Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Fuel pump died!

10K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  mz107 
#1 · (Edited)
Well if it isn't one thing its another! The last issues were the fuel lines leaking, now it won't start and seems like a fuel issue. So I took out the meter and had my son turn the key, and I had 6 volts to the pump. I didn't hear or feel it running, so I took the positive lead off and measured the voltage and I was getting 10 or 11 volts. I assume the pump is stuck, and I have read a few people have taken them apart cleaned it up and it worked fine, but I figure I can get a new one since they are available and have this as a back up. That is if it can be fixed! This is the pump that came with the car when I bought it 6 years ago, who knows when it was (Or if it was) replaced.

I know, no biggie, but what about the rubber boots for the posts on the pump? Does anyone make those or know where to get them? I could just put a blub of silicone on them to keep them clean and dry.

Any thoughts or information is appreciated,

#3 ·
If you have a 12volt battery then hook it up directly to the pump and see if it runs. If it does then the pump is OK and you have a high resistance in the circuit. If it does not run then it is dead. If it is a Bosch pump be aware that they cannot cope with rust or scale in the gas as the clearances are very tight.

#4 ·
I made the one correction in the pervious message, "Didn't" feel or hear it running! Sorry for that one and this is my GTV6. I know these are sensitive pumps and one of the other jobs I did was to clean the strainer for the fuel tank over a year ago. I was happy to see it was intact and nothing came out of the tank other than clean gas.
I was going to jump 12 volts to the pump but it was a time issue on Sunday and if I started doing this I know I would have gone deeper than the time I had before the tapping foot was starting down at me!
New pump is ordered and I will take the bracket's for the pump and filter down and clean them up before the new pump & filter arrive.
What about the little rubber boots for the positive and negative leads? What replacement would you recommend?

#6 ·
Rubber boots for your electrical connections can be found at Napa, autozone, orielly, etc. Just don’t tell them your looking for Alfa parts or you’ll get a blank look.

#7 ·
Maybe it was bad luck giving fuel pump advice. I drove over some tree debris from the storms last night and a piece took out my pump. It took 3.5 hours from calling AllState motoring club to the tow truck arriving.

#12 ·
Indian call centers now? Great.

I sold my towing business in 2005. Allstate paid horribly, both in rates and over 60 days. Hard to get quality towing companies to work for them. I fired them pretty quickly.

It can be easier to get towing endorsement on your auto insurance for about 1/3 the cost of a "motor club". You call the tow truck, you pay for it, give the bill to your agent for reimbursement. At least that's how it was in the olden days......

#13 ·
I belong to AAA and get 3 or 4 tows up to 100 miles. I recently had to be towed nearly 50 miles when my Milano broke down on the freeway. The towing rate in Los Angeles is $9 per mile. I had to be towed again for another break down. I had to wait about 30 minutes for each tow. I should upgrade my AAA membership that includes 4 tows up to 200 miles. My auto insurance company only pays $75 for towing.

I have owned my Milano since 1988 and have been towed four times in 31 years because of a dead battery, broken water pump belt, broken transmission mount and broken timing belt. I have had another four Alfas towed but, two of them were accidents and two because of break downs. I have driven Alfas for 51 years and six tows for mechanical break down is not too much. I could have bought a new battery, replaced the broken water pump belt, replaced the transmission mount but the other break downs required engine repair. I have driven more than 650K miles with various Alfa cars.

#14 ·
It can be easier to get towing endorsement on your auto insurance for about 1/3 the cost of a "motor club". You call the tow truck, you pay for it, give the bill to your agent for reimbursement. At least that's how it was in the olden days......
I think that I already have 25 mile towing on my State Farm policy. I should keep the business card of a good local outfit in my wallet. The AARP/Allstate is 100 miles. I have never needed a tow of more than 25 but I think I know what will happen if I cancel the AARP. I twice suffered major breakdowns on Al Mitchell's dyno in Virginia and neither of them would have been any good if we had not been able to replace a blown Giubo and a blown head gasket at his place.

#16 ·
I cancelled the AARP club and got a $96 refund for 11 unused months. I had to pay $16 to add towing to my Jag and Spider policies with State Farm. For some reason it was only on my wife's Highlander.
Thanks for the inside scoop.

#17 ·
Sorry for one small question?

I recall the first time my first Alfetta died suddenly and I could not get it started. I was at a stop sign but there was little traffic. I finally called an Alfa buddy of the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club who I knew had an Alfetta too. HE SAID, "JAY, DID YOU CHECK THE ROLLOVER SWITCH ON THE FIREWALL?" I had never had trouble of any kind before and hadn't even heard of it. I poked the button down on the little plastic "can" like item on the firewall, and the pump ran beautifully and I was able to drive off. So, did you check to see the button was pushed down on the rollover switch on the firewall? Excuse me for asking.

#19 ·
I tend to over think things, what if the new pump I ordered from Centerline comes with the rubber boots? And it does! I will jack the car up tomorrow and swap the pump and filter. Here's where I get carried away again, the hoses were already changed expect for the 2" piece between the filter and pump. The brackets that hold the pump and filter look very weathered. I think I'll sand blast and powder coat them!
I'll let you know which way that goes.
Notice the label for the pump, it doesn't say "Alfa" Always forgotten, under appreciated.

Attachments

#20 ·
I actually did check the inertia switch, like you I had a similar experience with Jaguar XJ6L. I hit a bump and the car shut down! I spent days trying to figure that one out and someone walked up and asked me what's wrong with her? (Other than Lucas electronics Nothing) I explained the problem, and he said with out missing a beat did you check the inertia switch? I was young and didn't know much yet, so I said What's a urgency switch? He said this thing is your inertia switch. As he pointed to this grey cylinder thing under the dash on the passenger side. I was 19 or 20 at the time in 1982 and there was no internet and I hadn't bought a Haynes manual for the car yet. I pushed the button down and it started right up! Why he knew about the switch and this car I never asked, I thanked him several times as I cursed the guys from Jaguar a few more times.
It's funny the switch from the Alfa and the 1977 Jaguar are exactly the same.

#24 ·
Happy to report the new pump and filter are installed and car is back on the road! I would like to also mention that I was able to clean out and get the old pump to work again. What came out of the pump looked like sand or granular (not much) but it did stop the pump.
I also didn't get too carried away yet with the paint/ powder coating since time was limited this weekend. I will be doing it when I drop out the rear end and change all the bushings and baring's.

Just so its said, Yes I did change the spade lugs and I soldered them on so no weak electrical connection. The New boots are great, the hole for the wire pass through is tight and will do a good job at stopping water from travel down.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.