Connecticut Events - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Connecticut Events

from a recent email from the CT AROC chapter:

The July issue of Veloce Espresso will be mailed soon, (real soon, now) but here's an advanced notice of upcoming events.
July 19th is the Third Thursday meeting for officers and anyone interested in attending, quaffing a few and "fine dining". It will be held at "Gabriele Ristorante", 326 Boston Post Road, Orange, next to (behind?) the world famous Christmas Tree Shop. So if the meeting's dull -- go shopping. The festivities start officially at 7:00 PM. We'll talk; we'll plan; we'll have a drink; we'll plot; we'll scheme; we'll eat. What more could you ask for?

On Sunday the 22nd, we'll gather at Laurel Diner in Southbury at 8:00 AM, eat the country's best corned beef hash and/or home fries (according to Gourmet Magazine AND me), and thus fortified we'll caravan to route 7 and the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market. There'll be hundreds of vendors and and lots of good things to haggle over.
The Laurel Diner is on Main Street South between exits 14 nad 15 off I-84. Across the street is the town's memorial and the former library where additional parking is available.
Hope to see you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber

CT events sound great... didn't realize there was an active CT chapter of AROC. How does one get on the e-mail distribution list?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I would contact Randy at the email address in the first post - you can join AROC and they will assign you to the Connecticut chapter unless you request otherwise.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbinct View Post
from a recent email from the CT AROC chapter:

The July issue of Veloce Espresso will be mailed soon, (real soon, now) but here's an advanced notice of upcoming events.
July 19th is the Third Thursday meeting for officers and anyone interested in attending, quaffing a few and "fine dining". It will be held at "Gabriele Ristorante", 326 Boston Post Road, Orange, next to (behind?) the world famous Christmas Tree Shop. So if the meeting's dull -- go shopping. The festivities start officially at 7:00 PM. We'll talk; we'll plan; we'll have a drink; we'll plot; we'll scheme; we'll eat. What more could you ask for?

On Sunday the 22nd, we'll gather at Laurel Diner in Southbury at 8:00 AM, eat the country's best corned beef hash and/or home fries (according to Gourmet Magazine AND me), and thus fortified we'll caravan to route 7 and the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market. There'll be hundreds of vendors and and lots of good things to haggle over.
The Laurel Diner is on Main Street South between exits 14 nad 15 off I-84. Across the street is the town's memorial and the former library where additional parking is available.
Hope to see you.

Mmmm, corned beef hash. I'm in! Been looking for some CT events, since AONE things mostly seem to be around Boston.

-Rob
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

My wife and I just moved from Long Island to Litchfield, CT, and I've been trying to find information about the CT chapter, but it has not been easy.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcess View Post
My wife and I just moved from Long Island to Litchfield, CT, and I've been trying to find information about the CT chapter, but it has not been easy.
Welcome to the neighborhood! I live on the West side of Torrington, just a few miles from the Litchfield green. Nice collection of Alfas you're bringing to town.

When I joined AROC, I affiliated with the New England chapter, because it seemed like they were more active than the Connecticut chapter, but since all the events are 2+ hours away, I'm not sure that made any difference.

Maybe we'll see more CT Alfisti drawn out onto the open in this thread.

-Rob
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM

It would be nice to see some of the 26 or so CT members of the BB at some time or another.

As luck would have it, I won't be around for the "hash & home fries" meet.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

Rob,

I have sent you a PM.

Bob Cess

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hey Fred (lowmileage), I move to CT to get away from you and you track me down (just kidding).

Next time you feel like exercising your gorgeous GTV drive on up and I'll show you my heated four-car garage.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I think this calls for an organized drive. I used to live in Litchfield (Morris, more precisely) and some of the roads in that part of the state are perfect Alfa territory.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
I think this calls for an organized drive. I used to live in Litchfield (Morris, more precisely) and some of the roads in that part of the state are perfect Alfa territory.
Do you still live nearby, MLC? I've been in Torrington for 3 years since moving back from Colorado (I'm from CT originally, but East of the river), but most activities take me towards Hartford, so I haven't gotten to know the roads around here that well.

I'm willing to help organize a get-together (drive-together?) if I can get some guidance on a route.

Rob
'79 Spider Veloce
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmar23 View Post
Do you still live nearby, MLC? I've been in Torrington for 3 years since moving back from Colorado (I'm from CT originally, but East of the river), but most activities take me towards Hartford, so I haven't gotten to know the roads around here that well.

I'm willing to help organize a get-together (drive-together?) if I can get some guidance on a route.
East of the River huh? I live southeast of Hartford now.

IMO, the following guidelines should be followed when planning one of these drives:

1. Pick a destination. Usually an interesting place to stop and have lunch and chat.

2. Find a route that has as many sharp turns and as few stops as possible. Even if this means criss-crossing a more direct route on your way toward the destination. No one minds since the idea is to have a fun drive rather than finding the quickest way to the destination.

3. Avoid populated areas as much as possible.

From Litchfield, one could go West toward Lake Waramaug and Hopkins Vinyard. I might even go Morris, Lakeside, Washington Depot, and then New Preston. Another option would be to go Northwest towards Cornwall, and then turn Southwest, stopping in Kent for lunch (I always liked the Bulls Bridge Inn).

Part of the fun will be getting into your spider and experimenting with different routes If you organize a drive and give enough notice, I'll definitely be there.

Michael.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Litchfield county run

I have a rally route that runs from Naugatuck out through Litchfield County and could be set to end somewhere out there that we would like to gather to eat. Pretty route with low amounts of traffic and no unpaved (although I love unpaved roads). It was put together last summer as a very straightforward component to an SCCA event for people who do not regularly compete in rallies. Litchfield county is definitely the best area of the state for this sort of fun.

I live in South Windsor and have been quite active with the AONE crowd.

Mark Ziburis

'92 Spider
'93 164 AT
'87 Milano
'83 GTV6
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Mark,

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Joining AROC / Connecticut Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbinct View Post
I would contact Randy at the email address in the first post - you can join AROC and they will assign you to the Connecticut chapter unless you request otherwise.

Paul
ASFAIK, AROC does not assign anyone to any particular chapter, you must specify the the chapter or chapters that you wish to join or affiliate with and pay the appropriate yearly dues in addition to the AROC annual dues. If assigning everyone to a chapter that did not pay local chapter dues or specify a specific chapter there is one chapter, that I know of, that would have a huge population since they do not charge additional dues on top of the AROC annual dues.

When I joined AROC the membership form listed all the chapters and their annual dues so you knew how much to add to your national AROC dues. That appears to no longer be the case, the form only asks if you wish to associate with a local chapter and which one. I tried both Detroit and AONE to see if I could find the form with the complete listing. No luck. What I did discover is that the links on both local chapter sites take you to the AROC "closed" store page. Any link off the AROC site other than the home page where you click "Join" also takes you to the "closed" store site. Kind of hard to join with help like that.

You're better off printing off the form and mailing it after you call and ask for the information that is missing to tell you how much money to send. Kind of a frustrating way to attract new members.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 07-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode