Aftermarket seats, looking for some experienced opinons - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Aftermarket seats, looking for some experienced opinons

Having been described as the "round mound of rebound" in my younger days, things haven't gotten anymore svelte. And, my dimensions certainly don't fit the stock seats with any degree of accuracy. I'm basically sitting on the seat bolsters and the back digs into my shoulder blades. I love driving this car, but my shoulder blades still feel the impression seven hours later.

I've been looking at aftermarket seats, and have landed on these: https://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/gts-ii.html

Anyone have any experience with them...or another seat that fits those of us with a bit of girth? Looking for a recliner with some resemblance to the stock Maratona seat. I'd have them make the Corbeau's without the stitching label.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I've thought about sticking the seats from my '91 164s in the car. But I'd rather not.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:24 PM

There are definite qualitive differences in seats. I have some early 911 Recaro sport seats in my Super which are nicely made and look period correct. Recaro seats have, of course, maintained their quality over the years. Mine, however, are made by BF Torino in Italy:

https://shop.bf-torino.com/

This company in Italy makes a similar line of seats, including their own version of the early 911 Recaro sport seat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...4152175352119/

And then there's Stefan at GTS Classics in Austin. He at first appears to be more expensive but when you factor in all the costs his seats are price competitive. Although his seats resemble the European seats, he actually makes them in Austin. I've seen examples of the Porsche/Recaro replicas and they are very nice.

I don't think much of Corbeau.
horsewidower likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 09-09-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The stock GTV6 seats have the recline knob mounted high enough to clear the sill but some other seats have it mounted lower so that they will not fit. I found this when I bought a Sparco Torino.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 PM

I also found that the "Giulia" seat mounts supplied with my BF Torino seats didn't fit the mounting holes of my Super. They also put the seat too low for my taste. I bought some 2in x 3 in tubing and made my own mounts which put the seat height where I wanted it. Seat mounts are a bit of a crap-shoot. Only Recaro had a comprehensive list of mounts, including period Alfas. Don't know if they still do or not.
horsewidower likes this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:28 AM

Make sure you measure carefully. The GTV6 is very narrow...difficult to mount any other seats and retain full function. I seem to recall someone mounting Miata seats nicely which are flatter than the GTV6 ones.
alfaparticle likes this.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
Anyone have experience with the sport seats Centerline sells? Also, are seat rails and mounting the same for Alfetta as GTV6?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Will the oem Alfa Recaros from a Milano fit a GTV6? There's a reasonable chance that both the seats and seat frames will bolt in. Maybe. If my hunch is right, picking up a pair of Milano Recaros and having them rebuilt-reupholstered would probably be your best bet.

An additional word about the D'esser and BF Torino seats. While the seats themselves are well made, obtaining them proved to be a vexing experience because the vendors proved to be impossibly hard to deal with. Neither of these companies are good at answering emails---even when repeatedly sent. This was a puzzlement since I was obviously prepared to send them money for a pair of seats . . . I got the impression that both companies were probably a one-man-band kind of operation with not a lot of time to answer emails from the States. Or something. While I purchased a pair of BF seats for a good price from a vendor in NL, he went silent when I told him the seat rails I purchased didn't fit my Super. For this reason, I recommend Stefan at GTS Seats in Austin. I've met him, he's a nice guy and a real enthusiast. Since he makes the seats himself, he can make what you want.
horsewidower likes this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 AM

I talked to Stefan, and his workmanship is beyond belief. However, I'd have real trouble justifying that sort of expense for a car that isn't headed for concours. We're talking an estimate almost as high as my car is worth.
I'm looking at nabbing a pair of Recaros from a mkIV GTI and buying a cloth kit to recover them. All in less than $500. They look right and are IMO more comfortable, probably because they're a smidge wider across the shoulders. Miata seats are also dimensionally appropriate and look a lot like old 911 seats. Comfy and easy/cheap to recover, as well.
That said, have you considered going with a pair of seats from the '81-'82 GTV6? They're the same dimensions as the old GTV and Alfetta so they bolt right in, but are far less aggressively bolstered.
horsewidower likes this.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM

I have the Corbeau Forza seats in my 76 Alfetta and they fit very well. Now that being said, you'll need to get Corbeau to make you some "lower" seat rails. Corbeau stock rails for the Alfa are too high and your head seems to hit the roof. I got them to make seat rails for me that are about 1" in height. Extra $100 for the Corbeau rails but the fit is very nice.

I have a Milano I'm getting ready for SCCA Rallycross in October, and I'm putting the Summit Racing recliners w/brackets for $525. Since I live in Reno, I pick up at warehouse.
horsewidower likes this.

'76 Alfetta GT, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, '78 sports sedan (2 of them) - sold, '91 164L - sold, '83 GTV6 -sold, '87 Milano Verde - sold, '91 spider -sold, '69 MGB GT,
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Corbeau will also shave 2" from the bottom seat cushion as a $49 factory option. They also offer a direct fit Alfetta rail kit. For the prices, a pretty great deal.
The GTS2 seats look the most "right," almost Recaro-like, although the Sport design looks OK and are a couple hundred bucks less.
They also sell as pairs.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Only ‘experienced opinions’ ?
That’s not fair, there are lots of us out here with tons of uninformed opinions, and you’re shutting us out? Just like that?
Who do I write to to complain?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

A few years ago i bought a pair of Corbeau seats for my Mustang GT. Although the workmanship is likely not up to Recaro standards they were of very good quality and the price was terrific. I ordered direct from Corbeau in Utah and the salesman was very good to deal with, offered informed opinions, and even gave me a sizeable break on shipping.

The support and adjustments suited me perfectly and they looked great too. When I sold the 'Stang I kept the seats. One is my office chair and the other is part of my sim-racing rig and they've held up well, still look new.

I would not hesitate to consider Corbeau if they offer a suitable style.
horsewidower and chairmankaga like this.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Only Ďexperienced opinionsí ?
Thatís not fair, there are lots of us out here with tons of uninformed opinions, and youíre shutting us out? Just like that?
Who do I write to to complain?

Thanks, you win first belly laugh of the day.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I was looking for an inexpensive seat for my Super during the restoration and found a sport seat at Jegs for about $300. It looks nice and seems well made, but it hasnít had much use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
horsewidower likes this.

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode