Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider. Need advice. - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL/S. Cal
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post
If you get the manifold, you're also going to need the downpipes. Get both of them used, cut off the old cat, slipfit in a new one, and may be possible you won't really need a welder. Depends on how the header mated up to the rest of the system, and if the pipes are way off from where they would be compared to stock.

If he finds Santos too far, he has other choices. Being in LA/Hollywood, he'll be lucky, as he'll have a small network of ALFA mechanics around the area. He'll also have ALFA Italia, Omega Motorsports, ALFA Milano, and my personal favorite, Benny at John's ALFA Romance.

While changing your setup back to stock is a little more insurance that there won't be a problem with smog/registration, its no guarantee. If your current setup is working, with a cat and O2 sensor, if it was brought into any of these ALFA mechanics to get smogged, they will probably use there favorite smog place, and it will probably pass visually (not talking about having it "passed"). Even if he brought it into a place himself, I bet it would pass. For the most part, the people at these smog places are not really familiar with ALFAs at all. My experience anyway. Last time I went, they still put a stick in the gas filler to make sure it still had the restriction for unleaded fuel only. Seriously, where the hell do they even sell leaded fuel in California, let alone the rest of the states. They looked to see if there was an O2 sensor, but not if it was actually connected. Didn't even care or know there was a 2 piece manifold in place of the 1 piece. Oh, every time I go to get smogged, I am told my timing is off if I pass or don't pass! I just say, "really?" and walk away.
Thanks, Shadow. Yeah, not being sure where Santo was (other than in back of cereal box), I asked about him, but if there are other helpful mahcs near Hollywood, better yet. Good advice on the smog techs.....they dont see many alfas, Im sure. Even cops, once one asked me "what kind of car is that"?

Didnt know about down pipes. Sounding like a project/other variables to consider. I may take a chance and have my son see one of the "guys" and have them smog it. Theres something to be said about one stop shopping, eh?

Now, IF it fails, done they give you say, some time to fix all? 2 weeeks? a year (LOL)??

Oh, gees, on the tip of the exhause is one of those fat Borla tips (chrome plated, 4" diameter, maybe 18" long), not the stock plumbers pipe, Is that a no no?

Thanks, Shadow.

87 spider veloce
Joe Papa Sr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
lawrencedesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Penn Valley, CA
Posts: 398
Joe,
I don't think the tip will make a difference. That seems to be one area that is "free."
Santo's shop is in Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. That's about 25 minutes from Hollywood on a good day.
The shop your son uses will depend a lot on where he ends up working/living. A great majority of TV/film production is no longer done in Hollywood, but rather out in the valley. Hollywood, in general, is not a great place to work or live. But he will have a lot of choices out here.
Yes, I am still in the business. Shooting "The Price Is Right" and "Melissa & Joey," a sitcom for ABC family channel. Price is in Hollywood, M&J in the valley.
I would be glad to talk with your son when he gets here, give him a tour of the studio... He can check out what I have been doing under Keeth Lawrence on my IMBD page.
...Keeth

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
lawrencedesigns is offline  
post #48 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Registered User
 
jillian70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 330
here's the guy for you in the hollywood area-
John's Alfa Romance - Los Angeles, CA

I didn't write the yelp review ( although i do plan to add to the acclaim soon myself)
but Benny's done quite a bit of work both big and minor refreshing my car already and I'm very happy with his work, speed, and his labor rate is very reasonable, about $65/hr as I recall.
jillian70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered User
 
shadowburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ca.
Posts: 627
Garage
Like Keeth said, tip shouldn't make a difference. From the cat back, they don't really seem to care. One muffler, two or even no mufflers, glasspacks or fart cans, it really doesn't seem to matter when smogging. Cops may at some point, if your pumping out some serious decibel levels, but its amazing how loud some of the vehicles are, without being pulled over.

Not too sure about all the nuances of what happens if you can't pass smog. Somebody else might chime in and give some good info. From what I understand though, if you've done everything possible to get your car to where it should pass and it still doesn't, I believe there is some kind of waiver that may allow you to still drive. If you don't pass, you have up to at least the time of when your plate tags expire, before you have real problems with being pulled over etc.

Cool, nice review for Benny!

'87 Series 3
shadowburn is offline  
post #50 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL/S. Cal
Posts: 3,486
Good to hear about the tip of the exhaust....man, at least one add on is legal.

Oh, I should have mentioned before-my son will be probably living in Silver Lake/Los Feloz(?). Not sure what shop would be best/closest??

87 spider veloce
Joe Papa Sr is offline  
post #51 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL/S. Cal
Posts: 3,486
[QUOTE=lawrencedesigns;928095]Joe,
I don't think the tip will make a difference. That seems to be one area that is "free."
Santo's shop is in Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. That's about 25 minutes from Hollywood on a good day.
The shop your son uses will depend a lot on where he ends up working/living. A great majority of TV/film production is no longer done in Hollywood, but rather out in the valley. Hollywood, in general, is not a great place to work or live. But he will have a lot of choices out here.
Yes, I am still in the business. Shooting "The Price Is Right" and "Melissa & Joey," a sitcom for ABC family channel. Price is in Hollywood, M&J in the valley.
I would be glad to talk with your son when he gets here, give him a tour of the studio... He can check out what I have been doing under Keeth Lawrence on my IMBD page.
...Keeth[/QUOTE

Thanks Keeth for the gracious invitation! (PM on its way.....)

87 spider veloce
Joe Papa Sr is offline  
post #52 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
jillian70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 330
silver lake - excellent choice!

Joe I live in silver lake (before that in los feliz) and Benny at Johns Alfa will be the closest shop if your son ends up in either neighborhood. In case you don't know this already they're right next to each other.
Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to Benny on surface streets and most of that time is waiting for traffic lights to change
If you need any info about the neighborhoods just ask- I'm happy to help!
jillian70 is offline  
post #53 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL/S. Cal
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian70 View Post
Joe I live in silver lake (before that in los feliz) and Benny at Johns Alfa will be the closest shop if your son ends up in either neighborhood. In case you don't know this already they're right next to each other.
Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to Benny on surface streets and most of that time is waiting for traffic lights to change
If you need any info about the neighborhoods just ask- I'm happy to help!
Thanks, man! I will keep this in mind. I trust Benny can do what Santo does...preping the car /pass smog? Thats the ticket.

87 spider veloce
Joe Papa Sr is offline  
post #54 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Registered User
 
shadowburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ca.
Posts: 627
Garage
Nice area, good restaurants, shops, bars, clubs, etc. I'm in that area just about everyday. Pretty good location in relation to the different studios.

Benny can help prep for smog and tell him where to go to test, or if he doesn't want to bother with bringing it to smog on his own, could probably take care of that as well. However you'd want to have it done.

'87 Series 3
shadowburn is offline  
post #55 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL/S. Cal
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post
Nice area, good restaurants, shops, bars, clubs, etc. I'm in that area just about everyday. Pretty good location in relation to the different studios.

Benny can help prep for smog and tell him where to go to test, or if he doesn't want to bother with bringing it to smog on his own, could probably take care of that as well. However you'd want to have it done.
Too Much. Thanks, shad. This will help to know theres some help!



Regards,
Joe

87 spider veloce
Joe Papa Sr is offline  
post #56 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,258
While you're still on a FL license, go to any smog station. All of them - including "Test Only" places - can do a "pre test". No certificate fee, and usually only a little discount for a follow-up offical test, but you can find out how your car as-is will do. You likely don't need the 87 manifold - a euro type cast two piece is OEM, just not to your car, and likely will pass. Tube and chrome headers will not. It's only a visual inspection for things on the official list.

One thing NOT to do is get an official test cold. If you fail, your vehicle is declared a "gross polluter" and must be sidelined or repaired within something like 30 days. No guarantee it will ever pass, and if it doesn't your FUBAR.

I agree with going to Santos. He's a BB member, a dedicated Alfa racer, and one of the best in SoCal. And a nice guy too!

If your son is actually a student he can remain on his FL license as a non-resident student. Just be sure you update his location with the insurance co. Yes, that will likely change your rates, but a major accident could get you canceled retroactively (i.e no coverage at all!). Insurance co's do not exchange data with CA DMV.

Robert
60sRacer is offline  
post #57 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered User
 
Pat Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,630
Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
While you're still on a FL license, go to any smog station. All of them - including "Test Only" places - can do a "pre test". No certificate fee, and usually only a little discount for a follow-up offical test, but you can find out how your car as-is will do. You likely don't need the 87 manifold - a euro type cast two piece is OEM, just not to your car, and likely will pass. Tube and chrome headers will not. It's only a visual inspection for things on the official list.

One thing NOT to do is get an official test cold. If you fail, your vehicle is declared a "gross polluter" and must be sidelined or repaired within something like 30 days. No guarantee it will ever pass, and if it doesn't your FUBAR.

I agree with going to Santos. He's a BB member, a dedicated Alfa racer, and one of the best in SoCal. And a nice guy too!

If your son is actually a student he can remain on his FL license as a non-resident student. Just be sure you update his location with the insurance co. Yes, that will likely change your rates, but a major accident could get you canceled retroactively (i.e no coverage at all!). Insurance co's do not exchange data with CA DMV.

Robert
I'm not sure what information you're referring to that the insurance companies do not report to the CA DMV, unless you're referring to out of state insurance companies.

They have become much more sophisticated in their notification procedures. Out of state law enforcement agencies do notify the CA DMV of outstanding tickets in their state. Also all California insurance agencies, to my knowledge, report every bit of information they have to the DMV, including missing your insurance payment date. The DMV will automatically send you a notice that you are driving on a suspended license due to no insurance coverage. This has been in effect for some time.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
Pat Braden is offline  
post #58 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,258
Cheryl - My point was that there are valid and legal out-of-state people living in California. Insurance companies need to have valid information on their risks, such as the location where the vehicle is driven, but do not (because there are valid reasons to have a valid California location with a Florida license) report an address change to the DMV. They do report valid insurance for state residents for purposes of registration (insurance is required to register a vehicle), but not for non-california residents - these reports go to the state-of-registration. Mostly they gather data from DMV on citations, which again affects their actuarial risks, but today most states share all this data.

Robert
60sRacer is offline  
post #59 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered User
 
Pat Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,630
Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Cheryl - My point was that there are valid and legal out-of-state people living in California. Insurance companies need to have valid information on their risks, such as the location where the vehicle is driven, but do not (because there are valid reasons to have a valid California location with a Florida license) report an address change to the DMV. They do report valid insurance for state residents for purposes of registration (insurance is required to register a vehicle), but not for non-california residents - these reports go to the state-of-registration. Mostly they gather data from DMV on citations, which again affects their actuarial risks, but today most states share all this data.

Robert
Robert,

I totally agree with you that there are legal and valid ways to live in California without making it your permanent address. Being an enrolled student in an university is one of them. Maintaining a permanent address out of state and continuing to file your income tax from that address are two others. Any W-2 issued will show that the wages are being earned out of state and after a certain period of time, it will no longer be considered a temporary move, unless there is a contract that states the specific parameters. Yes, there are ways to accomplish it, but you must always be aware of law changes and what agency talks to whom so that you don't get caught up in a bunch of time-consuming red tape.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
Pat Braden is offline  
post #60 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
shadowburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ca.
Posts: 627
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
...You likely don't need the 87 manifold - a euro type cast two piece is OEM, just not to your car, and likely will pass...
I agree with you on all of this but, while the two piece manifold is OEM for other years, its not part of the OEM setup for the 87 and its emission control equipment, therefore it is not legal to use in the 87 in Ca. Just because its OEM, does not make it legal unfortunately. Since it looks original to the car, and most likely the smog testers don't know what the original exhaust manifold looks like, you are right in that it will most likely pass visual inspection.

Not trying to nit pick what you said because I do agree with you, but did want to try and clarify the OEM thing. I hope my post helps and doesn't cause confusion.

While legally registered in Florida though, it really wouldn't make a difference here in Ca, if it is exempt from testing in Florida.

'87 Series 3

Last edited by shadowburn; 10-15-2010 at 09:10 AM.
shadowburn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome