A legend passes away- - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

A legend passes away-

Alan Ward has just informed me that his former long time partner Don Deane passed away on Monday in Florida. Donald was the "silent" partner in this relationship- beavering away in the bowels of the shop -making it happen. To most he probably seemed shy and even gruff on occasion but once you knew him or he opened up with a story a smile would soon appear. I was lucky enough to spend some time with him during our Firehawk campaign -sometimes on road trips moving the car around. He loved cars, not just Alfas and there was little he did'nt know about them. I never knew him to shy away from any task. He is someone I will never forget- a fixture in the Southern California Alfa "scene" and a great human being. Fred Schueddekopp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Prayers for Don's family and friends, and may he rest in peace.

Thank you for letting us know, Fred. Ward and Deane Racing was a great outfit and they so very much enriched our Alfa community and the racing scene.

Godspeed, Don.

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Fred,

Thanks for letting us know. Don was one of a kind. I have many memories of our days at Ward and Deane. Who could forget the FISH!

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Garage
I am not quite sure what to say. I have known Don since the late 60's. Quiet, but always sure of what was needed to be done to make things right. Alan and Don were a formidable team. And always willing to experiment to make our Alfas faster. I still have many W and D parts on my Duetto. Too many of the old Alfista are no longer with us. I wish Don many happy hours fishing at his favorite spot. Godspeed, Don. And condolences to Don and Alan.
Karen Dale Macgowan EP Duetto
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

More thoughts-

Thanks for posting your thoughts- for those who did not know -Alan and Don loved deep-sea fishing out of San Diego. One or two weeks out at a time- sometimes coming back with alot of sashimi-quality bluefin tuna. The call would go out to come and get it. A conversation today with Larry Harvey reminded me again of how well-read Donald was -particularly in the area of WW2. It's been on my mind to do something fun with Alan sometime- a dinner/roast? Let me know what you think, Fred.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Garage
If someone could PM me with Alan's current phone number or address, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Karen Dale Macgowan EP Duetto
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM

RIP, Don...
Don was the ultimate fabricator... when the engineers came up with a new spring-rate, it was Don who got it coiled and Ward & Deane that tested it. The "post-Auto-Delta" no longer "door handle scraping Leaning-Leana" stiff front spring set-up we all employee today was developed at Ward & Deane.
My current race winning GTV tub was welded up for stiffness by Don Deane. It is categorically the stiffest GTV in existence.. and, as a result, the best handling... how else could an old geezer like me whip so many whippersnappers?

Let's have an OLD Alfitsi gathering (while we still can). How about a tribute to Alan Ward? I've known Alan since 1963... 47 YEARS! Yikes!
Willow Springs seems like the likely place (RIR is no more).
Current AROSC board take notice! Let's get a plan going.
Thanks.

[FONT=Arial Black]OldMaster[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Clemente[/FONT]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmefred View Post
Alan Ward has just informed me that his former long time partner Don Deane passed away on Monday in Florida. Donald was the "silent" partner in this relationship- beavering away in the bowels of the shop -making it happen. To most he probably seemed shy and even gruff on occasion but once you knew him or he opened up with a story a smile would soon appear. I was lucky enough to spend some time with him during our Firehawk campaign -sometimes on road trips moving the car around. He loved cars, not just Alfas and there was little he did'nt know about them. I never knew him to shy away from any task. He is someone I will never forget- a fixture in the Southern California Alfa "scene" and a great human being. Fred Schueddekopp.
I never knew him, and as an east coaster really only ever heard about the 'Ward' part of Ward and Deane. My loss. The small fraction of their work that I was familiar with was enough for me to develop a deep appreciation for what they brought to the Alfa community.

Thanks for passing this along.

RIP Don..

bs
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 AM

A Legend Passes Away ...

I never met him, personally, and this is really drawing on memory recall; it's the deep sea tuna fishing that brought this to the surface -- I remember Pat getting a telephone call, making a drive to San Diego, and bringing home some "fresh" tuna. He was a fishaholic, I'm certainly not. My best guess, is it was from one of Don's catches.

With my best wishes and condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time. Another loss to the Alfa community, in general, and racing, specifically.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 10-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
... It's been on my mind to do something fun with Alan sometime- a dinner/roast? Let me know what you think, Fred.
Over the years I have spoken with Alan at length, and his guidance (and products) have been invaluable, but I have never met him in person... If you do something for him, please give us as much advance warning as you can, for I would be glad to attend such a tribute...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting your thoughts- for those who did not know -Alan and Don loved deep-sea fishing out of San Diego. One or two weeks out at a time- sometimes coming back with alot of sashimi-quality bluefin tuna. The call would go out to come and get it. A conversation today with Larry Harvey reminded me again of how well-read Donald was -particularly in the area of WW2. It's been on my mind to do something fun with Alan sometime- a dinner/roast? Let me know what you think, Fred.
How about an Alan Ward tribute weekend at an AROSC event. I'm sure most west coast vintage race Alfa's would show up and AROSC could sure use some help with attendence at their events. Would be nice to have a 20+ car vintage Alfa grid.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM

QUOTE ORIGINALY BY JRCLEM " Let's have an OLD Alfitsi gathering (while we still can). How about a tribute to Alan Ward? I've known Alan since 1963... 47 YEARS! Yikes!
Willow Springs seems like the likely place (RIR is no more). Current AROSC board take notice! Let's get a plan going. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by italcarguy View Post
How about an Alan Ward tribute weekend at an AROSC event. I'm sure most west coast vintage race Alfa's would show up and AROSC could sure use some help with attendence at their events. Would be nice to have a 20+ car vintage Alfa grid.
Lets hold this thought, for now. AROSC is getting next years competition schedule going right now. The rest of the club schedule will be done first week of December.
Hmmmmm. . . . .

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Garage
I was told about Ward & Deane from John McGarry about 20 years ago (John had a few Mr Auto Parts stores in the South Bay; Torrance, Redondo Beach, and there may have been others). I visited the W & D shop in Gardena on El Segundo Blvd to have their magic done on my '86 Spider. Don did the work on my car and I do remember (vaguely) that it was Don who handed over the keys when I went to pick up the car.

May Don rest in peace.

Steven Leth
'66 Giulia Super / '86 Spider Graduate

Last edited by alfa63; 11-06-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: grammar
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Ward & Deane performance alighnment specifications.

Does any one have these to share for a 105GTV.

Thank you,
Mike Juneau
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode