Alright y'all, I'm tackling A/C for real this time - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Alright y'all, I'm tackling A/C for real this time

I have all of the parts, many installed. I'm also switching over to R-134, since everything is essentially new.

New rotary compressor on a Milano bracket with clean, fresh PAG oil. Check.
New belt. Check.
New parallel flow condenser. Check.
New barrier hoses and fittings. Check.
Variety pack of BUNA O-rings. Check.
Dryer (from a SAAB, but whatever) and switch. Check.

I still have to replace the expansion valve, but apparently that can be a generic off the shelf part. I'm also sticking with the stock evaporator and blower, although if anyone has a suggestion for a alternative, beefed up blower I'm all ears. Plenty of salvage yards around. I'd love to get a VintageAir system but at the moment it's simply out of budget.

My neighbor has a manifold set and vacuum pump. I've watched a million videos on checking for leaks and said neighbor also has some experience with recharging AC systems.

If I get stuck or stymied I do have a pro place I can take it, but I really want to try tackling this totally DIY before I pay someone.

Any final advice or suggestions? I think I might want to try hooking up the eyeballs as the primary vents and maybe block the stock vents, mostly because I find even if the system is underpowered getting cold air on your head has a psychological effect (I've lived in the South my entire life, so I know this is a thing). Pros/cons?

FYI I attempted this a couple of years ago and encountered a leak I couldn't plug, so I threw in the towel, but vowing to return to the job. Turns out the high pressure hose to manifold gauges had a cut in it, as I learned last week. New hose procured and I'm now jazzed to face my nemesis.
sidewaysalfa and horsewidower like this.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'll be very interested to see how this goes.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Must change the evaporator! The stuff is all American. Surprised you didn't change it when you converted to R134?.
If you had the the system charged by a shop they would of done a leak test before the put in the R134 and changed your evaporator.
It's a must.
CHANGE IT!! It's not a OEM part and won't hurt the value!
Rockauto any parts or AC store. Got mine on Amazon and it looked like the original, but shiner.

If the blower motor is rattling, got an easy fix for that. Just PM me or post it.

Happy Monday!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

Last edited by alfasrule; 05-13-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 PM

If your GTV6 is pre-1985, you probably don't have the Tropic-Aire upgrade version that came on the later models. Mostly add-on goodies vs swapping out components. It involves replacing the package shelf under the glove box with a second A/C evaporator with it's own fan. A plastic plenum gets fastened under the central A/C/heater console. This directs cold air from the second A/C box to BOTH eyeball vents at the ends of the dash. So, you end up with cold air from 6 vents (if you include the 2 for defrost). Gives you a double shot without eliminating your original unit.

If you aren't satisfied with your end results, I have an extra set of the add-on bits to offer. And can explain the process with pix, if needed.

Cheers,
Peter
chairmankaga likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Must change the evaporator! The stuff is all American. Surprised you didn't change it when you converted to R134?.
If you had the the system charged by a shop they would of done a leak test before the put in the R134 and changed your evaporator.
It's a must.
CHANGE IT!! It's not a OEM part and won't hurt the value!
Rockauto any parts or AC store. Got mine on Amazon and it looked like the original, but shiner.

If the blower motor is rattling, got an easy fix for that. Just PM me or post it.

Happy Monday!
Well, I haven't changed it because I've yet to get into there. The system has been no-functional since I bought the car a decade ago. I've bought some bits over the years but have never actually charged it, even with the new compressor installed. But I'll definitely look into replacing the evap unit. I was just under the impression that the evaporator was not a generic component, and replacing it basically meant replacing the entire in-car system, including controls, housing, etc (like a VintageAir rig).

'82 GTV6
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

The evaporator is contained in the box under the middle of the dash. When you split it, you'll find the evaporator coil (In my GTV6 thread I've got it all laid out). Just replace the coil unit. My bet is that you'll need to find a universal of the same size, and may need to solder in the correct ends. At the very least, you could take it to a radiator shop and have them test and repair it if it has any leaks.

Peter! That explains the plenum on the bottom of the box. Mine was not connected to anything and I wondered about it.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Blower motor replacement

There is a better replacement for the blower motor. Internal resistors, so no flame starter resistor board, and it is bigger and turns faster.
Mine is a NLA Frigette 209-101, BUT it cross references to several others so it must be a common motor. The OEM motor is undersized so Alfa made thick rubber spacers to make it fit. I replaced them with some rubber sheet and the new motor fits perfectly. Been running 10 years so far. A little creativity with the motor wiring from the 3 position switch is required.

Evaporator and coils: So now somebody tells me!! 10 years ago I had mine exposed to replace the blower motor!! Maybe this summer . . . .
chairmankaga likes this.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysalfa View Post
Mine is a NLA Frigette 209-101, BUT it cross references to several others so it must be a common motor.
This guy here?
https://www.ebay.com/i/292816090178?chn=ps
sidewaysalfa likes this.

'82 GTV6
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm also curious how this goes - please keep us posted. I'll be re-doing my system soon. I got this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Re...95004540&psc=1

and found it really helpful in understanding A/C systems.

good luck,
Joe

Joe
84 GTV6 | 95 M3 NASA/BMWCCA race car
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe149 View Post
I'm also curious how this goes - please keep us posted. I'll be re-doing my system soon. I got this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Re...95004540&psc=1

and found it really helpful in understanding A/C systems.

good luck,
Joe
Luckily our public library system offers loads of auto repair books as digital loans. I'll look for this one!

'82 GTV6
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for that reference, I ordered it.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Peter! That explains the plenum on the bottom of the box. Mine was not connected to anything and I wondered about it.
That suggests that your GTV6 is an '85 or '86 model, unless a conversion was done later. As the Tropic-Aire units had a couple of minor modifications involved, you may already have the two black plastic block off plates on the interior side of the firewall at both sides. Earlier models got their fresh outside air from those firewall ports directly to the two eye ball vents via snorkels that slid over the back of the eye balls. If you still have the accordion flex hoses attached to your plenum, the hose on the driver's side connects the eye ball vent to the plenum. The hose on the P-side goes from the center plenum to the secondary A/C box. A third short flex hose goes straight up from the box to the P-side eye ball vent.

The rubber Freon hoses under the hood should have a union spliced in to feed the (missing) A/C box under the glove box. So you may have most of the components needed to became a T-A system. Including the switch and detail bits to get the 2nd box to turn on with the main fan in the center console. If you want to e-mail me, I can send pix to show what the secondary T-A box looks like. You may have that hanging around if you knew what to look for.

Cheers, Peter
[email protected]
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmojo2 View Post
That suggests that your GTV6 is an '85 or '86 model, unless a conversion was done later. As the Tropic-Aire units had a couple of minor modifications involved, you may already have the two black plastic block off plates on the interior side of the firewall at both sides. Earlier models got their fresh outside air from those firewall ports directly to the two eye ball vents via snorkels that slid over the back of the eye balls. If you still have the accordion flex hoses attached to your plenum, the hose on the driver's side connects the eye ball vent to the plenum. The hose on the P-side goes from the center plenum to the secondary A/C box. A third short flex hose goes straight up from the box to the P-side eye ball vent.

The rubber Freon hoses under the hood should have a union spliced in to feed the (missing) A/C box under the glove box. So you may have most of the components needed to became a T-A system. Including the switch and detail bits to get the 2nd box to turn on with the main fan in the center console. If you want to e-mail me, I can send pix to show what the secondary T-A box looks like. You may have that hanging around if you knew what to look for.

Cheers, Peter
[email protected]
Yep, mine is an '84 Maratona, has all those things. Thanks!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Chairman - I'm going down a similar route as you. I had the Tropic-Aire add on, but pulled it as I didn't get much benefit (read airflow) from it. Others get okay performance from their's so maybe I had some other issue.

One thing not on your list that you really should add is a fan for the condenser. The radiator fans don't really get much air moving through the condenser, so if you aren't moving, the condenser isn't working very well.

I'm replacing the hoses on my AC and found that the gasket in the firewall had hardened too much to allow me to attach the hoses to the fittings. If things go well this weekend, I'll post some pics of what I did to address this.

I didn't replace the stock fan or evaporator, as I am planning to replace the unit with an aftermarket unit in the next year or so. I did give the evaporator and heater coils a thorough cleaning with some AC coil cleaner from Lowe's. I was amazed at how much gunk came out. Not to mention the amount of leaves and other stuff that was in the AC housing - both the central unit and the TA one.
horsewidower and chairmankaga like this.

-Chuck
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have an 84 GTV6 with 'weak' A/C. I purchased from another BB member many years ago all the extra parts needed for the Tropic Air upgrade. Never implemented that solution, and in the intervening years have thought about 'blowing it all up' and going with aftermarket AC - either Vintage Air (most mentioned) or Restomod (more unique control/vent solutions along with main unit). I'm leaning towards Restomod...

That said I have all this Tropic Air h/w that would certainly benefit someone in this community... PM me if interested...

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode