New England Roll Call - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 03:28 PM

I've just started a partial restoration on a basket case 1980 Spider. I'm a first time Alfa owner. Even though it doesn't run, and it's loaded with rocker panel rot, it still looks great to me. But then, I've yet to start plowing money into it! My goal is to be able to drive it around town on weekends to fill the void between my bicyle and my daily driver (1997 Buick Riviera).

If anyone is presently doing any MIG welding of body panels in the New England area, I'm very interested in observing the process. Give me a shout.

Walter Powers
Warwick, RI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Hey, I live in Berwick, Maine. Owned a 1973 GTV since 1980 and would love to hook up with fellow alfisti for quick road trips this spring/summer.
post #48 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Walter, I had my first encounter this past weekend. Had a bad spot in the drivers floor board and decided to buy a welder and give it a try. Not bad, but I am definately no Jesse James or Orange County Chopper material!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

Fred Widmer -- 1972 Berlina, faded maroon, daily driver. I bought it this past October and drove it home from National City, Cal. (San Diego area). Almost no rust at all but if I don't stop this nonsense of driving in every snowstorm I'll be joining Walter and tmartin3, MIG welding my merry way through the spring. (So, my MIG, TIG and stick welding skills are fair. I don't do a lot but over the years the experience adds up. However, in brazing and silver soldering I am expert . Sometimes after welding something I find that brazing or silver soldering would have been more appropriate, but how else is one going to learn?)

Berlinas didn't appeal to me for the first years of my Alfa awareness. I bought a '74 GTV from a friend about 8 years ago. It would 'ride nice' on the highway and was fun on the back roads but I scared myself a couple times taking a sudden turn. So, the suspension was not tops and, at that time, I was a fan of old, hard tires for their almost everlasting wear. At the end of the summer when it came time for inspection it wouldn't pass (rust) and has never made it back onto the road. (Well, who's fault is that? ) It sits outside. For years I thought I was going to fix it! This week I started cutting it up with a sawzall. (It IS cold out there.) Dismembering one's darling on the cold white snow takes getting used to but gets more and more fun as more and more pieces fall off and the bondo is revealed and revealed and revealed. My poor baby. Being me I'm saving everything, down to the teensy screws. A few items will go into the Berlina. Would you believe I'm trying to take off the roof and upper body as a whole, for...what? Possible use in a sculpture?

In my limited experience, the Berlina seems to take any corner, at any speed, on a rail. With its low stance, solid frame and Campagnolo magnesium rims wearing fresh Cinturatos it can drive circles around what the GTV would do. Was it just that the rusted GTV was floppy? I'm looking forward to exploring this question! I never took the GTV all the way up to see how fast it would go, but bringing the Berlina home across country I was on a lonely road in Arizona... but could push the Berlina only to 100mph. Then I realized we were at 7,000 ft. above sea level and were doing just fine.

The other thing about my Berlina is that it's sort of innocuous, but not quite. I see some people question themselves about it as I go by. In Boston a Very Nice car can be a liability for use as a daily driver. Even though the Berlina is rather tiny, I'm happy to see Very Nice cars ease away from the sleeper "old beater" with its loop of seatbelt hanging out of the passenger door. Or does it look frail, like a little old lady crossing the street? Well, its a blessing not to attract the attention of the local constabulary. I never met so many of them as when I drove the GTV around that one summer.

Fred
post #50 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Now that the Velocissima Forum has officially moved over to the Alfabb hopefully we can get lots of local alfa rides and alfa gatherings together.

Remeber to check back often for updates!!!
post #51 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Garage
Thumbs up this board rocks!

Hi y'all, this board was a great idea--I joined a few weeks ago when I needed info on radio color codes to install an aftermarket stereo and found what I needed right away. It's great to know AONE is now part of it. Main squeeze Millie and I Had a terrific time at the convention and the Monadnock tour and hope to get in more events this year (once I get the waterpump and rear muffler replaced, that is).

Welcome aboard, Walt, we probably live just a few miles apart--I'm in the north end of N.K.
Attached Images

post #52 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:10 PM

Nice looking car Kenny. I live in the Potowomut area of Warwick. Do you know the lady who drives a series 2 red spider in the N. Kingstown area? I've seen her a few times at Dave's Market on the E.G. N.K. line.

[U]Walter Powers[/U]
1989 Spider Veloce
1980 Spider Veloce Project Car
post #53 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:01 PM

Garage
Mystery car owner

Walt, I've got a sneaking suspicion you may have seen me picking up or dropping off my girlfriend's daughter--she works in that shopping center. Until the salt hit the roads I used the Alfa for that errand 3-4 times a week.

Also, I'm curious, what is that TIG welding you've learned? Is it a method that doesn't require big bucks to get started in?
post #54 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Garage
Talking Ps

Walt, thanks for the kind words about the car--it's a driver, unrestored & I'm hoping to squeeze as much out of it as possible before I have to go the route you're going with the '80. And make that MIG welding
post #55 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Kenny, be sure to check out the "I spy..." thread here in the NE section. There has been a bunch of red spider sightings in Woonsocketand and near Moonstone Beach. Perhaps yours?
post #56 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Garage
Jake, thanks for the tip, turns out I was one of the culprits. I 'm probably the Moonstone Beach RI Alfa sighting--Millie and I were down there several times this summer. We like to hike at the Trustom Pond wildlife preserve and stop by Daddy's Bread. Used to live right up the road from there.
post #57 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi Kenny,

TIG and MIG welding are similar. In TIG welding a filler rod is held in one hand and the torch in the other. It uses a non-consumable tunsten electrode to strike the welding arc.

In MIG welding, the electrode is metal wire fed off of a spool automatically through the torch. The wire is the filler material. It only requires one hand.

With TIG, if the sheet metal joint is really tight (very difficult to achieve with replacement panels), filler rod may not be required since the two panels can be fused together and any depression remaining can be filled with lead or bondo prior to painting.

Most people use MIG to weld in replacement auto panels since it is generally considered easier and faster. I prefer TIG since I can use the filler rod to build up the seam without burning through the thin sheet metal panel. The weld can then be ground down using a small grinder/sander flush with the adjoining panels.

I learned how to TIG weld at CCRI (Community College of Rhode Island).

[U]Walter Powers[/U]
1989 Spider Veloce
1980 Spider Veloce Project Car
post #58 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Garage
Walt, thanks for the explanation. Maybe someday I'll get to that point & at least now I've got an overview.
post #59 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:27 PM

New England Roll call

Hey all-just joined the forum. I live in Attleboro MA.
Member of AONE and AROCt.

-John Torello
'82 GTV6 3.0 track car
'68 GTJ/GTAm vintage racer project
post #60 of 234 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Welcome aboard, John!

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode