GTV6s (and a Milano Verde) at Coastal Range Rally 2019 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes
  • 5 Post By cda951
  • 1 Post By alfaparticle
  • 1 Post By Jack Straw
  • 1 Post By cda951
  • 1 Post By peakay
  • 1 Post By DOM!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

GTV6s (and a Milano Verde) at Coastal Range Rally 2019

The annual Coastal range Rally was held this past weekend, and there were no less than three transaxle V6 Alfas present!

Here is some more info about this rally:

Rally ? DWA!

It is "curated" in that the cars and drivers are hand-picked by the organizers, but it is generally a younger (mostly 30- or 40-something) group of guys than at most such rallies, and the variety of cars is impressive. Besides the usual sports car rally fixtures like Porsche 911s and BMW 02s and Datsun 240Zs, there were turbocharged '80s and '90s FWD VW hatchbacks, Porsche 944s, modified 240-series Volvos (one with a Chevy LS engine swap), Honda S2000s, an Acura NSX, Fox-body Mustang, a Shelby Cobra replica, several BMW E30s, a Peugeot 405 Mi16, and even a German-market Ford Consul GT!

I brought my junkyard special turned Lemons Rally car turned daily driver '81 GTV6 (with stock suspension and brakes), another participant brought a beautiful '82 Balocco with a stock engine but a lot of suspension and brake modifications, and none other than Paul Mitchell (of the European Car magazine Project GTV6 series) was there with his pristine Milano Verde. Other notable Italians were a Lamborghini Jarama and a Ferrari 308 GT4.

We gathered in Palmdale on Friday morning and took off through the California high desert and hit Angeles Forest Hwy, Big Tujunga Canyon Rd, Little Tujunga Cayon Rd, and Soledad Canyon Rd on the way to a lunch stop in Agua Dulce. Then more excellent roads with a "Canyon" suffix (Vasquez, Bouquet, Spunky, and San Francisquito) before hitting Lake Elizabeth and Lake Hughes. We stayed overnight in Ventura, which is familiar to me and has good restaurants and breweries---plus one of the participants sets up a "car bar" in the trunk of his BMW E30 in the hotel parking lot each night!

On Saturday morning we hit the always-excellent Highway 33, and then Lockwood Valley Road, which I had never driven before. It was fairly bumpy and had dips and potholes, but was quite fun with all of its undulations and water crossings. After passing through Pine Mountain Club and heading west towards CA-166, perhaps the most perfect GTV6 road of all time revealed itself: CA Forest Highway 95, also known as Hudson Ranch Road. Mile after mile of sweeping, banked turns and switchbacks, all 3rd and 4th gear, amazing vistas, relatively smooth pavement. What a road! I had a bit too much fun with the tiny stock brakes and had to re-bleed them at the lunch stop in Taft (fluid was changed with fresh ATE TYP 200 right before the event). Otherwise the car was perfect and drove fantastically well. And averaged over 20 MPG while being driven very hard!

Saturday afternoon saw amazing views of the green hills (thanks to abundant winter rainfall in Southern/Central CA after years of drought) and wildflower blooms. A trek down a 6-mile dirt road afforded excellent views of Soda Lake before hitting Hwy 58, and one of the best (albeit short) driving roads in CA, Hwy 229, before heading to the evening stop in Paso Robles (excellent food, wine, and beer).

Sunday was a half-day of driving to a final lunch stop in Parkfield. Nacimiento Lake Rd and Interlake Rd are always excellent, and after an impromptu GTV6 drag race at the intersections of CA 25 and CA 198 to determine the difference between early and later rear end gearing (will post the video soon), we drove 198 (amazing) to Parkfield Grade. This is a steep mountain climb on a very narrow and twisty road, with the backside descent being all dirt and gravel, with the possibility of roaming cattle (Figueroa Mountain in the Santa Ynez Valley is similar). My GTV6's magnesium sump stayed intact, though the center muffler was bashed a number of times!

Anyway, it was an epic weekend with amazing roads and cars and even more amazing people. Both GTV6s were flawless during the rally (save for mine needing the brake bleed), and the Milano only needed a repair to a dirty connection at the fuel pump relay (I had a spare relay in my glovebox just in case).

Enjoy the pics, and I hope some of you can find and enjoy some of the roads mentioned above!
Attached Images

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

A great way to spend a weekend.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the nice write up on the Coastal Range run. I was raised in Southern California and know all the roads you mentioned. Much of my wheel time from the mid sixties through the eighties was spent on those mouth-watering routes.

I was active in the BMW Club in San Diego back then and organized a couple of runs up to Ventura via back roads. I called them "Demon Drives" and I'll never forget the reaction of some of the guys to those roads, especially Cerro Noroeste.
cda951 likes this.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Cool description, the rally sounds like a blast! Good to see three T/A Alfas out there... along with a Scirocco! (was my 1st car in HS). I spied a v2 CTS in the crowd as well... kinda of a newer car. I miss not having my 84 GTV6 out on the road and hope that maybe by next spring/summer can enjoy some Alfa driving!

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
Cool description, the rally sounds like a blast! Good to see three T/A Alfas out there... along with a Scirocco! (was my 1st car in HS). I spied a v2 CTS in the crowd as well... kinda of a newer car. I miss not having my 84 GTV6 out on the road and hope that maybe by next spring/summer can enjoy some Alfa driving!
Thanks, it was a great rally. The organizers do let in some newer cars---there was a Porsche 991TT and 997GTS, for example---but they purposely limit that. Something like a GTV6 or Scirocco has a much better chance of making the cut!
Renaldo likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the update - looks like to much fun. Please post next year when the entries open and I'll add an Alfetta to the mix.

If anyone in Southern Cal is interested in a similar drive but as a day trip, let me know. I get some guys together periodically and assault the local mountain canyon roads.
cda951 likes this.

1978 Alfetta Sport Sedan | 1985 GTV Lemons Racer
Instagram: Alfaddiction
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DOM!
Let's not forget that the GTV6 and the Scirocco 1 had the same designer. I am really sad that when I had ownership of both I never got a picture of them together. I still have the GTV6.. Still miss the Scirocco..

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renaldo likes this.

DOM! 1987 Milano Verde 1983 GTV6
2017 VW GTI SE 2003 Ducati 999 1992 BMW K1100RS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM! View Post
Let's not forget that the GTV6 and the Scirocco 1 had the same designer. I am really sad that when I had ownership of both I never got a picture of them together. I still have the GTV6.. Still miss the Scirocco..

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Audi Coupe in the same pic was also designed by Giugiaro.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DOM!
Huh, that I did not know. Yet another car of his that I like then!

Dom

DOM! 1987 Milano Verde 1983 GTV6
2017 VW GTI SE 2003 Ducati 999 1992 BMW K1100RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode