Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider. Need advice. - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Robert and shadow. He is there to stay, I believe. Sure, he will pay taxes....probably automatically deducted at work. Will have to register car soon, I feel.

S Cal is nice.....I as there for a few days in Feb. Traffic is the only thing. 1/2 hr to go 6 miles....LOL.

Guess no where is perfect. have to go where work is basically. For the movies its Burbank and surrounding.........

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 AM

The one that matters most is insurance. If he maintains an out-of state registration and insurance and gets a Calif. paycheck, his insurance company could deny a claim - he'd probably get a lower insurance rate, and they don't like that. The state and all insurance companies trade data...

Similarly, the state is jealous of it revenue. They won't come looking, but if he gets a ticket, the Man might figure it out. Not worth the hassle. Besides, California is a nice place to belong to. Lower taxes than New York City....

Robert
post #123 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
The one that matters most is insurance. If he maintains an out-of state registration and insurance and gets a Calif. paycheck, his insurance company could deny a claim - he'd probably get a lower insurance rate, and they don't like that. The state and all insurance companies trade data...

Similarly, the state is jealous of it revenue. They won't come looking, but if he gets a ticket, the Man might figure it out. Not worth the hassle. Besides, California is a nice place to belong to. Lower taxes than New York City....

Robert
Thaks again, Robert, for your personal insight. Good point- madderafac, maybe tommorrow, I wil call my auto ins agent (she is a good agent/friend), and see what she also thinks. Youre right- who needs to gamble when a claim arises. Bad enough he has an alfa to worry about...lol

But, I dont get what you mean by the state is jealous.the man will figure it out. Who, the sheriff? Whats the state of cal got to be jealous about (you mean insurance status being Florida? where we should be giving the insurance business to Calif agents?)

Thanks, man.

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM

I meant registration. A portion of the registration is a property tax; the rest helps run the DMV. That's State Income! If you live in So Cal and are not registered, there are a lot of penalties, as well as the back-due fees. We have a lot of Arizona and Nevada cars that use a business address in those states to avoid the tax. For an old car like an 87 Alfa, there is not much tax in the registration, so it's cheap (my 79 Truck is only $75 total fee plus tax). For new cars, the tax portion can be substantial (over $1000 per year), hence folks buying new cars in Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Robert
post #125 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I get it, Robert. Jr just got back to LA from visiting home for the weekend. He said its time to start the process. Why mess around....

Thanks

87 spider veloce
post #126 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Sigh....its time. Looking for a smog station nearest to glendale, but doesnt have to be. I know they charge differently. Whats the usual cost?

Thanks.

87 spider veloce
post #127 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Moving to Southern California with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
Sigh....its time. Looking for a smog station nearest to glendale, but doesnt have to be. I know they charge differently. Whats the usual cost?

Thanks.
I had my 2003 Santa Fe smogged in February and it was $87 without having to pay the $10 for the certificate that is electronically filed with Sacramento because I had a coupon for the certificate.

Glendale is generally higher for everything than the area that I live in.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #128 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip/your experience, Cheryl. I have say, about 3-4 stations I can choose from in Glendale, Ive found (figured I can just google smog testing Glendale). Guess I can simply call them to ask them- should be easy. Wish me(us) luck. I heard as long as you do have a CAT, headers should not be a big deal (crossing fingers).........LOL

87 spider veloce
post #129 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM

From Glendale, you're not far from Santos's in Northridge. Anthony is a well-reputed BB member and fanatic Alfa Racer:

Santo's Italian Car Service
8816 Amigo Avenue
Northridge, CA 91324
Tel: 818-701-1614
post #130 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Dang, went for a pre test and failed. Glad we did do a pre test, though (thanks Robert, for that recomendation!) Said it was probably running rich. Off to the alfa mechanic.........Hope it doesnt need a cat...

87 spider veloce
post #131 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 PM

I didn't have the time to read all 9 pages of responses. But...

I have a 76 Alfetta. Yup needs smog and a cat. A simple one, but it needs it. I got mine at a muffler shop. It was a generic, but they had one that was close in size, shape and color. It was a lot less money than a brand-specific item. btw- It still passes smog with a "cheap" cat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode