Alfa Owner Thoughts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Pat Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,631
Alfa Owner Thoughts

My parting gift to anyone, Enrique?, that wants to discuss Alfa Owner....

I've posted a quote that was received this week from a member, “The Way the Alfa Owner Should Be” “...This is terrific and tells a story we can all appreciate and relate to.”

A couple of disclaimers:

1) to let others provide their feedback/input etc. freely and without influence, I've sent my own opinions, criticisms, likes and dislikes as compared to our current product to board members off-board.

2) this item was produced by one of the competing bidders for the Owner when the current holder of the contract was awarded it. Just so there is no misinterpretation of favoritism here, Pat and I were bidding against the producer of this product, we knew it, he did not; and there was a friendship that is still in tact.

3) there are no technical articles due to the coverage of an event; when Pat did convention coverage many times the entire Owner was dedicated to that just as this book is.

The item that pertains to the quote may be viewed at:

http://www.motorcityalfa2007.org/ima...007%20book.pdf

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 01-23-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Pat Braden is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered User
 
lowmileage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: home feeding the squirrels
Posts: 7,166
Why isn't the Watkins Glen SVRA/Vintage Festival event covered in Alfa Owner? After the Marque event 3 years ago, you can count the Alfa spectator attendees on one hand which I think is pretty pathetic.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
lowmileage is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered User
 
Nicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post
Why isn't the Watkins Glen SVRA/Vintage Festival event covered in Alfa Owner? After the Marque event 3 years ago, you can count the Alfa spectator attendees on one hand which I think is pretty pathetic.
My guess is that you, or someone else who is aware of the event in advance, is not sending in the announcement to get it posted on the calendar. (Maybe you could offer to buy a round at the Seneca to all who attend in their Alfas.)
Then write a followup article and send some of your great pictures to encourage support for the event in the future.
As has been pointed out - 'The Owner' is primarily authored by its readership. (which is part of the 'issue' - some don't know and some don't care.)

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Nicola is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator
 
ossodiseppia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Broomfield, Colorado U.S.A
Posts: 10,787
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
My parting gift to anyone, Enrique?, that wants to discuss Alfa Owner....
Are you going somewhere?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ossodiseppia is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Registered User
 
Zunige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nutley/NJ & Middletown/OH, USA
Posts: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
My parting gift to anyone, Enrique?, that wants to discuss Alfa Owner....
Thanks for your effort, Cheryl. I've never had any problems speaking with any member, or club director, or the head office, and any suggestion that I may have had has always been passed to the intended party, without issue. Thus, I will continue to use the club's existing and long-established avenues to do so. I have had excellent discussions through those means of communication, and the Board members are really fun to interact with...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
Zunige is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Pat Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,631
Alfa Owner Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
My guess is that you, or someone else who is aware of the event in advance, is not sending in the announcement to get it posted on the calendar. (Maybe you could offer to buy a round at the Seneca to all who attend in their Alfas.)
Then write a followup article and send some of your great pictures to encourage support for the event in the future.
As has been pointed out - 'The Owner' is primarily authored by its readership. (which is part of the 'issue' - some don't know and some don't care.)
That is where an informed publisher and board of directors is important and bridges the gap. They should not have to rely solely on the readership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
Thanks for your effort, Cheryl. I've never had any problems speaking with any member, or club director, or the head office, and any suggestion that I may have had has always been passed to the intended party, without issue. Thus, I will continue to use the club's existing and long-established avenues to do so. I have had excellent discussions through those means of communication, and the Board members are really fun to interact with...

Best regards,
For you and I it works that way....for others it does not, which was more than adequately pointed out. Status quo is the only thing that is garnered the way it is done now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia
Are you going somewhere?
How's crazy? I thought I'd try a change of scenery --- maybe a stay at the local insane asylum would accomplish that?

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 01-23-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Pat Braden is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered User
 
Zunige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nutley/NJ & Middletown/OH, USA
Posts: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
For you and I it works that way....for others it does not, which was more than adequately pointed out. Status quo is the only thing that is garnered the way it is done now.
Since you mentioned me by name, I just wanted to state that I would continue to use the traditional avenues. Just my choice, which in no way affects the choice of "others"...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
Zunige is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator
 
papajam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 16,232
My thought about the Owner is that it never seems to list any 10544s for sale!

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
papajam is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Registered User
 
Alex Csank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vankleek Hill, Ontario (Canada)
Posts: 5,799
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
The Owner definitely needs more articles written by me...uhhhh, maybe I should get off my keester and write them!

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
Alex Csank is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Nicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
The Owner definitely needs more articles written by me...uhhhh, maybe I should get off my keester and write them!
Hear, hear...
Here, here...
Here, hear...

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Nicola is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered User
 
Nicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
How's crazy? I thought I'd try a change of scenery --- maybe a stay at the local insane asylum would accomplish that?
btdt - it's over-rated

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Nicola is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered User
 
Zunige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nutley/NJ & Middletown/OH, USA
Posts: 6,087
I just got the January issue of the Alfa Owner. Literally, the mailman just handed it over to me. So, precisely because of this thread, I took a close look at it, and I have to say: it's a joy to see! It's definitely a nice issue, and I have noticed that the Owner is now consistently better than it was. Yes, there is definitely room for improvement, but it's a pleasure to see that the content is so much better. This certainly gives me an incentive to send in suggestions and perhaps help in making it even better. A *big* thanks to Brewster, and all who work so hard on our magazine!

Best regards,
Enrique

P.S. lgbalafa, your car looks great!

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
Zunige is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
lgbalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 6,677
Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
I just got the January issue of the Alfa Owner. Literally, the mailman just handed it over to me. So, precisely because of this thread, I took a close look at it, and I have to say: it's a joy to see! It's definitely a nice issue, and I have noticed that the Owner is now consistently better than it was. Yes, there is definitely room for improvement, but it's a pleasure to see that the content is so much better. This certainly gives me an incentive to send in suggestions and perhaps help in making it even better. A *big* thanks to Brewster, and all who work so hard on our magazine!

Best regards,
Enrique

P.S. lgbalafa, your car looks great!
thanks!

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
lgbalfa is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered User
 
Joe Faherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fox Island,WA
Posts: 93
Speaking of articles for the Owner, there was a beautiful spider at Detroit that had a really cool custom trailer to carry race tires, jackand tools for the time trial. I thought that the trailer deserved an article for the Owner. Now who has that beautiful black spider? Ciao, Joe Faherty
Joe Faherty is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Pat Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,631
Alfa Owner Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Faherty View Post
Speaking of articles for the Owner, there was a beautiful spider at Detroit that had a really cool custom trailer to carry race tires, jackand tools for the time trial. I thought that the trailer deserved an article for the Owner. Now who has that beautiful black spider? Ciao, Joe Faherty
Enrique,

Are your ears ringing?

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
Pat Braden is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome