NE Mechanics listings - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
das

NE Mechanics listings

All,

I've found this very helpful w/other cars I've had to list mechanics in the area and feedback on them. Please add yours...

my 2 cents:

- I've had my 89 spider graduate for all of 3 months now, and the only place I've had it serviced was Accel Automotive in Waltham. Kinda pricey (but what alfa mechanic isn't). Very knowledgeable, very nice, mechanic sat down with me and went over issues needing fixing and actually showed me the problems under the car or under the hood (great education too!) Need some other work done prior to winter storage and will take it back to them in Oct.

others??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 AM

I showed my new-to-me alfa to my mechanic, a family friend. He was scared to death of it, had no idea what was going on, and frankly hated it ( ) . From then on I do ALL of my work on my Alfa myself. Saving myself money plus learning about my alfa hands on.

If anyone knows any good alfa mechanics in the NE that would be good to know, in case i get a booboo to big for me to fix
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
das

81gtv6,

I see you're in new hampshire. I know there is Veloce Imports in Londonderry NH. I haven't been to them for service, but have spoken to them on the phone. They do seem very knowledgable on Alfas....maybe others have been there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM

I have used Accel for years now, for both my '74 GTV and my former 164 (which I bought through them). They are great, always helpful, and always busy (which is a good sign). Leroy, Brian, and John know these cars inside out. Haven't been down there much since I sold the 164 in the spring, so they probably miss my cars (and wallet). Accel focuses more on the newer/daily driver Alfas, though their garage bay up front is meant for longer-term restoration type projects (and is always fun to peek your head into).
The other MA shop I have used in Glynn Motorsports in Rowley. They specialize in the older Alfas and race prep. I had them do a gearbox rebuild/lightening and clutch replacement in the GTV last winter, and the work was excellent. They are very expensive, too, but you get what you pay for (which on an Alfa means you tend to pay a lot). The reason I chose Glynn over Accel for that work was that their shop is larger and they were willing to keep the car all winter long and save me a storage fee (though that's not usual for them, and the size my my bill helped justify it).
I can heartily recommend either of these shops. Both of these shops are an hour from my house and I happily take the time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:00 AM

Most definately Glynn Motorsports in Rowley Mass.. Paul, Micheal and the boys are great- extremely knowledgable Alfa guys and full machine shop. Great shop for people looking to do race set-up.

In Somerville Mass there is International Auto Repair, Luciano is cool.

In Yarmouth Maine there is Randy at Milestones, good mechanic, longtime Alfa guy.

I know of a couple more, when my brain kicks in I'll post the names

Glennco
Heavy Metal Alfa
12 GTV-6s
2 Alfettas
2 Milanos
1 Spider [so far]

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Veloce Imports in NH

Jo Mount and Eric Krueger at Veloce Imports in Londonderry NH did the engine rebuild this year on my '74 Spider, along with some other things. I'm extremely satisfied with the quality and professionalism.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Alfa-Less
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
In Connecticut, Alfas Unlimited in Norfolk (known Keith & Susan for many years). Easily the best in the area without exception.

There is also Continential Garage in the New Haven area but I do not know anything about them.

Vermont ... well, carry a toolkit and call me. We have a local AR guy who fixes Alfas, Fiats, Bimmers, etc. but I have my concerns. There are a couple exotic restorers in the state (hard to get them to work on my car as they focus on Ferraris, etc).

-R

Rob Favali
2013 Fiat 500C
2007 Saab 93 SportCombi
**1993 Spider Veloce (Sold 2015)**
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favali
There is also Continential Garage in the New Haven area but I do not know anything about them.
Not anymore. Joe had a great rep and I looked forward to having him do my front alignment, but they closed shop just before my car hit the road. They're sending all their customers to a shop in Hamden, Europa Motors, which I believe is owned by Joe's cousin. Unfortunately they don't do alignments (or at least didn't a couple of months ago), and a shop near here had to learn how to do it.

I've been meaning to call the former Alfa dealer in New London to see if they still service them; I think they're now a Saab dealer.

Strangely enough, our lawyer here, another Alfista, recommended a shop in, I think, White Plains or Westchester called Domenick's, but if I need a mechanic, I can't drive an hour and a half or so . . .

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Alfa-Less
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Domenick's European Car Repair, Inc.
I met one of them at the Italian Car Corral at Limerock last week.
Seemed like a good decent guy .... he was selling the Berlina in the lineup.
They are in White Plains, NY. I do not know anyone who has used them.

I also heard that there is a shop in Bow, NH that works on Alfas.

Rob Favali
2013 Fiat 500C
2007 Saab 93 SportCombi
**1993 Spider Veloce (Sold 2015)**
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:11 PM

Garage
And just to follow up on my previous post, I did call the former Alfa dealer (now Secor Saab) in New London, CT and they don't really service Alfas anymore or carry parts. Oh, well.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hit an Apex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favali
Domenick's European Car Repair, Inc.
I met one of them at the Italian Car Corral at Limerock last week.
Seemed like a good decent guy .... he was selling the Berlina in the lineup.
They are in White Plains, NY. I do not know anyone who has used them.
I bought my car from them!! they are great guys , Frank and Santo. Only problem is they are busy like no other
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 AM

Thumbs up Veloce Imports

Veloce Imports now in Londonderry NH - Joe Mount did all the service on my 164S for the previous owner. I ask him questions now and then but haven't needed to pay for repairs in the 16 months/ 37,000 miles I've owned it (everything has been owner-repairable so far). Joe is a great guy and is very knowledgeable. I wouldn't hesitate to use him if I had to. Be warned he charges a one hour minimum though.

For alignments I use Dupont's in Dover NH. They know what they're doing and I've always felt they have appropriate respect for specialty cars. Dupont's is also very good with Bosch fuel injection.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:31 PM

Where is this Dupont in Dover you speak of?

I want a close/reliable shop that will do the stuff i cant like alignments and such
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM

Dupont's is off of 155 behind the Irving station. If you see EAD Motors you've gone too far.

Dupont's Service Center
28 Sumner Dr
Dover, NH 03820-5451
(603) 742-8627
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:26 AM

Garage
Any good Alfa mechanics near Providence?

Greetings:
I see that this thread hasn't been active lately…

I got to within about a mile of this year's big Tutto Italiano when the right pedal stopped working. Apparently there's no cable for the throttle in an '84 Spider Veloce! As far as I can't tell one of the ball and socket joints closer to the throttle body popped off. I'm more apt to have it towed to a local shop as opposed to start taking the emission control stuff apart over the linkage close to the air intake......

A non-Alfa car nut recommended Blue and White on County St in Attleboro. Though they are more of a BMW place these days, he told me that they were an Alfa repair place back in the day. Can anyone here confirm this? I just called and the message on the answering machine said "...the mail box for ________, is full. Please hang up." I thought I'd check here before actually taking a spin over in the lesser car.......

Thanks
Marc.

Marc
Southeastern, Massachusetts
alfabb member #1672 (I think...)

[B]Auto[/B]-biography:
- [COLOR=Red]'84 Spider [/COLOR] 2003-Present
- [COLOR=SlateGray]'97 Jetta [/COLOR] 1997-Present
- [COLOR=SeaGreen]'98 Accord [/COLOR] 1998-Present
- [COLOR=Red]'85 GTI (RIP) [/COLOR] 1991-1997
- [COLOR=Gray]'86 GTI (RIP)[/COLOR] 1988-1991
- [COLOR=Gray]'66 Chevy Caprice Classic (RIP)[/COLOR] 1986-1988

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode