GTV6 Heater Valve Options - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

GTV6 Heater Valve Options

I have been searching for a replacement heater valve for my GTV6. I came across one at "Afra-Classic Alfa Parts near Milan. See below for a photo of part number 60728100. It appears to be generally correct but is missing the coil for the air conditioner control. Has anyone tried one of these?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
What does the Air Conditioner Control Coil do?

I replaced the heater valve in our GTV6 with one from a Jaguar. It doesn't have such an A/C coil.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM

Garage
If you say that this replacement valve is missing a "coil" for the A/C control, that indicates to me that you have a late year '84 to '86 GTV 6 with the Tropic Air system. That system uses a different heater valve that has a thermocouple probe (coiled probe) that lays on the evaporator surface, to detect icing on the evaporator coil. If icing or freeze up starts to occur, then this probe will slightly open the heater valve, allowing a bit of warmed air from the heater core to melt the ice before it totally clogs up the evaporator.

I'm not an experienced A/C guy, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn express last night, but I did thoroughly study that entire Tropic Air HVAC system while my son and I restored his '86 GTV 6. I suppose you could just go with the standard valve as shown, and avoid running your AC very long at max cooling to avoid freeze-up. That's what Mike does with his, keeping the temp control knob at about the 5:00 position, and it works very well.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
Isn't Aspen's climate arid?

If so, there should be no need for the AC probe.

Leave the temp control a bit below the coldest setting as Alfaloco suggested and fan speed high.

78 Spider, Webers, header, Shankle cams, bumperless, lowered, Konis
78 Sport Sedan, header, Spica
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Out of curiosity... what were they asking for their new one?

Peter
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 AM

Will this work on an Alfetta?

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
Will this work on an Alfetta?
Will what work?

The valve? Or the method of use I outlined above.

Here's something for ya.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/hva...-part-1-a.html

78 Spider, Webers, header, Shankle cams, bumperless, lowered, Konis
78 Sport Sedan, header, Spica

Last edited by slowcreek; 05-21-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 AM

You can also use the (all metal) valve for a Jag XKE, although you lose the full range of the control lever as the new valve has a shorter throw. However I figure you could modify the fulcrum point of the lever to adjust the length of the throw.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Price for the valve from "Afra" is 88 Euros or about $98 US. That's significantly more than the Jaguar all metal valve which I used on another GTV6. As suggested in reference to the Jaguar valve, you end up with a shorter throw and use only about 60% of the range on the control end of the cable. Also the cable position takes some fiddling to allow it to slide smoothly and it's never quite right. However, you can pick up one the all metal Jaguar valves relatively inexpensively on E Bay.

On the A/C end of things, I probably am not concerned about the freeze up issue with the driving I do which is primarily in areas with low humidity. At 8000 ft elevation it rarely gets to the upper 80's (F) here and when it does you just deal with it. After looking at the various posts from the past I think I will give this valve a try and when I get it in the car I'll let you know how it went. We do get frost as early as September and as late as June so having a heater is a safety issue more than just comfort. Note that today is May 21st and we have 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground while the GTV6 waits for nicer weather to get out and about.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Will what work?

The valve?
Yes, the valve.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 AM

I am also running the Jag valve, but opt for the slightly more expensive one, I bought the cheaper one and when I was tightening the valve against the o-ring on the heater core, one ear of the valve snapped off, it may have been a one off issue, but the anger and frustration just is not worth having to order another one and start again.

'86 GTV6 - No Name
'88 Verde w/no sunroof - Bella
'89 Spider Quad - Red
'86 Spider Quad - Silver - SOLD
'89 RC30
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Assuming it is the internal diaphragm that has failed...you can buy replacements for these.
Fiddly to dismantle the valve unit coz of the riveted construction, but very do-able.
That way, you don't have to make any changes or suffer from design differences.
From what I see in pictures of these valve varieties, the layout changes, but the basic operating system, and therefore diaphragm under it, is the same. If you are worried about such things, including losing the A/C coil, this is probably worth a go.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Usually it's the plastic housing that fails on the stock heater valve. At this point in their lives, just a stern look is enough to cause a failure.

One thing to think about - if you have the Tropic Aire add on to the AC system, the Jag valve may not fit. With the TA addition, there's not much room to work with.

-Chuck
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thats an Alfetta valve and possibly the GTV-6 valve without a/c.

The GTV-6 valves with a/c are much different.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks, Jim.

Stefano
Concord, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode