Any owners in Imperial County? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Any owners in Imperial County?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on this board lives in Imperial County (or East San Diego County). I have some questions about smog requirements.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Garage
Since you're in California I wouldn't think that smog requirements would vary from county to county. Am I missing something? BTW, what's the question?

Steven Leth
'66 Giulia Super / '86 Spider Graduate
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I was told that most counties in SoCal have the enhanced smog test while some counties (Imperial) have the basic test (no dyno). If so, is the basic test easier to pass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Garage
Now I'm sorry I asked the question. My experience with smog tests is in L.A. and Orange counties and I couldn't tell you the difference between a basic and enhanced smog test. Logically, a basic test might have a smaller checklist of items to review than the enhanced test. But your best bet is to call around.

I do know there are "testing only" stations, these differ from those that do the tests and are qualified to repair the car to bring it into smog tolerance.

Good luck!

Steven Leth
'66 Giulia Super / '86 Spider Graduate
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM

smog

California has two smog categories, as previously mentioned -- the
regular smog test, or "test only". Test only is for people who have failed a smog test, OR, "high emitter profile vehicles" that they think will fail, OR, supposedly a random population sample. I have a problem with this (see below). "test only" places can NOT work on your car.

Make sure the car is very warmed up before testing. And remember to put
the catalytic converter back on :O if you took it off (incidently, that did happen to me once... I'm blonde... the car smogged OK but did not pass the visual... had to go home and put the #^&*^[email protected]# thing on)...

I have had to go to a "test only" center for the past 3 smogs for the same car, which has always passed smog ('85 Graduate). It really gripes me to be put into this category year after year. Always wonder if other Alfa owners get the "test only" runaround, or if I'm just <cough> lucky...

However, the 1995 164 usually is not "test only" -- so I can tell you the differences in the tests.

The cars are tested with the tailpipe probe at idle and 2500rpm. The
"test only" requires the dyno (and I see on the http://www.smogtips.com/emission_inspection.cfm website that
some areas may require the dyno test for regular smog!)...

Shop around for prices -- the price is not regulated by the state and varies a LOT -- a regular smog here in San Diego can run as low as $12 (plus $11.25
certificate/filing fee) -- the cheapest "test only" place here that I have
found is $22 (plus the $11.25 cert/filing fee).... have had friends that have paid $50 for a regular smog test not knowing the price is not regulated....
Good luck!

- Judy

Judy Illeman Gaukel
1965 Giulia Sprint GT, 1985 Graduate, 1995 164Q (caretaker)

Last edited by Judy; 06-08-2005 at 08:57 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 PM

For the longest time my GTV6 and Milano have been "randomly" selected for Test Only Center every single time... Like Judy's, neither has never failed. So, it has been so long since I have been to a regular smog, but I think both require dyno, here. My understanding is that in practice Alfas beyond a certain age are selected every time. So, it is probably just a matter of time before the 95 164 needs to go to Test Only too...

Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy
California has two smog categories, as previously mentioned -- the
regular smog test, or "test only". Test only is for people who have failed a smog test, OR, "high emitter profile vehicles" that they think will fail, OR, supposedly a random population sample. I have a problem with this (see below). "test only" places can NOT work on your car.

I have had to go to a "test only" center for the past 3 smogs for the same car, which has always passed smog ('85 Graduate). It really gripes me to be put into this category year after year. Always wonder if other Alfa owners get the "test only" runaround, or if I'm just <cough> lucky...
My '79 Spider, which passed with flying colours a couple of years ago just before I bought it, has also been selected for Test Only for my reg renewal this year. It said something about gross polluter status, which it obviously was NOT at the last inspection, so I assume they just think anything over 10 years old is probably going to fail.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:50 PM

And...it did! ARGH!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Oh no!

Didn't pass Test Only! But - at least you weren't subjected to smog guys who haven't ever seen an Alfa trying to "tinker" with it.

I drove to the test only center in my graduate, and the guy looked at it with that "oh, I can't do this car" look (very, very small place). "How many cylinders?" he asked. "4". I could tell he wasn't very excited. But I helped show him where everything was, and it passed OK (3rd go-around test only).
Not even close to halfway on the scale. It's not SPICA, though........

Good luck with it! Wish I had more constructive words...
- Judy

Judy Illeman Gaukel
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks Judy. I'm sure it's fixable. They didn't seem to have any trouble finding anything on mine (well, at least they didn't come and ask me where anything was), though I did notice they propped up the hood with an enormous screwdriver rather than using the usual bar! Only trouble is, my usual mechanic seems to be away, and the reg needs to be renewed by July 8th or the price starts going up.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:31 PM

So save late penalties pay the $$ without the smog stuff.
You won't have a new registration but you won't get in as much $$ trouble.

However, don't keep driving the car for about 11 months after expiration and then have your wife get pulled over with the expired tags. Fortunately it was my wife and her girlfriend and the CHP was of the feminine gender. They all blamed it on the rat bast--- husband and she only got a fix-it ticket.
The ticket was only $10 but the marriage penalty was far greater.
. . . .

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:13 PM

Go Mary, Go!

PAUL!!!!!!

Somehow, the entire scenario is just _too_ easy to picture!

We'd have to start another topic thread to continue this thought.....

Judy Illeman Gaukel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode