Leather upholstery kit - 1984 GTV6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Calguy 17
  • 3 Post By Calguy 17
  • 1 Post By AlfaHaze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Leather upholstery kit - 1984 GTV6

I love my 84 GTV-6 (3 liter transplant) and while resale values may not warrant it, I plan to drive this car a long time and cannot live with the full thickness holes on the lateral seat bolsters on the driver's side. The thinning leather elsewhere is a bit beyond a tolerable "patina" too. Problem is that I live near Portland, Oregon and have been on a waiting list of the most respected shop in that city for 2 years with no sign of a break-through any time soon. World Upholstery & Trim has a kit for this car but I'm looking for anyone who might have experience with that firm and can give me feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Surely there are other respectable upholstery shops in your neck of the woods you can turn to. I've never bought WU's seat covers, but in 2014 they gave us a price of just over $800 for covers for the front seats on my son's GTV 6. They also color-matched the spray dye for the door panels, and matched it spot on. They were responsive and pleasant to deal with. But you're going to need foam replacement also, it sounds like. You need a good professional shop, from your description.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
I used World Upholstery 2 yrs ago to make the leather seats front and back on my 1976 Alfetta GT. Turned out great. I suggest professional installation. I stopped in to their location in Santa Paula, California before ordering and was impressed with the quality of the operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Their prices have gone up substantially. A pair of front covers in leather or original color-specific Italian vinyl is now $1,200, and American vinyl (whatever that is) costs about $700. Rear seats are $1,300 and $750 for the same options. Still cheaper than any of the local upholstery shops I've talked to want, and by a fair margin.
Mr. Fiat sells vinyl kits too. Those are the ones that turn up on eBay.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:25 PM

They are not cheap in pricing........ 2 years ago I got Italian leather....front and back for $1900.00. The quality is excellent. My 1976 Alfetta GT came with the dark grey mouse fur velour fabric that fell apart after a few years. The seat foam held up well as the car was always garaged. Don't take their first price ....they will deal if you push them....They know they are the only game in town at the moment.......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguy 17 View Post
They are not cheap in pricing........ 2 years ago I got Italian leather....front and back for $1900.00. The quality is excellent. My 1976 Alfetta GT came with the dark grey mouse fur velour fabric that fell apart after a few years. The seat foam held up well as the car was always garaged. Don't take their first price ....they will deal if you push them....They know they are the only game in town at the moment.......
Can we have pictures? I am on the waiting list for our local upholsterer (a mere three months wait) here in the UK. I have a 1975 Alfetta GT, with 'natural' vinyl seats. I also was told that the material was inherently good, but became ripped due to the foam giving way. I think the 105 foam bases will fit, or rather I am hoping they will. It is really difficult to find an upholsterer that leaves decent looking seats without ripples and bulges in. If World Upholstery has a set of proven matching seat covers, well that would certainly interest me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Are you waiting for Guys? If so I have also heard great thing about Beaverton Auto Upholstery, and Insane Interiors south of Portland somewhere.

Where near Portland are you based? Maybe we will cross paths at a tour someday.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM

World Upholstery are true professionals and have been in business for many years. They also have a directory of recognized installers on their website, you may be able to find one in your area.

Nick '79 Alfetta Sport Sedan, '83 GTV6
"Even a blind squirrel bumps into a nut once in a while"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:16 PM

For what you pay, World Upholstery does a great job. They also have excellent quality vinyl for a reasonable price. I chose Italian black leather. It is actually a very dark grey but looks good. The aroma and look of leather is worth the price. As I said before, I stopped by their biz in Santa Paula, California and was impressed. Some pix here.
Attached Images

alfaloco, Renaldo and AlfaHaze like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM

OOOo you still have the polyurethane door cards. I have two sets of these, and they have both sort of shrunk and warped. I also have inertia reel belts fitted, which was not standard on this year car. It is nice to see another series one Alfetta GT, and in blue as well! Is the A/C console a retrofit?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM

Yes Haze...Thanks..... all original except for new upholstery and wheels. A.C. was a dealer add on. 1t is 76 model bought new in Oakland, California in 1977. Bay Area Dealers had a promotion for $7700.00 plus A.C. It was between this and the new Porsche 924....not an easy decision.....I had many warranty issues....Alfa had lots of problems with the early Alfettas. The original factory enamel paint has held up well....Always garaged.....still love the car and mileage just turned 90K.
Attached Images

ghnl, NMMilano and AlfaHaze like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

I had one Alfetta with the rubberized black door cards. IIRC those door cards weigh a ton compared to the normal vinyl/leatherette covered cards.

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Original paint! OMG, it looks like new. Mine has been painted at least three times, the previous was Cellulose, and the current is Acrylic. Here is mine for comparison, it is a 1975MY.
Attached Images

Calguy 17 likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 PM

Looks great !!!! and same colour. USA models had the large clunky bumpers. Because of smog laws Spica fuel injection was required for California cars in 1976.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode