of that could be trimmed off if you want a dedicated track car, Zoom Zoom.

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chatsworth, Ca
Posts: 1,647
Just in from SEMA

Not to sure about 2 of the 500s I saw at SEMA today. From the MoPar people, glue on/stick on stuff to make 5 appearance package versions of the 500. Maybe like a "Mario Andretti" Alfa package from back in the day.
No camera so look for photos elseware.
(SEMA is that big auto aftermarket trade show in Las Vegas, I was there as a vendor)

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
sidewaysalfa is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered User
 
ardo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 100
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ardo123
Very nice. I really like those new 500s too. I want to get a 500 Abarth esseesse though.


Jordan L.
Silver '83 GTV6 - daily driver (RIP)_Red '83 GTV6 - daily driver
ardo123 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
inhistoryclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 572
Dang, and i thought the car was small...
Good choice though!

1992 Acura NSX
2003 Mini S
inhistoryclass is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome