Alfa Romeo Forums banner

GTV-6 Transaxle Rattle...The Final Word?

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  alfettaparts2 
#1 · (Edited)
In anticipation of tax return and home sale proceeds, I'm searching for the definitive fix/cure for the GTV-6 transaxle idle rattle. I've seen conflicting posts on other/older ALFA forums, and would like to fix this once and for all. Here are my random thoughts/questions: Was the rattle heard straight from the factory (and during car magazine reviews)? If not, what specific component(s) have worn that cause the rattle? Can the component(s) simply be adjusted, or must it be replaced? If adjusted, is there a long-lasting adjustment? If replaced, is there a better-made component (like the head gaskets and valve guides)? Speaking of the original head gaskets and guides, they were obliviously present from the factory but (presumably) weren't immediately leaking and smoking. I assuming the source of the rattle developed along the same lines. I've seen conversation regarding a designed "looseness" within the transaxle...but was the rattle immediately heard with this design, or did wear and tear increase the "looseness" and create the rattle?

#3 ·
My son's '86 developed an occasional rattle in neutral, at idle, and it turned out to be a loose yoke on the clutch input shaft. The shop replaced the worn yoke with a good used one, when they installed a new single-plate clutch assembly.

#4 · (Edited)
Clutch plate springs, worn splines on the input shaft at the yoke and or the clutch plate, neutral rollover or a combination of all of them there is no simple fix. the youngest transaxle is now more than 25 yrs old, component wear is your biggest problem. These cars did not rattle from new and my 85 GTV6 does not rattle now. you will need to pull the clutch or the transaxle and investigate each of the suspect parts for excessive wear. And doing this does not mean that in a year or two the noise won't come back. There is no definitive answer for Alfa Romeo transaxle clutch rattle. Sorry.

#5 ·
If it’s quiet when cold but rattles when the fluid heats up it’s most likely neutral rollover noise. My Milano had this. Not much to do besides turn up the radio.

If it rattles all the time consider the clutch stuff.

#6 ·
"These cars did not rattle from new"

Well, not quite true, as several of the Alfettas I bought, both new and used with very low mileage, had some rattle. Even the new 89 Milano has had a little rattle, from new. Was never a problem, driving the cars for many thousands of miles with no changes or problems.

I think it was a combination of machining tolerance build up amongst the components, some better than others. Yes, one could "blue print" the assy, but it was never a problem in driveability or longevity of the drivetrain in our experience.

#8 ·
Never happened to me on my Milano's or GTV6's, but my 2 Fetta's had this issue and one the center bearing wasn't tight (on the Fetta it's a double nut), the second was what alfaloco described and all I did was change the 2 bearings in the yoke and the nut on the end, it was striped.

Reactions: alfaloco
#9 ·
When I bought my Milano with 60k an Alfa trained mechanic told me “that’s how they all sound”. I followed his advice and did nothing, now shows 175k and still going. My race car has a Milano transaxle and I can’t hear the rattle but....race car with side exhaust, I’m sure it rattles too.

#10 ·
My thoughts: My 83 GTV6 clacks like mad at idle and is silenced by putting my foot on the clutch. It has very new clutch discs with the original two disc set up. I know the throw out bearing is not healthy. I have not measured any of the components but a visual shows minimal to negligible wear on the throw out fork. I recently refurbed the transaxle and it didn't affect the sound. I still think the sound is coming from inside the transaxle.

The Verde never made any noises at idle..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
The link below is a video I took of my transmission during the last synchro service. The dry transmission is very noisy you can hear all the quadrants in the synchro assemblies rattling and chattering as I rotate the input shaft. This is not neutral rollover as the rotation was in one direction. Rollover is the sound of the components on the lay and main shafts bouncing back a forth against each other with no load. After filling the transaxle with oil the rattle and chatter of the components were reduced to almost zero due to the dampening effect of the oil.
I reused the clutch as it was within the specifications for wear, the throwout bearing was noise free and the clutch springs were all tight I checked for movement of the clutch disc on the input shaft and the bearings inside the clutch housing and lastly the yoke.
I think the majority of cars that have the chatter it's coming from the clutch assembly due to the number of components and the chances of wear in some or all of them. after 3 years there is very little noise coming from my clutch/transaxle assembly. my two cents.

For those who are not familiar with the different parts that make up the clutch assembly, I have included some photos of the complete clutch assembly to show how many parts can wear or become loose over time.

Cheers Glen

Attachments

#17 ·
If the clutch noise changes when you push the pedal down It's not the pinch bolt.
As it only takes 10 minutes to safely check the pinch bolt you could start there, then work your way back the to were the noise is really coming from

Reactions: Del
#18 ·
I have had this noise forever. Having recently rebuilt and balanced the driveshaft and replaced and balanced the entire clutch system, the only remaining culprit would be the transaxle. The nosie is very slightly noticable at cold start up, then gets progressively louder as things warm up. At this point my guess is worn shaft bearings in the transaxle.

#23 ·
Tom, that's a detailed and very informative article on that link you posted. Thanks!

The final word for me, then, is I won't be concerned about a bit of neutral rollover noise on the GTV 6, as long as the other driveline components are tight.

Reactions: sportiva
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.