Alfa Romeo Forums banner

85 GTV6 2.5 Wiper and Window Slow

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Gepetto 
#1 ·
I got my car today, first think out of the box the window and wiper motors are super slow, could they be related or just a coincidence?

Other than that it runs and starts good, I'm pretty sure it needs a clutch, not slipping, but the engagement point is very high and shifting is rough in all gears if I don't go slow and easy.

#4 ·
Thanks, there's no change in speed, there's also no change of wiper speed regardless of setting on the control.

Congratulations! I also have slow wipers and windows on my "new" gtv6. I just came in from greasing up the wiper linkage to try to speed it up. That's my suggestion for a good first step, if you open the hood and look up under the cowl you can see the balls and sockets for the linkage. Btry spraying some libricant like white lithium grease or similar into the joints. Also down the shafts that poke through the cowl. I did this on my 71 Spider years ago with a huge improvement.

For the windows besides cleaning the connections the big issue is that the grease in the cables dries out. So the real solution is unfortunately pulling out the regulator and cleaning out the old grease. If they work well when the car is warm or has been sitting in the sun, then get slower when cold, that's the problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Thank you - I squirted all the wiper linkage with wd40, no change.. bah... I will take the door panels and clean things up, the window is moving faster now that the cars been sitting in the sun all day so I'm hopeful that a good cleaning will fix that issue.

#3 ·
Congratulations! I also have slow wipers and windows on my "new" gtv6. I just came in from greasing up the wiper linkage to try to speed it up. That's my suggestion for a good first step, if you open the hood and look up under the cowl you can see the balls and sockets for the linkage. Btry spraying some libricant like white lithium grease or similar into the joints. Also down the shafts that poke through the cowl. I did this on my 71 Spider years ago with a huge improvement.

For the windows besides cleaning the connections the big issue is that the grease in the cables dries out. So the real solution is unfortunately pulling out the regulator and cleaning out the old grease. If they work well when the car is warm or has been sitting in the sun, then get slower when cold, that's the problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I added a relay to our GTV6. In the original configuration, the ignition switch has to carry all the electrical loads for the switched circuits. My measurements with a simple voltmeter indicated it is not capable of supplying the electrons needed. With the relay, the ignition switch triggers the relay which is then able to deliver full system voltage to the switched circuits. Result: windows move at a reasonable speed (I wouldn't call them fast but no longer glacial), and the wipers move a little faster, too.

Scroll down in this thread for more info: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/543281-proud-owner-82-gtv6.html

#7 ·
You can determine whether slow windows are due to mechanical and/or electrical issues by removing the door panels and applying 12V from a good battery directly to the connector to the regulator. If they go much faster then the relay fix is a good one. If they are hardly any faster then it is a mechanical/lubrication problem. A moderate improvement probably means that you need both fixes.

#10 · (Edited)
I echo what @ghnl said. I did the same thing and it made an improvement. Lubricating things with some graphite spray can help, too.

Regarding the clutch, they all engage pretty high - even from new. My GTV6 does that, and my old Milano 3.0 did that even with a new clutch. It takes a little getting used to but unless it's actually slipping, you're ok. The gears are a different story. The Alfa transaxle cars have delicate synchronizes that you can't rush, really. You need to finesse the gear lever into the appropriate gear with some mechanical sensitivity. Double clutching for a downshift from 3rd to 2nd is almost always a must. Going up through the gears you should be OK if you take it easy. But, if the syncros are in good shape, you can still shift fairly quickly going up and down, especially if you double clutch. If after taking it easy it's still grinding, then you may need new syncros and sleeves.

#11 ·
I use the graphite spray, also. I spray it on the gears, the pulley wheels, the felt channels and the dew wipes. There is a bit of cleanup to do afterwards, but always helpful.

My transaxle is well worn. I find that counting one one thousand (pull the shifter into neutral), two one thousand (slide it into gear) as I shift through the gears, to slow down my shifting, I crunch the gear less. Also, when down shifting, I'll offer up the shifter and feel the synchro, blip the throttle, and slide it in. My current game on the way to and from work is to see if I can crunch the gears less on the drive home then I did on the drive to work.

#12 ·
Today I did the relay by-pass on the wipers, it helped both the wipers and the window motors a bit.

Next I pulled the linkage off the wiper motor and soaked down all the joints with penetrating oil, then lubed them up. All three setting for the wipers now work, high speed is about the same as low speed on my FJ cruiser, so it still needs some help. One of the linkages is still a bit tight, I'm going to let it soak overnight and see if loosens up, if not I'll have to figure out how it comes apart - looks like it's pressed.

On to the windows, pulled both door panels, cleaned and greased it up. They work about as well as I would expect, not fast, but I don't think they ever were. But acceptable.

There's a couple fuses missing, one of them is my high-beams (probably why they don't work) - I've never seen that type before. Anyone know where I might find them in the US?

#16 ·
That seems like a reasonable speed. Was that low or high?

I don't know if there's an easy way to get the joints apart other than prying it out. It looks to me like the top part is crimped on. I just tried to shoot white lithium grease into it and move it around. I don't remember if there is a plastic liner that might break if you try to pry it loose.

#21 ·
Mine are the same speed. If that's any consolation. They don't appear to have anything close to a fast setting. I ought to jump them directly with 12v to see if it makes a difference.

It's one of the reasons I layer on the RainX

#22 ·
I now buy the window washing fluid with the actual advertised RainX already added. Works fine IMO.

I think it has to be the actual named RainX brand fluid which is added in the washer fluid. I bought another brand of washer fluid once and while it said it had a RainX 'style' repellent in it, it didn't seem to work all that well in comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.