AMB transponder - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

AMB transponder

During the last race/TT at buttonwillow, the club had AMB transponders for use among drivers. I guess the cost of renting it was included in the race fee. I was also told that the whole set (transponders for rent, base unit, software, etc) was rented from another organization (SCCA?)

My question is: Will the organizers advise future participants to buy their own transponder, or will the club continue to rent the equipment and sub-rent it out?

At $325, they are not cheap to buy, and if we are being charged an automatic fee for their rental when signing up for a race group, it would not be smart to buy one, if only used with AROSC events.

Jeez!, just when I was starting to enjoy my laptimer...

Jorge Mazlumian
73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 AM

Jorge,

On several occasions AROSC has indicated that in the long run we plan to go to an AMB type transponder timing system. Our existing electronic timing system is rather old and occasionally it fails us. When it does we have to use manual timnig which we always run in parallel with electronic timing, just in case. We have asked for a show of hands at several drivers meetings to determine how many people already have transponders and about 25 to 30% do. These are mostly either racers or people who run TTs with organizations. For example if you run with VARA or SCCA, you will be required to have a transponder. Our plan would be to have some transponders available to rent from the club for a nominal fee but we would encourage people to buy their own.

Our Comp Code specifies that we have a backup timing system in operation at all events, so I suppose it might be possible to for someone who couldn't afford to buy/rent a transponder to get a lap time without one. However, I doubt we would use such a time as an official event lap time unless there was some sort of problem with the primary timing system.

For the present none of this matters much because we don't have enough money to buy the AMB system. We might be getting close to affording the timing unit but we're no where near close to being able to afford the rental transponders kit and charging unit. In other words, you'll get to enjoy your laptimer for a while longer.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Bruce
I'm afraid I'm not clear on this. You did have a transponder system during the last event (races only), at Buttonwillow.

Is the plan of the Club to continue to rent the system and use it at every event?

I realize that TT's is a different story since there's a lot more cars.

Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Jorge,

From my understanding of what I heard at the last Buttonwillow event, the system the was used for the race group was owned by the track, or another group, and was made availible to us. Whether its use was donated, or the club paid a fee, I don't now.

At VARA events, if you don't own your own, you must rent one if you want to be scored. I think they let you run without one, but what's the point if you're chasing a division title or something?

Just my $.02 worth............

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Jorge,

At Buttonwillow we rented an AMB system from the track in order to run the enduro. We've done that for the past 3 years now. We do it because keeping score for a 2.5 hour race is just a lot more work than scoring the 12 to 15 laps of our normal sprint races. This year, however, becuase most of the enduro cars already had transponders, we found we had enough left over to allow us to use the system for the sprint races as well. So we did.

It would be too expensive for us to rent an AMB system for each event plus not all tracks have them to rent. So, unless someone donates a bunch of money, you won't see us use transponders again until next year at the enduro, assuming we run one next year.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification.
J.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode