Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider. Need advice. - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Drivin up to tallahassee tommorow....graduation for film school. Man....its over...!!

Then, get the alfa down here back "home" for final go over maintenence before the shipping to Cal. Fix ac, solder radiator pin hole, fix windshield leak. Thats it. May be the last time I work on this car......(tear starting, left eye, rolling down left cheekbone...knowing it will have to be relegated to a mech in S Cal.....)

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Garage
LOL distance and travel time hmmm. Those don't always make sense here in Hollywierd. Wilshire Blvd to Hollywood Blvd anywhere from 10-90 minutes or more. Depends on time of day, traffic, construction, weather, movie premiers, parades, protests. Figure average 15-30 min.

'87 Series 3
post #78 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Garage
Actual mileage from Wilshire to Hollywood isn't that far. To give you an idea, if you look on the map, distance from Burbank to Pico and Hauser where John's ALFA is located, was less than the maximum towing distance for basic AAA towing, less than 7 miles maybe.?. If you have street names, I can give you an idea on time, but mileage wise, my odometer is broken so its kind of hard to give you an idea of distance. If you start asking about areas in the canyons, then that's throwing a bunch of curves and vertical travel into the mix, miles and travel time can be even more mixed up there.

A thought of a more practical nature, if you're trying to figure out what type of rental policy to get, maybe do the cheapest policy (if you're considering the 699 place) for a week or 2, driving around the area needed, seeing what the mileage averages to for the day/week, then change it up to the unlimited if necessary. If he's using it for basic transportation to and from work, and waiting to do the playing and exploring until after settled in and the ALFA arrives, it might save you a couple $$.

'87 Series 3

Last edited by shadowburn; 12-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM

It's not so much as how far. It's a lifestyle issue. You just get into driving a lot. I've a friend's daughter that expected me to drive her across the parking lot at a big mall! I live west of the Valley, and think nothing of driving the 12 miles to Zuma Beach for an afternoon, or 15 miles the other way to the ranch where my horse lives for a sunset ride. Hollywood is 25 miles away (which is 20 minutes on a weekend morning to two hours in commute time) LAX is 1 1/2 hours from anywhere....

Robert

Last edited by 60sRacer; 12-10-2010 at 05:19 PM.
post #80 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Moving to Southern California with 87 Spider, Need Advice

I do not live in congested LA, but instead, in a small city in Orange County within 4 miles of my workplace. Having said that, if you take my annual mileage and divide it by the days in the year, I average 30 miles a day.

You miss a freeway transition or your exit and the mileage adds up fast getting back to where you wanted to be; or you find the city has a bunch of one way streets that you're trying to navigate to get where you want to be. Another mileage builder, driving around the mall or anywhere else looking for a parking place.

I love the comment about LAX being 1-1/2 hours from anywhere; that is so true. I could drive from San Diego to LAX faster than I could drive from my house to LAX fighting the traffic. I haven't used that airport for the last 15-20 years. I use Long Beach or John Wayne.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 12-10-2010 at 08:25 PM.
post #81 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
....graduation for film school. Man....its over...!!
Ooops, almost forgot!! Congratulations!! To him and to you...

Quote:
...May be the last time I work on this car...
Only until you come out to visit.

'87 Series 3
post #82 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Joe, a portable GPS is worth its weight in gold here and will help minimize mileage wasted while driving around lost. A little in-car compass really helps too.

'92 spider veloce
post #83 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Before GPS, everybody in SoCal carried one or more volumes of the Thomas Guide, a regional map service. These BOOKS of maps - the LA one is an inch thick - are so ubiquitous that every Taxi carries one, and the realtor's MLS includes Thomas coordinates for every house listing. Now a computer will print MapQuest with directions, as will Google Maps. But a GPS has a nice lady that takes good care of you without complaining when you miss a turn...

At least its MUCH safer driving here than in Boston, and lots less potholes than NYC.

Robert
post #84 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Oh, and two more helpful hints: Sepulveda is pronounced : Seh-Pul-Vid- Ah
emphasis on "Pul" and if you're living in the Hollywood area, Fountain is your friend.

'92 spider veloce

Last edited by jillian70; 12-11-2010 at 11:01 AM.
post #85 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post
Ooops, almost forgot!! Congratulations!! To him and to you...

Thanks, Shadow. What a journey....for him AND us! grad ceremony included only 27 kids. Very private/VIP....like Hollywood Gala night, college equivalent. First movie premiers, then Catered/wine/music/black tie/photograper backdrop. Never woulda figured....daughter who graduated same morning at another college (held in a football stadium was shocked).
Only until you come out to visit.

Thanks, Shadow. What a journey....for him AND us! grad ceremony included only 27 kids. Very private/VIP....like Hollywood Gala night, college equivalent. First movie premiers, then Catered/wine/music/black tie/photograper backdrop. Never woulda figured....daughter who graduated same morning at another college (held in a football stadium was shocked).

Only until you come out to visit.[/QUOTE]

Im banking on it!

87 spider veloce
post #86 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Geez, an hour and a half from LAX to say, silver lake/Miracle mile?

Yes, gonna take GPS in the suitcase. One way streets are a pain. Like in San Fran, I figure.

87 spider veloce
post #87 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Now, we have to book a hotel. No rock bottom bedbug infested/broken springs in matress places. Moderate. Any tips are greatly appreciated, like all of the good advice here so far from the friendly Alfa community.......

87 spider veloce
post #88 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Oh.....kinda a unrelated issue, but as our alfa leaks a few drops, couold that be a big deal with say, a Landlord/Cali pollution laws?? A garage is not guaranteed, so a cardboard under the car may not be practical outside......

87 spider veloce
post #89 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
...hour and a half from LAX to say, silver lake/Miracle mile...
Can be done in 30 minutes. More like 45 minutes to an hour.

Quote:
...book a hotel. No rock bottom bedbug infested/broken springs in matress places. Moderate...
Can you be more specific on the area you need? Could help in recommending a place in the area you're going to be the most.

Quote:
Oh.....kinda a unrelated issue, but as our alfa leaks a few drops, couold that be a big deal with say, a Landlord/Cali pollution laws?? A garage is not guaranteed, so a cardboard under the car may not be practical outside......
Wouldn't even worry about the leaking anywhere you find. I would really try to find a place with covered off street parking. The parking spot is the more important, covered is a plus. I know you say its not guaranteed, but he will appreciate more than you can imagine, a reserved parking spot.

'87 Series 3
post #90 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post
Can be done in 30 minutes. More like 45 minutes to an hour.

Can you be more specific on the area you need? Could help in recommending a place in the area you're going to be the most.

Wouldn't even worry about the leaking anywhere you find. I would really try to find a place with covered off street parking. The parking spot is the more important, covered is a plus. I know you say its not guaranteed, but he will appreciate more than you can imagine, a reserved parking spot.
Youre up early Shadow! Good to know its 30-45 minutes! Man, 1 1/2 hrs seemed like kinda far.

So, OK, I guess we should target a hotel near where I mentioned (near could mean within say, 20 minute drive), silver lake/miracle mile/near Hollywood. We found an offer, a special rate for $80-90 ish /night near Universal Studios (plus $18/day for parking). Maybe Im too optimistic. In Orlando $100 gets you a Hilton (outside Disney, of course).

87 spider veloce

Last edited by Joe Papa Sr; 12-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode