1986 gtv6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaparticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

1986 gtv6

Hi. Recently acquired a really nice gtv6 1986.
The only thing i don't find working properly is the oil gauge.
When you turn on it moves to full, but as soon as the engine is running, it goes back to 0
Any advise?
Thanks in advance.
Also looking for gas cap with key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Firstly - what about some photos? We like photos.

Regarding the oil pressure gauge, normally grounding the sender wire (the one attached to the sender on the block) with the ignition switch 'on' would send the gauge needle to max. Thus, I'd wonder if perhaps the sender wire is grounded somewhere along it path. What happens if you remove the wire from the sender, prevent the end from touching any bare metal and switch on the ignition? Second thought is you have the wrong sender. My understanding is there are two basic types - and they work the opposite of each other.

As for the gas cap - browse eBay and the for sale section here. But be prepared - good ones are not cheap. An alternate is a generic cap - non-locking and it doesn't fill the opening in the body like the original but it will otherwise fit the gas filler neck.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The GTV6 oil pressure sender is on top of the block at the rear of the V. As Eric suggests, check the wire that attaches to the top of the sender. AFAIK there was only one type that was used on GTV6's and Milano's.
jubrele likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.
I though so. Is the sender a yellow part on top of the block? If it is there is nothing connected to it. I still don't have enough pics. Will post soon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 AM

Look at the oil sender at the back of the V. No dismantling required. If there its a pool of oil in the V around the sender, your sender is probably leaking.

My gage showed a healthy oil pressure when started from cold, and after warming up would fall to zero and would only move a little at higher rpm. It seems the joint between the body of the sender and its fitting would open up with heat.

A new sender cured the problem.

Still, this left me wanting to install an oil pressure light. There must be a plug somewhere connected to a pressure gallery?

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Look for a loose wire in a black plastic sheath in the vicinity of the sender. That will be the one that must be attached to the sender.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I just went thru this same problem..sender is notorious for being unreliable..just to be safe, I checked things with a real mechanical gauge and then replaced the sender
all the best
chuck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Yes. About 20 years ago I burned my cam shaft (half rings) on my 75/milano tropheo. Apparently the oil pump is very good. It actually pulls the oil all the way up the head leaving the Carter almost empty. This happened on a 100 mile journey when I did about 50 miles flooring it. So when the oil level is close to mid, be very careful.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Garage
New old stock

Original OEM, brand new w/ two keys $250 shipped continental us
Attached Images

79 Alfetta - Sprint Veloce - Bronze
79 Alfetta - Sport Sedan - White
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
That gas cap is hens tooth piece, brand new to boot. Tempted to spend money just to have an extra one! I think the Alfetta/GTV6 gas cap is such a cool piece to just pick up (heavy!) and look at, from a time in automotive history when making a cool gas cap was a priority design component and totally unique to just one car. I guess headlights have gone the opposite direction, that’s another story as well...

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI

Tags
gtv6 1986

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode