Anybody convert BACK to SPICA? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Anybody convert BACK to SPICA?

Has anybody taken an Alfetta that was switched to carbs and convert it BACK to SPICA? Just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 PM

In 15 years .. it might be the thing to do.... but then we will be out of petroleum to push through your SPICA.. Interesting question and merits a better answer.
SamSteinig likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Platinum Subscriber

There have been posts and maybe threads from guys who have done it but take a look at the cost of a rebuilt Spica pump and all of the other parts that are getting scarcer.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Spica is a love hate relationship...If it works good..... it's great. Here in California it is impossible to pass smog on my 1976 Alfetta GT unless the car has SPICA....
divotandtralee likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguy 17 View Post
Spica is a love hate relationship...If it works good..... it's great. Here in California it is impossible to pass smog on my 1976 Alfetta GT unless the car has SPICA....
But then do you spend $4000 to convert on an Alfetta that might be pristine and worth $4000 when you have passed inspection?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
It came with SPICA so was no prob.....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Reason I originally posted this was b/c I had seen an Alfetta GT for sale that had Webers, but also came with the original SPICA system that they had taken out (no clue as to its condition), so I got curious.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Curiosity is a good thing .. but I would leave it alone and keep the SPICA in the closet. If you need it to be legal, I'm sure you can figure +'s and -'s from what it will take financially.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Curiosity is a good thing .. but I would leave it alone and keep the SPICA in the closet. If you need it to be legal, I'm sure you can figure +'s and -'s from what it will take financially.
I could always sell it to Wes Ingram, haha...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM

It is worth more in the closet..
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
It is worth more in the closet..
That's true, LOL
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 AM

I don’t agree with some of the above. When I bought my Alfetta the SPICA had the typical fuel into oil leak so I bought a Wes rebuilt pump. The car runs fantastic. And starting after it sits for a while? first turn of the key. The local SPICA guru raced a car with SPICA and it made good power although he eventually switch to Weber’s.
All that to say you can make SPICA cars run great, even modified ones. Yes you’ll spend money to do right but that’s always the case.
Having both Weber and SPICA cars I think it just boils down to what you want. In the case of my 79 I just wanted to keep it original, cost be damned.
SamSteinig likes this.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
I donít agree with some of the above. When I bought my Alfetta the SPICA had the typical fuel into oil leak so I bought a Wes rebuilt pump. The car runs fantastic. And starting after it sits for a while? first turn of the key. The local SPICA guru raced a car with SPICA and it made good power although he eventually switch to Weberís.
All that to say you can make SPICA cars run great, even modified ones. Yes youíll spend money to do right but thatís always the case.
Having both Weber and SPICA cars I think it just boils down to what you want. In the case of my 79 I just wanted to keep it original, cost be damned.
The more I read about SPICA and how it works, the more enamored I am of its engineering beauty. I currently don't own an Alfa (I had a Velocissima Edition '79 Sprint Veloce back in the early '90s) but am looking to get back into one SOON.
NMMilano likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteinig View Post
The more I read about SPICA and how it works, the more enamored I am of its engineering beauty. I currently don't own an Alfa (I had a Velocissima Edition '79 Sprint Veloce back in the early '90s) but am looking to get back into one SOON.
I have three Alfetta so my 79 will probably be for sale after the first of the year. PM me if youíre interested.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
I donít agree with some of the above. When I bought my Alfetta the SPICA had the typical fuel into oil leak so I bought a Wes rebuilt pump. The car runs fantastic. And starting after it sits for a while? first turn of the key. The local SPICA guru raced a car with SPICA and it made good power although he eventually switch to Weberís.
All that to say you can make SPICA cars run great, even modified ones. Yes youíll spend money to do right but thatís always the case.
If you are referring to my comments you misunderstood. I OWN a SPICA car and like it just the way it is. My comment was couched on the fact an Alfetta isn't worth tearing off carbs that work for the sake of originality. It might be to someone else but not me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode