LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiat View Post
Ok, got it. I guess if you don't have the time to do a proper scenic then perhaps flying in will do... and rent a fun car for while you are there.
It warrants review for those far-away places you just want to get to and not slowly sightsee along the way. I'd run the economics. Rented a Giulietta once for a week and it was like $600 or so. THAT can add up quickly for a longer stay when you own a car there. But then so can gas, tolls and hotels.

Indeed, usually on one night stays we only offload a day's needs into the backpack from the 26" rolling duffel and it's usually in a hotel so no need for provisions. As far as travel modes, as I said in the long blurb linked, we've done it all and "get it" - each has its purpose. On average, mid-distances and mid-length stays is our sweet spot for a stay. But interspersed with a few longer legs and longer stays, and some day-hopping. You indeed Fred are Jedi master at planning and executing these trips, navigation and documentation. Props.

I was going to do a rant on stairs but folks just have to experience it. AirBNB vaguely says, "stairs, not suitable for impaired". Well we're not too impaired . . . . yet. But. In Salema, from a parking area we had 65 stairs up (and down) several times a day, with backpacks, luggage and provision bags at the ends. Sometimes when hot, sometimes when slippery in rain. No handrails. Quirky lighting. Tried not to do it in the dark. In Porto it was 112 uneven stone winding stairs up and down from parking. And over 200 down to the waterfront area. Our place in Orta in 2017 was like this. We've been in high-up lofts with steep narrow winding shallow stairs (Le Touquet) and no bathroom, and had to navigate in dim light at night for a pee run. Ended up with a small pitcher up there in the loft. Like camping in freezing weather.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
Building codes thrown out when it comes to stairs in the EU it seems. Some of the old French (and Dutch) places we've stayed it was not so much as the amount of steps but the lack of actual landing where your foot can be placed. Caring bags up and stepping on a 4 inch bit of step 16 inch riser is common. In the semi-darkness is even more fun.
Anfanuts likes this.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ok VVV's, I went back and resized 21 vertical pics that were posting 90deg off. All fixed. Still dowloading Kristy's pics from backup to consolidate. May post some more when I finish that. Seems like I beat a dead horse on post mortem: plan well, have navigation, watch the trucks, don't count on ice, and beware the stairs. That's about it. Nahhhh.

And oh, bathrooms are OSHA safety hazards. Most speak to me and say, "I'm going to cripple or kill you", like a 327 Cobra. Slippery elevated narrow tubs, those tubs with a shower head wand but no curtain (WTH???) and water all over, shower stalls so small if you fall you would be a crumpled mess in the bottom and have to slither out broken, raised showers 12" off the deck and no ladder onto slippery floors. This must be some kind of population control for the elderly . . . I did some safety work for awhie (managed actually) and these are usually places we'd rope off with yellow tape until they were fixed. So anally safety conscious in some things and completely clueless in others.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-20-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1133 View Post
I do not have enough experience of Portugal to know why this is, but my observations are as follows. There is huge respect for the past and a need to preserve in Portugal.
I recalled this convo when just watching some Portugal YouTube videos to help put the trip into context and explain what we saw and felt, a Rick Steves associate travel guide, Rich Earl, says an important concept in Portugal is "saudade" which he says does not really translate into English well, but it is a "longing for something in the past, something that is gone", and some say, "it permeates much of their being and they have this almost sadness about the past (glory lost)". It is the basis for the soulful, sad and longing "fado" music. Google says, "nostalgia, yearning, longing, missing". Now, I saw a lot of happy friendly people seeming to live well in the moment. Not judgemental and highbrow. But perhaps it is there deep down, perhaps especially in the older generations.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
These people run a series of vids on the Pros and Cons of living in Portugal. Most apply to visitors as well. YouTube will autoplay one after the other if you want to binge. There are several other authors in this genre as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/8milesfromhome
post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
Thanks for sharing you trip, Bruce.
Your descriptions of all the stuff in Portugal and about the Portuguese are really faithful.

Portugal is a great country to own and drive a classic, especially due to the weather and the scenic roads all over the country.

There is a monthly informal get together of classic enthusiasts in Sintra (Sintra Clįssicos) that can get really crazy, sometimes with more than 200 cars and crowds of visitors.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Anfanuts likes this.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 (116) - 1983
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Like Arnold said, "I'll be back." Lovely place, lovely people. Great food and wine - fresh fish and fresh veggies galore. Need to do more of those small roads. And meet some Alfa "homies". Wife is already planning next trip but I like Tuscany also. See the other trip blogs linked in the signature block at the bottom. Cheers.
Edgar Guerra likes this.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode