Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider. Need advice. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencedesigns View Post
My suggestion, since the car will be in S. Calif, is to take it to Santo's and let him handle it. After visiting a number of "certified smog locations" and having nothing but grief, I have done this will all of my Alfa's. Santos will take care of whatever is legally necessary to pass the test, and then get it smogged for you.
This is good advice. The smog test procedure is pretty user unfriendly to walk-in customers - if your car fails, the test center is supposed to report that failure to Sacramento. However, when the car is brought to the tester by a repair shop - especially one they work with on a regular basis - then if there is a problem they will let the shop fix it before considering the test "official".

Also the repair shop will know what modifications their testing buddy will or will not pass. Something like a home made AAV might get ignored, especially by an emissions tester who regularly works with an Alfa repair shop.

Santos has a great reputation, and I would encourage you to use them. However, if you happen to settle somewhere that isn't close to their Northridge location, any competent repair shop can work on a Bosch injected Alfa, and handle the smog thing. I use some guys down here in south Orange County who work on a wide range of European imports, and they have no difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn
Keep the Fl plates, registration, driver's license as long as you can. If you don't have to get an inspection in Florida and just have to send them your payment to renew, keep the plates. Fly back to renew the driver's license, if you have to get a picture taken. Keep the less expensive Florida insurance (if it is cheaper).
Boy, I'm not sure I agree. I do concur that you can get away with driving with out of state plates - California roads are full of them, what with tourists, transients, etc. But the insurance thing would scare me - seems that if you had a claim, the insurance company might discover the scam, and refuse to pay. Plus, it sounds like license fees are cheaper here than in Florida - insurance may well be higher - but the sum total is probably about the same. It is also useful to have a local drivers license for ID purposes.

Be sure to attend some AROSC events once you arrive!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again, people. So much advice....one should be that lucky. So, yeah, insurance is something not to fool with. I need to get "santo's" #....anybody know? Where's Santo?? (no pun relating to game on back of cereal boxes).......

What could Santo charge for an inspection/quality control check?

LA move should not be "temporary". It will be a job/internship. Once the smog test passes/is dealt with., I have no problem doing things right (registering/residents lisence). I dont like messing with cops/inventing stories/etc, and dont advise it to a younger guy starting out in a foreign land.....LOL

Hey, Thanks for the invitation for joining the local club there. Maybe if he has time from the film studio he could get away (that schedule sure would be easier than film school, for sure!!)

Regards,
J P Sr

87 spider veloce
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

The number to Santo's Italian Car Service is: 1-818-701-1614. They are in Northridge, California. You can also try a Private Message (PM) to "ITALCARGUY". The website is: Santo's Italian Car Service

Hope this helps, they've always done right by me.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post

If you want to go through the hassle of doing the change right away, smog testing shouldn't be difficult. Probably best to establish residency first, then smog. If you don't/can't pass go to a gold shield testing station, go through the process and have the state pay for your smog repairs.
Too Much, shadow, you mean someone else can pay for my repair ifn it dont pass???!!! hey alfa forum members, why didnt yous mention this before....LOL!

Gold Shield Testing Station.....hmm, dont tell me you need to be on Govt assistance income/welfare to be able to qualify.......

Im gonna look for that website, shadow.........(lets see, mumbling, slowly: g-o-l-d s-h-i-e-l-d.....)

87 spider veloce
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geh458 View Post
The number to Santo's Italian Car Service is: 1-818-701-1614 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-818-701-1614      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. They are in Northridge, California. You can also try a Private Message (PM) to "ITALCARGUY". The website is: Santo's Italian Car Service

Hope this helps, they've always done right by me.
Got it...thanks, Geh.

87 spider veloce
post #21 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey Joe,

You asked who carries a Calif.-approved cat, I got mine from Kragen Auto Parts. It's a "free-flow" model made by Magnaflow. The cat will have to have the all important "EO" number that shows it is approved by the Executive Officer of the California Air Resources Board.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"]Ron[/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR="White"]--------------------[SIZE="1"]-[/SIZE][/COLOR] [FONT="Arial"][B]O[COLOR="White"]--------------[/COLOR]O[/B][/FONT]
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"]1988 Spider Graduate[/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR="White"]----[/COLOR][B][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]====[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Verdana"]V[/FONT][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]====[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[RIGHT][SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"][B]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/RIGHT]
post #22 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Boy, I'm not sure I agree...

...It is also useful to have a local drivers license for ID purposes....

Be sure to attend some AROSC events once you arrive!
I'm pretty sure most don't agree and that I'm the minority on this issue. That's okay. Its not that I don't think that things should be done correctly and in a timely manner, but I still feel you should at least use everything up until it expires, before spending more money (registration, license, etc). Also, 10 or 20 days, I don't feel is very realistic or convenient. Especially when one is moving to an area that is unfamiliar. First find a place you want to call home, that you're happy with first, or you'll wind up spending more time, energy, and money than necessary.

Extreme example; a client of mine recently moved here from Miami. They rented a furnished house before they got here. The wife is pregnant, they thought the house would suit their needs for starting a family, and thought they liked the area (in one of the canyons). They lived in the house for one week. They hated it. The wife moved out of the house and into a hotel in Beverly Hills for about 3 weeks until they found another house that they really liked and could call home, until they find the right house to buy. Cost to them to learn this, $50,000.00 to buy out of the lease. This doesn't include the living expenses at the hotel or cost of finding and moving into a new home. Granted, most people won't even think of doing something like this.

Perfect example, me. Moved to Woodland Hills. Liked the area and house. Lived there for three months. Commute at the time averaged about 30 minutes. First day it rained, took 2 1/2 hours to get to work and 3 hours to get home (because people really don't know or forget how to drive here in any sort of inclement weather after all the nice weather). Moved to Hollywood 2 weeks after that. It was closer to everything and the drive was way shorter. Been in the same place for 10 years now.

I really feel one should move, make sure they're comfortable and happy, before registering or changing drivers licenses over.

Haven't ever really experienced a need for, or to present a local drivers license. Police around here are happy as long as you have one that is current and legal (in state, out of state, or foreign). If you need a local ID right away, get a CA ID and change the license later. That might actually help if you would like to establish a Bi-coastal residency.

Hey, nobody has even brought up The Best of France and Italy! Its coming up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
...you mean someone else can pay for my repair ifn it dont pass

...dont tell me you need to be on Govt assistance income/welfare to be able to qualify....
Yup, the state will help pay for your smog repairs if needed. No need to be on welfare. Not sure of the exact procedure. Info is on the California website. The testing facilities would probably help you out with what needs to be done too. Then after they mess up your car, you'll have to put it back to how it should be for best performance/fun.

I was actually quite serious about the flashlight and shoes by the bed. Make sure you put that in your son's head before he gets here. Also, make sure he has and keeps a supply of water that he rotates through the year.

'87 Series 3

Last edited by shadowburn; 09-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
post #23 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM

I really don't have a dog in this hunt but, if I may, I'd like to offer another suggestion. Unless you have an emotional attachment to your '87, I suggest selling it and replacing it with an earlier Spider that will be exempt from getting smog checked. Reading this makes me glad I live in Texas.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #24 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
I really don't have a dog in this hunt but, if I may, I'd like to offer another suggestion. Unless you have an emotional attachment to your '87, I suggest selling it and replacing it with an earlier Spider that will be exempt from getting smog checked. Reading this makes me glad I live in Texas.
Nah, that would not make sense. He'd have to sell the '87 and then spend more to get a '75 or earlier in the same sort of shape.

Smog check is every two years, and like I said it's not too bad to get an EFI Spider to pass.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #25 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
Jim,

The flaw in this suggestion, is that even an older car that is exempt from smog, but does not have a current registration in California is still subject to a visual inspection to register the vehicle. So all smog equipment must still be in place, it doesn't have to work, though, unless you buy a car old enough that it was not required to have smog equipment. I don't know what year Alfas first had smog equipment.

The same applies to a previously registered California car that has fallen out of the system and was not non-opped. After 7 years without paying fees or a non-opp in place, the car is dropped, from the California system and fees are written off. So even with a California plate and expired tags the car is subject to visual inspection to get re-registered. We had this problem with our Suburban, which had all smog equipment removed and was registered during the time that Suburbans were exempt because they were over the gross vehicle weight limitations. But once they took away that exemption we were in trouble and had to use some creativity.

FWIW, I could not live in Texas -- the heat would kill me.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #26 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

LOL....Texas.....gees, thats so far away from Disney!! Also, too many rattle snakes...LOL

Thanks, people, for the info. Me and my son will NOT sell that alfa for another . Tooooo much invested/too much stuff working just right after all our dedicated work. hehe, that thing was in dire need of care when we got it, and now to sell it..........One thing about these S3's, they start every time.

Great to hear any potential fixes can be fixed for free. I will look into this more on that site.

Thanks, also, Slash, for the info on the cat. Good to know that.

remember, its not until this coming January, so it will be a while....its just good to study in advance.

Thanks!
Joe

87 spider veloce
post #27 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh, by the way, the Magnaflow cat I got from Kragen had to have a section fabricated to go from the down-pipes to the muffler. It is not a bolt-on direct-fit piece.

Let us know how it turns out!

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"]Ron[/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR="White"]--------------------[SIZE="1"]-[/SIZE][/COLOR] [FONT="Arial"][B]O[COLOR="White"]--------------[/COLOR]O[/B][/FONT]
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"]1988 Spider Graduate[/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR="White"]----[/COLOR][B][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]====[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Verdana"]V[/FONT][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]====[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[RIGHT][SIZE="2"][FONT="Trebuchet"][B]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/RIGHT]
post #28 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Oh, by the way, the Magnaflow cat I got from Kragen had to have a section fabricated to go from the down-pipes to the muffler. It is not a bolt-on direct-fit piece.

Let us know how it turns out!
OK, just for my file (yes, I started a file for this project, organizing your info handily) is Kragen in LA? Cal? Where's Kragen (not another Waldo thing)........

Also, this Magnaflow, are all magnaflows the same?

87 spider veloce
post #29 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Kragen is a CA car parts chain.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #30 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Kragen is a CA car parts chain.
FWIW, Kragen also has stores in Washington state and Nevada.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode