Euro Roadtrip, Again? - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Orta San Giulio! We know that spot for sure. The square and docks as they are. Did not get out and explore the environs quite enough, the heat and lack of sleep did us in. We may be visiting UK next summer. Daughter got a several year assignment at an AFB near Hundingdon/Cambridgeshire. One of her daughters graduates HS in June. Then she and her sister want us to take them to France since we know it so well. Four in a Giulia?? Dunno. How is driving the tube? Calais? The "hitchikers" coming back? TG was great, all he traditional fixins and a 15 pound bird. Carcass boiling today for turkey soup. My daughter in the US is doing one to bring to her daughter and her room-mates at college in Leeds-Beckett. How do you know about this American concoction Thanksgiving. It starts the "fat season" here running though Jan 1st. Thanks for checking in. thhis thread has over 8000 hits so far, maybe half yours! Lots of lurkers. In retrospect the trip was great, lots of exploring. But the travel model was a bit too rigorous compared to earlier trips with less moving and longer stays but many day trips. A clear highlight for me was Sienna and southern Tuscany. See ya around. B
Re France, why not send the two extra passengers by Eurostar to France and back and use the Alfa locally for local swanning around? The Eurotunnel is a great way of crossing to Europe and almost completely stress-free.

We know that TG is a big deal, although only observed by ex-pat Americans here. My wife works for an American corporation and has been unable to speak to half the office most of the week. I'm talking to a parts supplier in Michigan about some missing bits he's supposed to have sent me and he can't track anything down until Monday because he is bereft of staff!

Sadly, however, Black Friday has emigrated to Britain. Ugly.

Best

Peter

Peter
1991 Spider S4 & 2004 156 GTA Selespeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
I agree about the Chunnel. We've taken it a few times and it was no problem. We even stayed overnight in Calais. There were hundreds of barricades and miles of fences that forced us through checkpoints due to the GPS not knowing the new routes. But the chunnel is fantastic - just try to plan your trip during a slow time.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #273 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 PM

External combustion last time I was in Calais...

Larger than a 105. Some American made iron.
Attached Images

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiat View Post
I agree about the Chunnel. We've taken it a few times and it was no problem. We even stayed overnight in Calais. There were hundreds of barricades and miles of fences that forced us through checkpoints due to the GPS not knowing the new routes. But the chunnel is fantastic - just try to plan your trip during a slow time.
Alfiat,

Bang on! And no seasickness...

Peter
Anfanuts likes this.

Peter
post #275 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
Ha... yes true! Also my dog is able to travel with us in the car.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #276 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kember View Post
Re France, why not send the two extra passengers by Eurostar to France and back and use the Alfa locally for local swanning around? The Eurotunnel is a great way of crossing to Europe and almost completely stress-free.

Best

Peter
Peter, We can use daughter's US UK-registered SUV for local use in UK. Then three options emerged considering 4 adult passengers: 1. all 4 fly in from UK/Stanstead to SoNL/Eindoven, and use yellow 73 Giulia for 2-3 week trip and fly back to Stanstead, depart from UK, 2. use daughter's US UK-regisered SUV and drive chunnel and back, 3. Rent a Stelvio or Giulia. The concern is 3x55-60 kg and 1x95 kg persons plus minimal luggage only in a Giulia for 2-3 weeks. Fred knows the drill here having done two US driving trips with 4x people.
post #277 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Peter, We can use daughter's US UK-registered SUV for local use in UK. Then three options emerged considering 4 adult passengers: 1. all 4 fly in from UK/Stanstead to SoNL/Eindoven, and use yellow 73 Giulia for 2-3 week trip and fly back to Stanstead, depart from UK, 2. use daughter's US UK-regisered SUV and drive chunnel and back, 3. Rent a Stelvio or Giulia. The concern is 3x55-60 kg and 1x95 kg persons plus minimal luggage only in a Giulia for 2-3 weeks. Fred knows the drill here having done two US driving trips with 4x people.
Bruce,

Yes, I understand.

While you are in planning mode, you are probably aware that you can easily also do the Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry from your daughter's base (using the A14 highway down to Ipswich - probably 45 miles away), if you are planning on visiting Holland and save several hundred miles of detour through France and Belgium.

I know it's probably heresy to a 105 devotee, but I'm tempted to loan you my 156 GTA - 3.2 litres of V6 Busso goodness, a Selespeed gearbox and functioning aircon all included. All you need is your own oil well! That would make for a civilised summer road trip but while it would meet the passenger requirements in that it would seat 4 adults comfortably, I don't think the trunk would be up to the luggage required. The other problem is that the steering wheel is on the proper side.

I hate to think what you would spend hiring a Stelvio or a decent spec Giulia for three weeks, especially with a full excess protection.

If your daughter's SUV is a left-hooker (and, after your experience last summer, the aircon works!), wouldn't that be ideal for four plus baggage on a European road trip? In your shoes, I'd probably just wince and spend the money saved on rental on fuel and an AA European Recovery plan. I know it's not an old Alfa but nor is the Stelvio.

FWIW, I have regularly driven a petrol Range Rover (4.4l V8) from the UK to Italy and back and it would return 15 MPG on cruise control at 130 kph on French autoroutes - the single figure MPG figure only kicks in above 100mph, where its lack of aerodynamic prowess really shows, but you can only do that in Germany (and I only do it there because I can, not because it's fun - my version of exercising my Second Amendment rights).

A thought to avoid an Alfa drought: depending on where in France you are planning on going, you might be able to break away for a day and https://www.hameaudesbaux.co/convertible/ or Alfa Romeo Spider Giulia - Rent A Classic Car - The classic cars rental on the French Riviera or Riviera Classic Cars- Classic Cars for Hire on the French Riviera

Best wishes

Peter
Anfanuts likes this.

Peter
post #278 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So we are planning for a 2018 UK-Euro trip now and looked back to the 2017 schedule. An interesting stat just leaped out: we had planned on the Google+ MyMaps pre-planned route (A to B to C, etc) about 4890 km. We stuck to this route pretty much and alternates were about the same, and on one taken just avoided a pass out of the Rhone valley. But our actual mileage was 6940km, a whopping 2050 km more (or 42%) for "day trips" from a base location. And we did not drive on many of the longer stays (took the train on the Cinque Terre visits or just stayed put). I honestly don't know how we put this many extra miles on . . . .
post #279 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
He's gonna be baaaaaccckkk! Dijonaise is in the thick in planning for another Euro driving trip. Six weeks in early-April to mid-May. Target is mainly Portugal with a week south, mid and north each, but some visits on the way down and back up to break up the drive. Should I start another thread or tag on here??

PS: we did do a Euro driving trip last year, bur alas, not in an Alfa. Borrowed the daughter's Ford Escape crossover in Cambridge and after a visit there, took the 18 & 20 y/o G-daughters to France for 3 weeks. Wormed down the Normandy & Brittany coasts eating seafood and tarte tatin and quatre quaqres, across to the Touraine for some castling and quickly back up to the seacoast near the Belge border for some beach R&R and visits with friends. A very memorable trip.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anfanuts; 01-17-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add ps
post #280 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Sure
post #281 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
Bruce: we should trade planning notes. Elizabeth and I will be in Spain and Portugal between late-March and mid-May. Portugal for the last couple of weeks. Perhaps our paths will cross?

Dean
1974 2000 GTV / 1976 Giulia Nuova Super 2.0 / 1965 TR4
post #282 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Overwheling enthusiasm . . . . So that's a no eh? https://goo.gl/maps/85DHWLjuqnp

Last edited by Anfanuts; 01-21-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #283 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Overwheling enthusiasm . . . . So that's a no eh? https://goo.gl/maps/85DHWLjuqnp
New thread needed. I'm all in favor of the trip; wish it was us. JW
Anfanuts likes this.

Jonathan-
post #284 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I figured folks were worn out from my complaining about hot weather and no ice.
post #285 of 287 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I figured folks were worn out from my complaining about hot weather and no ice.
Everyone complains about hot weather. "No ice" is a distinctly American complaint, however. I've had friends from Texas complain about the lack of ice in their huge soda cup in Maine, in October!

Jonathan-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode