Performance tire sizes in stock dimensions getting scarce? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmontreal View Post
I need to choose new tires for my recently acquired GTV6. I have three possibilities:
Budget: Falken Ziex ZE950 (195/60). Does it really qualify as a performance tire?
Middle option : Goodyear Eagle Sport AS (195/60). Arguably the only performance tire left in that size.
Top option : Dunlop Direzza (205/55). Already recommended here, but significantly pricier. Is it worth an extra 20% over the Goodyears?

I do not plan to use the car on the track. I am in Montreal, mail ordering from Tirerack and the likes is not a cost effective option, and the roads are too damned bumpy to go to a lower profile.
Of the 3 above, I'd go with the Falken.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 AM

You've had a positive experience with the Ziex 950? What bugs me is that it's advertised as a touring tire.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:33 AM

Tough question.
Have you out-driven your tyres in the past? How often? What kind (and price point) were they?
That may give you a pointer to what you'd be happy with.
Me? I can't out-drive my Bridgestone Potenzas, dry or wet. Older spec RE003s which are far from latest tech, but quite cheap now.
No.1 son swears by these tyres on his GTV6, too, and he pushes them. He's especially impressed with wet grip, and for mine, that's where it matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I recently had a somewhat good experience dealing with www.quattrotires.com which I believe are right out of Montreal and have a fair selection of tires in your size. I used them because they carry Vredestein.

Cheers,

Quote:
I need to choose new tires for my recently acquired GTV6. I have three possibilities:
Budget: Falken Ziex ZE950 (195/60). Does it really qualify as a performance tire?
Middle option : Goodyear Eagle Sport AS (195/60). Arguably the only performance tire left in that size.
Top option : Dunlop Direzza (205/55). Already recommended here, but significantly pricier. Is it worth an extra 20% over the Goodyears?

I do not plan to use the car on the track. I am in Montreal, mail ordering from Tirerack and the likes is not a cost effective option, and the roads are too damned bumpy to go to a lower profile.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascalg View Post

I have two rules when shopping for tires... NOT made in china and must have the lowest possible threadwear for best grip.
It's worth noting that SCCA autocross and some time trial and racing series have skewed a lot of performance treadwear ratings. Because many now specify no lower than 200 treadwear, a lot of manufacturers are putting some very high performance offerings as "200" treadwear, when in the past the same tire probably would have been rated well lower. Most tires below 200 these days are not tires you want to run on the street, or at the very least offer no benefit for street driving due to heat requirements. There is no objective treadwear standard.

Within those 200 treadwear class tires, the BfG Rival S 1.5 and the Bridgestone RE-71R are the current champions in outright performance. The RTK 615+ and Hankook RS4 are slower but harder wearing, and thus preferred by some for trackday work where outright fastest times are not essential. The Direzza Star Spec are between the BFG/Bridgetsones and the Hankooks/Falkens in wear and performance.
davbert and horsewidower like this.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 AM

15 inch hi-performance tire availability are much better than they were 5 yrs ago. unfortunately you need a thick wallet to afford the wonderful period correct TB/'s, Avon's, Corsa P7, or vintage P7's.

i have these toyo's R888 and RA1 on another vintage cars. they are moderately price with decent wear for a true performance tire. they have them in 225 50 15 or 215 50 15 are nice sizes that slots between the taller stock 195 60 15 and the shorter 205 50 15 of the gtv6.

there use to be plenty of gtv6's running on 225 50 15 on 7x15 ronal A1's that looked just right to these eyes
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
15 inch hi-performance tire availability are much better than they were 5 yrs ago. unfortunately you need a thick wallet to afford the wonderful period correct TB/'s, Avon's, Corsa P7, or vintage P7's.

i have these toyo's R888 and RA1 on another vintage cars. they are moderately price with decent wear for a true performance tire. they have them in 225 50 15 or 215 50 15 are nice sizes that slots between the taller stock 195 60 15 and the shorter 205 50 15 of the gtv6.

there use to be plenty of gtv6's running on 225 50 15 on 7x15 ronal A1's that looked just right to these eyes
Worth noting that the R888 has been superseded by the R888R. I have a set on my spider currently. It's considered more of a full track tire than just a performance tire. It needs some heat for maximum grip- the 200TW class are likely to grip better in most street driving conditions.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Worth noting that the R888 has been superseded by the R888R. I have a set on my spider currently. It's considered more of a full track tire than just a performance tire. It needs some heat for maximum grip- the 200TW class are likely to grip better in most street driving conditions.
i need to try the R88R then... sounds wonderful :-)

oh i forgot about the P ZERO TROFEO R too since they have the 15's as well
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM

I did a road rally in Chihuahua Mexico with Michelin Defender 185 70r14 on my 78 alfetta sedan to get better road clearance (speeds bumps from hell) and reliability. Even though they had the road UTQG of 800 A, they stuck like glue on the speed sections, often over 90-100mph on the long sweepers and barely any tire squeal on the tighter turns. The car doesn't weigh much as opposed to a new performance car so it was light on the tires.

Now the gtv6 weighs about the same as the 78 alfetta sedan, relatively speaking.

A response above mentions out driving your tires. I would take this into consideration and your spirited driving style. I've had the cheaper Generals on my GTV6 driving through the Sierra Mountain passes, and my brakes fade before my tires give out. And that was Glenn's Blue Meanie GTV6, before I sold it to him.

so.....in doing a quick tire rack search for 190 60r15, there are a ton of options. I just wouldn't get so caught up in the whole "designated performance" bench racing. There are at least a dozen worth while tires offered in all sorts of prices.

'76 Alfetta GT, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, '78 sports sedan (2 of them) - sold, '91 164L - sold, '83 GTV6 -sold, '87 Milano Verde - sold, '91 spider -sold, '69 MGB GT,
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Worth noting that the R888 has been superseded by the R888R.
I use R888R's on my X1/9 for autocrossing.

Excellent for autocross/track, even in the wet, but not sure I would use them daily. They seem too thin/frail/light duty for a pothole-strewn world, but I have never tried them on a daily basis.

Also, they are recommended never to be used or stored below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. I store mine in the laundry room in the winter. (I have a very understanding wife!)
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91spiderNV View Post
so.....in doing a quick tire rack search for 190 60r15, there are a ton of options. I just wouldn't get so caught up in the whole "designated performance" bench racing. There are at least a dozen worth while tires offered in all sorts of prices.
I'm mostly concerned about getting tires with a decent road feel. I once had Toyo Spectrums on a GTV, mushiest tires you can imagine. Regretted fitting them within one mile of the tire shop.

This is why I'm concerned about the Falken Ziex not being rated as a performance tire...

BTW my GTV6 is from Glenn too.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Looking to replace the Bridgestone Potenza RE520’s on my GTV. They’re 225/50R15 and except for the twice superceeded Falken 912 there is nothing to choose from.

Looking at 205/55R15 provides a few more options with Bridgestone Potenza RE003 and Yokohama ADVAN Fleva 701 available as performance options. Continental PremiumContact 2 (quite an old design now) and Dunlop SP Sport FM800 premium touring tyres are also available here in Australia.

I think I’ll go the RE003’s.

Last edited by Anth73; 05-31-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascalg View Post
It s indeed getting hard to find good 15" tires. We have Pirelli P6 on the GTV6 which are pretty good but no longer available afaik. Tehy were on rhe car when we bought it a year ago and we should be good for another year

Recently we had to get 15" for one of our spider and it was tough. We have 3 years old Dunlop dirrezza on the other spider but they no longer come in 15".

My 1972 E-type also use 15 inchers and i just got some P6000 in 215/60. I couldnt get the usual 225/60. I ve used P6000 before and they are great performance tire with excellent grip and a threadwear of 180

I have two rules when shopping for tires... NOT made in china and must have the lowest possible threadwear for best grip.
welcome to the 21st century, pirelli is now own by china ... Thank God!

for years the legendary tire maker has been languishing and ignoring the aftermarket performance market that they help established. they even went as far as to blasphemously rebranding a vanilla mundane cushy tire with the iconic P7 nomenclature that bore zero resemblance to this revolutionary tire.

its been about 4-5 years now since the new ownership and they have brought back wonderful 13, 14, 15, 16 inch performance oriented rubber. having recognized the enthusiast desires and inquries they have quickly reinstituted the original P7 street, track oriented Corsa P7 along with the CN, CN36 classics. every few month there are updates in new sizes. they are also getting back into bicycle tires.

my wishes have been answered
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
My brother put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S 195/55-15 on his Milano with stock wheels, recommended by Prova Motorsports. He has been very happy with results. An ultimate performance tire? No, but a very strong all around performer on a stock car in the limited offerings for OEM size.

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm mostly concerned about getting tires with a decent road feel. I once had Toyo Spectrums on a GTV, mushiest tires you can imagine. Regretted fitting them within one mile of the tire shop.

This is why I'm concerned about the Falken Ziex not being rated as a performance tire...

BTW my GTV6 is from Glenn too.
Yves,
Let us know what you choose - my "road" tires have reached the end of their useful life and I'll be needing new all-round tires this summer.

Under the "Grand Touring All Season" or "High Perf" category, there are two pages of 195/60-15 choices on TireRack from Michelin, Cooper, Kumho, Yokoh, Bridgstone, etc.. The GoodYear Eagle Sports look good and get good reviews.

I'm impressed with my 205/55 15 Dunlop Direzzza DII Star Specs, but I dedicate them to track use. They drive fine on the road of course, but not as safe in the rain and I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily, so I keep another set of rims for regular daily road driving.

Cheers,
- Art

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop

Last edited by 76Satisfaction; 06-17-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode