Safe to join? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I think Dana's original question had to do with the security on the AONE web site. Dave at AONE does a great job with this site, but when I first joined I too questioned whether I was using a secure page when entering my information (SSL?) and so I joined through the AROC USA site.

That having been said, the AONE site was not the one that was hacked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Alfa-Less
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Dana,

Anytime you are in the Burlington area, send me an email so we can meet. I work out of my home so I am available most days....

The Spider is sleeping in Connecticut and will be back here this Spring.

I do encourage you to join AROC. I have been a member since I purchased the Spider in 1998. No regrets.....

-Rob

Rob Favali
2013 Fiat 500C
2007 Saab 93 SportCombi
**1993 Spider Veloce (Sold 2015)**
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rob,

Quote:
Posted by Favali:
Anytime you are in the Burlington area, send me an email so we can meet. I work out of my home so I am available most days....
That's good to know and you can do likewise when your going to be in Barre.
While I don't work at home (except when I bring the company laptop home with me like tonight ,just got done working ) I get there early and get done by 3:30 PM most days.

Quote:
Posted by MidLifeCrisis (sorry I haven't figured out your real name yet, can I call you MLC for short?) :
I think Dana's original question had to do with the security on the AONE web site.
Well, sort of.
I guess what I was asking was, if the AROC-USA website was down, could the local chapter do much more than hold on to my application until AROC was back up and running? I did wonder a little bit about security also. I hope that clears things up a little for everybody.

I also want to go on record as really enjoying the Velocissima website (I've even been reading back issues online) and I can't wait to start meeting and driving with my new found AONE family. My Italian is pathetic though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dana
88 Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Dana,

My name is Michael but MLC is fine

I look forward to meeting you on one of the AONE jaunts. That is, if I ever stop taking things off my car and start putting things back on. I also really like the AONE web site... like I said, Dave does a great job with this. I just shy away from entering any personal information when my browser doesn't indicate that it's a secure/encrypted connection.

I'm a little paranoid that way. In fact, Michael may not even be my real name

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteAlfa View Post
I also want to go on record as really enjoying the Velocissima website (I've even been reading back issues online) and I can't wait to start meeting and driving with my new found AONE family.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Hey... AONE is a great bunch of Alfisti, that I can highly recommend joining. I got my wife to go with me on a fall foliage cruise and she loved the members she met. My only regret is that I haven't made enough effort on my part to participate in more of the club events. This will change.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 AM

We are also trying to get club autocrosses going again, hopefully sometime this spring...

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I can't thank you all enough for great information and warm welcome.

Quote:
We are also trying to get club autocrosses going again, hopefully sometime this spring...
Spring, ah spring, did someone say spring?
Well let me just say, AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Cil da groundhog, cil da groundhog, C-I-L, cil da groundhog.
(My apologies to Eddie Murphy and the Saturday Night Live cast.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dana
88 Graduate

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Safe to Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endel View Post
Hey... AONE is a great bunch of Alfisti, that I can highly recommend joining.
I second that. They are a kind of spread out club over the Eastern states but came together to put on a wonderful convention in 2004 in New Hampshire under the leadership of Brian Shorey. A genuine good group of people who care and share the love of Alfa and getting together and enjoying them.

Who knows, you may have a new AROC board member from this club in the upcoming elections.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding to my post Cheryl . I feel honored though a little embarrassed, having just posted a sophmoric attempt at humor only to have an authority figure walk into the room (yes you most deffinately are an authority). I have been lurking around here since about late October and I've noticed that certain names keep popping up on the main BB offering very good advice and just plain fun postings many of whom seem to be from the northeast and the AONE chapter . I think my efforts to improve and enjoy my Alfa will be much easier with so many talented and wise members to guide me.

As a side note, let me just say my "cil da groundhog" post was blowing off steam after a frustrating day at work and an incredible amount of snow when I arrived home . My driveway is about 60 feet long and I managed to get my 4wd Jeep Cherokee stuck not once but twice . I then snow blowed 2 feet of the white stuff before taking a break and making that post. I then did it again for the 5" to 6" that fell while I was writing it . I then got up this morning and did it again for the 5" to 6" of snow that fell and drifted overnight, as well as a 4 to 4 1/2 foot packed snowbank at the end of my driveway , as well as helping my 90 year old neighbor and my other neighbor who's plow guy didn't show up till 3:00 pm today.

I finaly got to work 2 hours late at 8:15 am and man it's all I can do to keep my eyes open now. Gonna sleep good tonight .

In closing I'd like to say that we don't kill groundhogs in Vermont, we call them woodchucks .

Try saying this real fast:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

WHEW!!! Time for bed .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dana
88 Graduate

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Safe to Join?

Quote:
Thanks for responding to my post Cheryl . I feel honored though a little embarrassed, having just posted a sophmoric attempt at humor only to have an authority figure walk into the room (yes you most deffinately are an authority). I have been lurking around here since about late October and I've noticed that certain names keep popping up on the main BB offering very good advice and just plain fun postings many of whom seem to be from the northeast and the AONE chapter . I think my efforts to improve and enjoy my Alfa will be much easier with so many talented and wise members to guide me.
Dana,

You have a lot to learn on "authority" status; there are so many who would disagree with you and publicly. As I hate to list those that have done so much for the club and are true SMEs on Alfa for fear I will miss someone or offend someone; on the flip side, I wouldn't attempt to list those that would disagree with you....certainly I would miss someone who did not get mentioned and they in turn would feel left out that they were not included. I ran out of fingers and toes long ago to count them. As my signature states I'm not an authority on anything.

Unless, of course, you'd like to know where to catalogue XYZ book in the LC system, and actually Lois Mai Chan is the recognized authority on that one, or how to properly cite something in proper form in a bibliography in a given format or style.

You should enjoy the AONE bunch and Dave does a marvelous job with their site. He is also very open to concerns, suggestions, improvements etc. just drop him an e-mail at the link provided on the website.

FTR, let me also clarify that I do not live in the North, Northeast etc. nor do I belong to AONE. I belong to the Detroit club.

Cheryl

Last edited by Pat Braden; 02-16-2007 at 03:09 PM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi Cheryl,

Now that I've read my post again I think I should have been more clear.
I was trying to include all the people on this board who are active and helpful no matter where they live, and also note that quite a few come from the northeast and AONE in particular.

As for you not being an authority, well, I just learned more from your post on jack stands than I would have had questions to ask and I thought I had a lot of questions. I guess I just don't know what I don't know. Again thanks for the replies and keep up those informative posts.

Note to self: Buy a set of 2 ton ratchet, geared, locking jack stands.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dana
88 Graduate

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey, Northern Alfisti--if you plan a nice drive to Vermont this season, let AONE know--we are always looking for another event

Kevin
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin murphy View Post
Hey, Northern Alfisti--if you plan a nice drive to Vermont this season, let AONE know--we are always looking for another event

Kevin
Any thoughts on Hildene in the Manchester area? Does that co-incide with the Mt. Equinox hillclimb?

Nick D'Eri

1972 Montreal
2008 Mercedes E550 4-Matic
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
2008 Piaggio Fly 50
1977 Peugeot 103 Moped
------------------------
Former Italians:
1968 Fiat Dino Spider 2.0 2003 - 2013
1992 164S 2002 - 2008
1981 Spider Veloce 2001 - 2003
1974 Fiat 124 Spider 1979 - 1981
------------------------
Dad's Former Italians:
1962 Giulietta Spider 1964 - 1969
1969 Berlina 1750 1970 - 1971
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Well, it's time to bring this thread full circle.

First, let me thank everyone that responded, whether to offer information on my original questions or to offer your friendship and a ride some sunny day.

Update: I took the plunge and joined today.

However, I had to do so by phone rather than online. The folks at AROC have the website back up but not quite 100%. They are still working hard to resolve some issues pertaining to the online store. Also they are changing suppliers on some of their clothing lines and I couldn't purchase the clothing I would like right now, but I will in the future (an Alfisti without an Alfa hat? no way! ).

Anyway, say hello to the newest member of AROC USA, AONE Chapter.
I can't wait to get my cream colored 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate out from under her blanket and work on her to get ready for a great summer of driving and to meet my new found friends.

As I look out the window of my basement office, I can't help but think,
Whack Da Woodchuck! Whack Da... Oh, never mind.
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dana
88 Graduate

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Safe to Join

Quote:
Well, it's time to bring this thread full circle.

Anyway, say hello to the newest member of AROC USA, AONE Chapter.
I can't wait to get my cream colored 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate out from under her blanket and work on her to get ready for a great summer of driving and to meet my new found friends.

As I look out the window of my basement office, I can't help but think,
Whack Da Woodchuck! Whack Da... Oh, never mind.
Congratulations!!! A great group of Alfisti that you've joined.

The picture is beautiful to look at as long as I don't have to live in it or deal with it on an every day, every hour basis. Actually, I found out that I did better in Michigan in the snow than I did there in the hot, humid, muggy summers; not to forget the "lovely" flying insects to contend with also.

The snow was a lot of fun to play in and enjoy for a couple of weeks at a time....driving to Flint in a blizzard was not; a 45 minute trip that took 4 hours. The first thing we looked for was a jacuzzi.

Cheryl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode