Time trial format: 2-3 hot laps instead of 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Time trial format: 2-3 hot laps instead of 5

To the directors of competition, time trial, and race:

It seems that a lot of time is used up by the actual time trials on the last day of an event. I would propose that only 2 or 3 hot laps are allowed instead of 5. This would:
1) shorten the TT's, to benefit the others waiting in the heat or in winter, trying to beat the sunset, and
2) diminish the possibility of faster cars catching up to the ones in front during the trials.
I believe this would still keep competitiveness very much alive, since it's actually harder to do your best in 3 laps. (I know that because my best times are usually in the 4th or 5th laps). And it doesn't mean you have less track time, since most of that is done during the practice sessions. Actually it might in some occasions allow an extra practice session.

Think of F1 with only one qualifying lap before the race. Oops!, wrong subject.

Jorge Mazlumian
73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM

Jorge,

I didn't like the waiting either, but that's part of the game and you get a chance to watch some of the others ahead of you, and cutting the number of timed laps is not the answer. You said it yourself, that you did your best lap times on laps 4 and 5. If they cut it back to 3 laps, you might never know how quick you could be, because next time you might be slower, or the track configuration might be different. When I was on the track for my timed laps, I never saw anyone in my mirrors, I could only see the cars that were several seconds in front of me, which is the idea when taking your timed laps, no distractions.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Jorge,

I'll add the idea to my list of things to bring up at the Annual Competition Board Meeting (December). If a lot of our competitors think it's a good idea, we'll listen. However, I suspect it's likely to fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. Still, one never knows so comments are welcome.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Norman Silverma
Maybe if everyone didn't have to wait for me?????

Norm Silverman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:12 PM

While we are on the subject of wish lists I vote for:

1) another event at Laguna Seca

2) the 2 schools/year to be at two different tracks just for the added variety that can be learned from a different venue like the streets for one and cal speedway infield for another as an example.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to argtv7
I agree

I don't think it's broke. I think if we did 3 laps, we would have people pushing harder (most time trailers are novices) and we'd lose track time becuase the tow truck was rolling (by far our biggest time loss). But we'll listen.....

As for Laguna, we tried. Even knee-pads and chap stick didn't work! Your Competition Board is working for you!

Volunteers needed.

Bradley Gray
1974 Spider
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Gifford
the idea *is* to make it a little harder. So if you can't go fast after 3 laps, then somebody else will. And Gifford, may be you are too fast for the guy behind you , but we all have seen cars "lapping" another. There's just less of a chance in only 3 laps.
But Brad has a point. I don't want it to become more dangerous because people will try too hard(God knows I do try too hard). We have all weekend to practice. The third lap should be good enough. I personally work up a rythm and by the 4th lap I'm going, but because I know I still have another lap left.
No, it aint broken, and this is certainly not a complaint, just a thought/suggestion. I was brainstorming between races at Indy last weekend, so I thought...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:56 AM

I would like to see a review of "caught car" procedure... At BW last month I was able to easily catch the WXS Turbo Whatever in front of me, but not able to go around in the legal passing zone, giving me only one clear lap. If the guy ahead had backed off when caught he would have never seen me again... this is probably solvable by a vigerious explanation of the concept in a driver's meeting.

[FONT=Arial Black]OldMaster[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Clemente[/FONT]
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclem
I would like to see a review of "caught car" procedure... At BW last month I was able to easily catch the WXS Turbo Whatever in front of me, but not able to go around in the legal passing zone, giving me only one clear lap. If the guy ahead had backed off when caught he would have never seen me again... this is probably solvable by a vigerious explanation of the concept in a driver's meeting.
As I said, 3 hot laps and less cars would take care of that as well. Of course more "education" during driver's meeting would help, but I don't think you can penalize that at all. It's the end of the day after all.

I should enfasize (sp?) that the organizers do an outstanding job at positioning the cars according to their known lap times, but this invariably happens anyway.

Jorge
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I had the same problem too. I was keeping my distance from the car infront of me, but the guy behind me was "all out" on the warm up lap. He passed me on lap 1 and held me up the whole time.

This doesn't happen very often, I think it's mainly because of the amount of cars that turned out for this event and the fact that Buttonwillow is a tight track. At Willow, less cars usually show up which means more clear timed laps and more space to spread out.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:33 PM

New School Venu ?

If we could find another location with: skid pad, inside classroom, running water, as well as the short track.

I've looked around Buttonwillow, back by the go-cart track but can't find enough space for a skidpad.

Agree that the Streets gets a little stale after about 8 years for me.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Instead of another track for the school, how about running counter clockwise on the Street's. I saw the Porsche Club this last weekend when I was out to the VARA race, and they were going counter clockwise.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Think they did that at the final "race" at the last school.

Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Well, for SoCal, all we have are Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and Fontana, right? The farthest north you'd go is Laguna Seca.

But, if you took the same 8-10 hours to trailer your car to Laguna, you could also be in Willits -- Thunderhill. The local PCA Chapter, and Lotus Club runs a lot of events up there. It feels like going to Willow Springs back in the early 90's. Not a whole lot of stuff around and the track facilities are not quite as plush as, say, Buttonwillow.

However, the track IS nice. Challenging, fast, some off-camber turns and some "I'm going to crap my pants but I can't lift" sweepers. It's just too dang far
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geh458
Instead of another track for the school, how about running counter clockwise on the Street's..

Gif, sorry you had to leave early from the last School. Running backwards is reserved for Sunday's "graduation ceremony". Stole that from McKeever's Fast Lane School. A good way to test what you have learned all weekend. 1 warm up lap and then 15 minutes of letting you learn a whole new race track.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode