which class to take - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

which class to take

I'm trying to fill out the entry form for the willow springs school, but I can't decide which class I should take. I took the street performance class in Feb, and drove the time trials at buttonwillow. One of the instructors at buttonwillow thought that since we'd made it through our first time-trial without dieing or catching fire that we should skip the novice time trial class and go for the advanced class. But what if they teach something really important in the novice class and I never learn it?

Those of you who have seen me on the track might suggest that the novice class is the way to go. Those of you who have seen me trying to get around turn 2 at buttonwillow might suggest I take the street performance class again, but I won't! I want to get my moneys worth from all that safety equipment!

Any thoughts? (other than hanging up the helmet, 'cause that's not gonna happen)

Graham

Graham
'86 GTV-6 daily driver
81 GTV-6 racecar project
'67 Spitfire racecar (GP)

"if your car handles like it's on rails, you're probably not driving fast enough" ~ Ross Bentley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:38 PM

Graham,

I'm in the same boat, and this is my interpretation only, but it's my understanding is that until we earn our TT or Race Licenses with AROSC, we're considered novices and should probably enter the novice class.

But, I could be wrong.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM

Gif and Graham,
Take Advanced TT. You both have track experience and full safety equipment.
We try to cover the same basic stuff in al TT classes. Just a little more in detail as the student's experience increases.
The Advanced class will also have fewer students (usually) so you would get a little more skid pad time.
And skid pad is where I have really learned more about car control than on the race track.
See you both at the Streets.

And if you both are real nice to me, I will explain the benefits of having only 3 wheels on a car to reduce rolling resistance . . . . . . .

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul, that sounds like good advice. I'm looking forward to it!

And if you promise to tell me about how having less wheels reduces rolling resistance, I'll tell you how uncoupling the driveshaft dramatically reduces drivetrain friction.

Gifford.....sounds like you're going to school too. That's awesome, I'll see you there.

Graham
'86 GTV-6 daily driver
81 GTV-6 racecar project
'67 Spitfire racecar (GP)

"if your car handles like it's on rails, you're probably not driving fast enough" ~ Ross Bentley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode