While I have the interior ripped out... recovering the seats question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

While I have the interior ripped out... recovering the seats question

Yep. I ripped out the interior and am in the process of first laying down some honest to goodness thermal insulation (equivalent of Dynaliner but cheaper, because this ain't a Ferrari, after all) before replacing my AC evaporator and getting that system running again.

I have an 82 car, with the ubiquitous (for that year, anyway) silver on blue. My seats are from an '84, but are trashed. For years I've wanted to recover them, and now it seems finding pre-fabricated seat covers in a blue that is even close to original is next to impossible. Having them made from scratch is out of the question at more than $1k per seat.

However I can find complete tan or black seat cover kits all day every day, and for about half the price of the blue sets.

I know it's possible to dye vinyl to match existing interior colors with satisfactory results, with the tan kit being the better candidate, but I'm wondering at this point if it might not be easier to just change over the interior color. The plastic and vinyl bits like the dash, console, and door cards can be painted black, and I already have a lead on black carpet (with floor mats) locally.

I dunno. The blue is funky and unique, but I'm tempted to do this, rather than spend more than $2k on blue covers or attempt to dye a new tan kit in a shade that only somewhat matches the original.

What have ya'll done?

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 PM

Surprised being in Texas you can't find someone to do it cheaper. I had my seats reupholstered for less than half you got quoted for. Find a different shop.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I would convert it all to black. Silver over black is a great and classic color combo. That blue is "meh" in my opinion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triz View Post
Surprised being in Texas you can't find someone to do it cheaper. I had my seats reupholstered for less than half you got quoted for. Find a different shop.
I went to a few different shops and the quotes were all pretty similar. The variables tended to be material, color, and stitching. The cheapest quote I've gotten was $800 for each front seat and $600 for the rear, but I wasn't in love with the quality of the materials they were using or the workmanship. The most highly recommended shop wanted $2800 for the whole job.

They all said the same thing about it - the complexity of the pattern, the French stitch, and the way it's all installed on the frame (requires a LOT of somewhat tedious dis/reassembly) are the bulk of the cost. Even buying pre-fabricated covers, I'm still looking at 8 hours/$500+ to have them tailored and installed, but even then it's about half of having custom-made covers done (locally)

I think I made a mistake swapping my original old-style GTV seats for the newer Recaro-style seats. The old ones are far simpler.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6

Last edited by chairmankaga; 06-06-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM

I have used the aerosol dyes for both vinyl and carpeting with great success in several colors. I bought mine from World Upholstery in Santa Paula, CA. Have to be shipped via non-USPS, though.

Nick '79 Alfetta Sport Sedan, '83 GTV6
"Even a blind squirrel bumps into a nut once in a while"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode