AROSC DE, TT & Race, May 14-15, 2011, Buttonwillow - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis 621 View Post
Well done AROSC! Great track, diverse group of cars, excellent drivers, lots of track time, and amazing weather… can’t ask for more.

Kudos to Terry and those involved for a job well done. Changes to the registration process, run groups, self-tech procedure, safety rules, and others all worked out well.

Colin.
Thanks, Colin. A lot of the changes are from the guys who have been around a long while, and have come up with good ideas. More are coming...

Terry Watson
AROSC Competition Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM

re: the Rimici bros dueling it out on the track.
Watching their great show up in the tower with a Porsche shop owner, Mike. Mentioned it was 2 brothers having some fun together, Then pointed out 1 of their Dad's shop customers was being chased by them. Then pointed out another of the customers was getting mixed up in the drive.
His wheels started turning in head and he mumbled something about how he could create more business for his shop doing the same thing.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM

I drove out on Sunday to spectate. Everybody was having a good time, the weather was behaving and I had fun. Maybe next event our Datsun will be drivable.

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysalfa View Post
re: the Rimici bros dueling it out on the track.
Watching their great show up in the tower with a Porsche shop owner, Mike. Mentioned it was 2 brothers having some fun together, Then pointed out 1 of their Dad's shop customers was being chased by them. Then pointed out another of the customers was getting mixed up in the drive.
His wheels started turning in head and he mumbled something about how he could create more business for his shop doing the same thing.
I met Mike years ago. He was autocrossing a Merkur XR4ti. Met him at that fine SoCal track, Holtville.

Terry Watson
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 PM

What a fantastic weekend! The weather was perfect, and the people (as always) are beyond perfect! Running with the AROSC is like going home to Mom and apple pie with a dash of 100 octane. Thank you each and every one of you!

The online sign-up, and the new tech are a huge improvement.

We showed up Friday evening in time to see a few GTVs being offloaded and walk the track.

Saturday dawned bright and gorgeous without the threat of heat that is so often a hallmark of this track.

Since my car (Joker) is a track only car with virtually nil ground clearance, trailering it is a royal pain. BR Racing takes the pain out of that along with many other details.

It was nice to see the usual blend of street and track cars. A newer Saab.

Joker has had shakedown issues for the last 4 events I've tried to use it. Saturday morning was no different, with the clutch master sticking and not releasing the clutch when the pedal was released. That resulted in a surprise spin in turn 3/4 as I went from 4 to 3 when the revs rose, but the clutch never re-engaged in 3rd. Thankfully I could get it going and limped back to the garage. BR immediately set about replacing the master (we brought along a spare that looked suspiciously like an Alfa unit). I never even lost a session. Great going guys!

Meanwhile I cruised the pits.

A couple of BMWs that never made it to Bimmerfest in Pasadena.

And Santo's garage brought along an impressive collection of personal and customer cars. Wow!

A couple of transaxle cars.

Nizam had a little off, and was blown clean by compressed air.

The sun slowly sinking we dug out the marinated lamb chops and brined chicken for a trackside bbq.

As the light faded, we set out for questionable comforts of Motel 6, 10 miles away. Man! We'd gladly pay a bit more for a softer bed, fluffier pillows, and towels that didn't scratch. Makes camping look attractive!

Sunday morning featured dramatic 'Top Gear' clouds with showers looming. Nizam was his usual bubbly self - me the morning grouch.

If anything, the Santo garages were even more impressive!

The ultimate touch was the Sunday inclusion of a real unrestored Alfa TZ. What a treat. Originally more exclusive and expensive than the Ferrari GTO, it's now worth more than both our Ferraris combined! Great to see it out on the track!

Larry's monster GTV with a 12v V6 stuffed under the hood and looking like it belongs there.

Loved the boots.

The new and old.

Our nephew came by and posed in the car.

A few on-track pics by Steve, the official Buttonwillow photographer.

Nizam.

Jess.

Me.

A friend broght his cat to the track, and our R32 became a cat house (lol).

Finally it was time to load the cars and go home. Another memorable weekend with the AROSC. Hopefully Joker is now fully debugged and I can get better acquainted with the car. Can't wait for the next event!

post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Those are some of the best event pictures I have ever seen! You have quite an eye!

Terry Watson
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
Those are some of the best event pictures I have ever seen! You have quite an eye!
DITTO THAT! I just don't recall my trailer being that tidy inside.

Love the TZ pictures.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

April, when are you going to compile this into a book? Start writing!
Andrew
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks guys. You're very gracious. We just love hanging out with you folks.

Thanks to our trackside support, I love having the extra time to go take pics - something I could not do before if driving.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sniady
Yes... I had a great time as well. Did not get to bring the Alfa, but I brought the beastly M3 Saturday. Here's a clip of fabrizio and I taking some laps, and loosing it in the bus stop.

Sniady
'how the devil do they do that with a live rear axle?'
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Everytime I look at the pictures, I chuckle at April's car's "good luck" mascot.

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniady View Post
Yes... I had a great time as well. Did not get to bring the Alfa, but I brought the beastly M3 Saturday. Here's a clip of fabrizio and I taking some laps, and loosing it in the bus stop.
Sniady - those were some blistering laps. You really flew over Lost Hill. Too bad the camera didn't pick up the sounds of the beastly V8 under the hood.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Colby View Post
DITTO THAT! I just don't recall my trailer being that tidy inside.
I don't recall my boots looking quite that ratty either...

Michael Mulligan
Mulligan Racing Development, 760-945-5991,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
I met Mike years ago. He was autocrossing a Merkur XR4ti. Met him at that fine SoCal track, Holtville.
Ah yes.. Holtville!

I think NASA used that track to test Moon buggy suspension but later decided it was unrealistic as it was way too rough to be a proper simulation.

Michael Mulligan
Mulligan Racing Development, 760-945-5991,
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 PM

The black Caterham Seven guy here.

I'd like to thank you all for a very nice weekend. I'm getting back in the game after an extended absence and used the event to get the rust out of my system.

Very civilized group on and off track with no hothead maneuvers and a very predictable/competent behavior while at speed. I hope I didn't piss anyone off out there, and if I did I sincerely apologize.

A special thank to Nizam who I had a few interesting duels with in the point by group.

I'll be back next time.

/Magnus F.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode