Reliving my teenage years with 1976 Alfetta GT project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Reliving my teenage years with 1976 Alfetta GT project

Hi everyone.
Been absent for a long long time now and coming back to playing with the cars.

A few days ago the wife gave me the nod to buy this GT before we'd even looked at it, so naturally it come home with me.

It's had a lot done to it over the years. 2lt conversion, stitch welded chassis, battery relocation, spare wheel tub removed, 28mm torsion bars, adjustable konis, hi compression pistons, 10.1mm/300 degree cams, electronic ignition, double front brembos and lots of other stuff.

But it comes with a fair few problems to fix up. So I'll try to keep it all to one thread to document it all.

First stop is the starter. Really loud, inconsistent and grindy. It doesn't struggle to actually start, it seems to struggle to catch the gears. Once it turns over a fraction the car starts instantly.

The engine is suspected to come from a spider. Engine number AR00512*70316*

The starter motor is unknown to me too and the last owner didn't know anything about it. Just that it's noisy.
Part number 1005 821 071

Does anyone know if these 2 are a miss match?
I've got picture of the ring gear too, doesn't look chewed out too badly?

I only have a phone to browse the internet and my google searching isn't really giving me the answers i'd like or understand. Part of the project will be getting a laptop working smoothly again haha.
Attached Images

Message me if any of my pictures are down and you would like them. Send me the topic link and I'll reupload them properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

So from this page;
http://www.veloce.se/ENGINE2.HTM

I believe I have a 1971-1975 2lt.

And the part number of the starter motor seems to be from a late 80's spider, which in another thread elsewhere on the BB someone mentioned that it wont turn an older 2lt over even though it does bolt up.

So, obtain another starter motor seems like the next move. Just need to figure out which one... Guess I need to figure out which flywheel I have...

While in there, I've noticed I need to deal with the rubber mounts for the Dellorto's which are surprisingly still attached. The Google browsing seems like there are a total of zero good options from solid mounts causing problems to the new rubber mounts not lasting a few years if they even fit correctly and seal.

Any current leads to good rubber mounts?

More pictures too. Nice Momo prototipo in need of a little love soon. Couldn't get a more perfect wheel for the car imo.
I love the Momo wheels too. Because of recent replica 20" Momo stars in Australia being a really popular thing, I can source replacement centre cap and nut for the one missing.

Interior was retrimmed at some stage. I like it, just needs carpet and dash cracks fixed and it's finished. Vacuumed up really well. Carpet looks more faded/red in photos that actually is.
Attached Images

Message me if any of my pictures are down and you would like them. Send me the topic link and I'll reupload them properly.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Nice looking Alfetta.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Alfetta gt

Welcome back to the fold. I hope you will be joining AROCA vic and we will see this car on the track.
You need to count the teeth on the flywheel to see if its the 2lt or 1.8lt flywheel then match the starter to that.
You want rubber carb mounts. Regardless of what anyone says. For some reason the ones we have been fitting come with loose studs that need to be tightened before installation otherwise they give no problems.
Get a copy of the club magazine for contacts.
Im at a workshop in Melbournes north east. Private message me if you want my contact. Where always happy to help another Alfa owner.
Aggie57 likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:07 AM

Glad she found a good home. Looks like good bones on her, the front inner guards look good from your photo and that’s always a real plus with these cars. Have fun!

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
Welcome back to the fold. I hope you will be joining AROCA vic and we will see this car on the track.
You need to count the teeth on the flywheel to see if it’s the 2lt or 1.8lt flywheel then match the starter to that.
You want rubber carb mounts. Regardless of what anyone says. For some reason the ones we have been fitting come with loose studs that need to be tightened before installation otherwise they give no problems.
I plan to join the club this month, just gotta get around to doing it. Then between this and my 75 3lt I want to get both to the track.
The car needs a rear main so likely I'll pull the engine before roadworthy, unless it needs doughnuts then I'll do it from below.
Will send you a pm, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Glad she found a good home. Looks like good bones on her, the front inner guards look good from your photo and that’s always a real plus with these cars. Have fun!
We didn't find any structural rust going over it, and having dealt with a lot of it on my original gtv and then even more on dad's we had pretty good ideas of what to look for. That and the fact it was driving sold the car for me.
It has rust though, and the paint is shot, way too far gone for just cleaning up where required. Underneath isn't pretty, lots of gravel rash surface rust and oil. Receipts do have the car described as a rally car in the engineers report for the front brake upgrade.

So I'll get the removable panels blasted and painted and just do sections of the body at a time back to bare metal. Clean it back and get a protective coat on. Not fussed about having it pretty or blended, just smooth. Will keep the blue when I paint bits, but likely to keep the consistent colour all over, I'll turn my hand to wrapping it blue.
But that's a long way off yet.
Running and registered first.

Picture of my first gtv. Dad and I did that up between the ages of 14 and 18. ~2 weeks after getting my licence I got rear ended by a drunk Friday knock off beers tradie.

Paint looks like crows feet of the apocalyptic type. But it's not all over. The roof is the worst section.

I'll need more work done and photos for more posts haha
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:11 PM

alfetta gt

PM sent.

Donuts or not your going to have to pull the tail shaft.
Removing the bell housing in the car is a pain as well so your much better to pull the engine. If your handy on the spanners its a really simple engine to remove.
You have a hoist?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
PM sent.

Donuts or not your going to have to pull the tail shaft.
Removing the bell housing in the car is a pain as well so your much better to pull the engine. If your handy on the spanners its a really simple engine to remove.
You have a hoist?
I thought I remember pulling the engine without the shaft back in my teens... Oh well.
No hoist, old fashioned way as I've always done. Note the 75 in garage waiting to do the the centre support... Eventually after the basics on this I'll go back to that being priority for rego.

Went to the PO to pick up the last few bits. Rear blue bumper and explodo front zender. Also some wheel spacers and a Momo wheel thread for the missing centre cap.

Pulled the fuel pump out too, which had a drip every 5 seconds. Easily sourcing another, ECCO brand, so will just replace it.
Attached Images

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Looks great!!! the color and wheels do look pretty nice on this car
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

So dad pulled his starter out of the 1982 GTV and brought it over. Fitted up and cranks perfectly!

So Bosch part number 0 001 311 131 is what he has. Research on Google is showing the following numbers to all be interchangeable, which is backed up by double checking the Bosch part number search;
0 001 311 110 (update 25/08/2019, doesn't work, grinds worse)
0 001 311 111
0 001 108 024

So hopefully, the GTV we're picking up next week has a suitable starter motor on it I can pinch.

Last edited by jazig.k; 08-25-2019 at 03:14 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Are the gauges placed differently for the OZ market? I've had a series of Alfetta GTs (Sprint Veloces) and the Tachometer was always front and center, with the speedo placed in the center cluster. Perhaps a previous owner made the swap?

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
It's very very blue - I like it.

If it were me, I'd leave off the big valance nose cap and go with the clean front look with the lip spoilers. Maybe even paint them black. And no back bumper, or get it back to chrome.

Good luck!

1967 1600 Spider
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Alfetta gt

Aus delivered alfetta gt/gtv (pre 1982) had the speedometer front and centre.
Renaldo likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Yeah...there were (still are) a few funny’s ADRs (Australian design rules) out there which meant manufacturers had to do silly things to get their cars sold here. Many couldn’t justify the expense for a relatively small market and didn’t bother.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

I think I’ve seen the front tachometer before years ago, but in aus as mentioned, they’re standard with speedo in front.

The car is blue haha, and luckily I like it that way. A few extra bits might cop a bit of black one day.
On the ADR requirements, I’ll have to use bumpers. Ideally I’m wanting to find another front chrome one rather than repair the exploded one. I do like the rear better with the blue bar though, it doesn’t stand out so much as chrome does.

I pulled the fuel tank today, expecting to coat the inside of it. Seems to already have a coating in it. A metallic silver hard paint coating. No idea what it is. So I’ll only have to coat the outside of it with bed liner or stone guard to fix the stone rashed, surface rusted bottom. And test the sender unit to chase a non functional gauge.

Also, I’ve realised that I never had the shoulder bolt with my starter. Could that be the reason why the first starter has misaligned far enough to just clip the top of the gear teeth? What are the symptoms of using the wrong bolt?
It seems odd that someone put the wrong starter in it and that it always made that noise (which I’ll ask the PO about this week to see about the history).

And I pulled the whole boot apart because it’s all got wet with rain leaking in though the lenses. If you notice the left side taillights look warped, you’re not seeing things. They’re quite badly wrapped, like maybe the car sat too close to the pot belly fire in the shed once. I have a box of spares from my teenage years luckily. So a little swapping around the best of and some better gaskets are in order this week.

Thanks the input everyone, appreciate the interest and help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode