Where to find GTV6 speedo sender - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Where to find GTV6 speedo sender

The speedometer in my GTV6 usually doesn't work but every so often for a few thrilling minutes, it works normally. I swapped speedos to another one and it seems to work with the same rarity. My assumption is that it's the sender at the transaxle. Where can I get one of those?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Assuming that you have the original transaxle in the car (not a Milano swap), there are two different types of senders that are not interchangeable. Early type has a gear drive that interfaces with a gear on a shaft in the transaxle (model year up to 85.5). The late type has an inductive pickup that reads teeth on the the shaft (model year 85.5 and 86).

If yours is the early type, I have a sender that tested functional. $30 plus shipping. Before you spend $ though take a look at the wiring at the sender. It is on the LH side of the transaxle and corrosion can take a toll on the connectors.

PM me if you are interested in the sender.

Mark

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_toro View Post
Assuming that you have the original transaxle in the car (not a Milano swap), there are two different types of senders that are not interchangeable. Early type has a gear drive that interfaces with a gear on a shaft in the transaxle (model year up to 85.5). The late type has an inductive pickup that reads teeth on the the shaft (model year 85.5 and 86).

If yours is the early type, I have a sender that tested functional. $30 plus shipping. Before you spend $ though take a look at the wiring at the sender. It is on the LH side of the transaxle and corrosion can take a toll on the connectors.

PM me if you are interested in the sender.

Mark
Great, many thanks! Will send a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Still looking if anyone has any pointers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

What year is your GTV6? As Mark posted, there are two different types.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, it's an 82 so I need the early type of sender.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Try Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) in California.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM

I have a new old stock early sender, still in Alfa box. Fits 81 to 85 GTV6. PM me if you cant find one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 AM

If it works every now and then it will be because the solder joints on the connector have cracked. It is pretty simple to resolder them - although a bit finicky. The real problem is access as the bad joints are inside the unit. The unit is sealed and you need to open it by cutting the metal ring which holds the front plastic bit with the plug onto the rear metal body. A clean thin cut with a dremel works well, you can then prise the ring off, resolder the joints, and then put it back together using the cut metal ring and a hose clamp to secure it. Mine worked for 20 years after doing this. I think I have a couple of photos somewhere - I'll try to dig them up but they are on an old phone about 4,000 miles away so no promises.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode