new competition venue? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

new competition venue?

Has the comp committee ever thought about seeing if the club could get ElToro airbase for a giant high speed auto-x? I hear they can get near 100mph speeds there. PCA is big on this venue Orange Coast Region - Walter's Automotive Group Driving Events Series
It seems that the big parking lots at calspeed fontana is very expensive for the club.

If the Alfa club did some auto-x venues especially in the heat heat of the summer it is so much cooler to run with just a streetcar and helmet. I don't know anyone who likes to go to buttonwillow in august. Also auto-x may get members a taste of speed and get them to think about our road course venues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the idea. We looked into El Toro again this year but were told that speeds needed to be kept under something like 60 mph. Actually, I don't remember the exact number but that's close. If PCA are running faster, they either have a different set of "rules" to work with or they're interpreting the "speed limit" differently than we would.

Besides, Fontana was expensive for the club because not many people showed up. The last time we ran at Fontana, the attendance wasn't very good either. I believe this means they're not interested in running in parking lots.

You might want to check this out:

Tentative event at a new (I hope) track.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider

Last edited by Bruce Colby; 06-18-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Additional information
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Colby View Post

Besides, Fontana was expensive for the club because not many people showed up. The last time we ran at Fontana, the attendance wasn't very good either. I believe this means they're not interested in running in parking lots.
Agreed! I bet there are many AROSC members who have nice cars that would not even think of bringing to a dirty track like WSIR and risk not only track debris but spinning off into the rocks or getting kissed by another car. Auto-x could be a solution because damage is almost never. A funny thing I have been noting is speedventures has been gaining a steady following of auto-xers. When they go to cal speed they always run an autox too. They are starting to get just autoxers at their venue while the roadcourse guys are doing their thing as usual. The autoxers usually have nicer cars driven to the track. Perhaps the reason for our poor turnout at calspeed parking lot is because our audience is roadracers and there is just not enough thrill in autox courses. Also, auto-x club rules are more lax so guys do not need to modify their cars. I see t-shirts and helmets and 3 point belts. These sub 60mph events are not even max freeway speeds on the way to WSIR so we should be able to lower the club rules on car prep perhaps. Just like hpde is so popular and arosc has started an hpde program to bring in new TT'ers and racer's perhaps auto-x may bring in more who take the next step to a roadcourse. Anyway it is just a thought as I see clubs like TCRA (more of a race club like ours) die and speedventures grow (more of a hpde club). Interestingly speedventures has just introduced its first "race" to my knowledge. So they now have something for everyone from auto-x to hpde to hpde with a open passing group to a wheel to wheel race group and class challenges. I think the broad appeal works because there is always a place to go with speedventures and tracks love them because their volume means gate reciepts for the track and that means they get all the good dates I think. We have an awesome club but no way to feed it. Except now with the club hpde program hopefully that will change and we can get our numbers up and look better to the tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Actually, if an AROSC member brought me a good business proposal for running an autox program, I'd be more than happy to listen. It would have to contain a pretty solid description of how they expected to finance it, market it and staff it but there's no fundamental reason it couldn't be done. We even have autox covered in our Comp Code.

However, I believe it would unreasonable to expect the people who volunteer their time to put on the TT and race events to do the same for autox any more then they would for concours. For the most part, it's just not their thing. And just for the record, I have absolutely nothing against autox's. In fact, I usually run in a couple of them a year with the SD BMWCCA. I'd probably run more if they didn't conflict with AROSC activities so often.

gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Colby View Post
Actually, if an AROSC member brought me a good business proposal for running an autox program, I'd be more than happy to listen....snip...
However, I believe it would unreasonable to expect the people who volunteer...snip....
It is easy for me to talk about an idea. Volunteer time and money you would need a more knowledgeable person than I to even begin to figure out the financing or logistics. I don't even know how to set-up cones so you don't wipe out the timing tower. But if you guys are short on grunt labor I'll be glad to chip in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
... But if you guys are short on grunt labor I'll be glad to chip in.
Thanks for the offer. When something comes up, we'll give a shout!

gone to new homes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode