Temprature - is this normal? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Temprature - is this normal?

Oh crap, this thread just reminded me that I need to replace the straight water in my system with a proper coolant mix.

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, all the hoses, cleaned and rodded the radiator and filled it with water when I got the car running again. Rock steady at 175, although a small sample size.

I wonder if your problem might have something to do with the set points for your fan.

I have had a car with a backwards running fan. Fine on the freeway, no bueno in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:

Last edited by horsewidower; 10-04-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
@Gepetto Yes, your car was sold new by Alfa of Tacoma, then taken back on a trade and bought by me in 1990. I took it to California, then to NJ. I sold it to Mario, he later sold it to a customer for his son (he had a nice 911sc, but thought the GTV6 had more soul, for sure). Then I think it traded hands once before you, no? So glad it is still so clean and in great shape.

I will try to go to the Open House on Saturday.

Good luck on the cooling system!

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI
post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Garage
@ horsewidower ...glad we could be of service.

@ Gepetto - I echo Del's comment that you might not have a problem at all, that was my first post, just normal cycling on a good cooling system, especially since you never seem to run really high temps. Checking T-stat housing with a laser gun is a good idea.

Peter A
'82 gtv6 3.0, '86 gtv6 3.0, '18 Stelvio TI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Peter A Indeed. My best friend got it as his first car (through his father buying it of course) after Mario owned it. It stayed in his family (to his cousin) until I bought it in 2015. The only thing it needs is a little touching up of a couple spots. (Well, other than figuring out if I need to bleed the cooling system...). Hope to see you Saturday! Maybe I'll even bring the GTV6 out there.
post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
An update for everyone: On the highway today, in cool weather, temp starts rising at cruising speed and rpm (around 3000-3500). When I back off to coast on a downhill (one that's long enough), the temperature starts to come down, and will then climb again to over 190 on the hills and when I'm on it on level road. I'm suspecting the mixture is leaning out around 3000-4000 rpm.

More later as this unfolds...
post #21 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question for all you. Would a less restrictive exhaust from stock cause a lean mixture (even after messing around with AFM) under load?
post #22 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I figured I'd update this thread. I found that changing the spark plugs has actually done the trick. I went from NGK BP6ES to BP7ES (one step colder) and now the engine runs at stable at 180F, regardless of load. It still heats up in stop and go (which is normal), but it doesn't heat up to where the fan would turn on while cruising on the highway.
alfaloco likes this.
post #23 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Normally, the fan wouldn't come on when cruising on the highway, as there is clearly sufficient airflow through the radiator. A fan which comes on at highway speed, if you could tell, would indicate a basic problem in the cooling system, most likely not affected by a change in plug heat range.

I'm also somewhat surprised by the described temperature reading change due to changing the plugs. Maybe something else was fiddled with during the plug change? Still, if it seems to work...

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #24 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I opened the AFM and moved it 3 clicks enriching the mixture when I changed the plugs. But I had tried that before without any real effect. (In truth, I'd been fiddling a bit with the AFM, and it's been at its current settings before).
alfaloco likes this.
post #25 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Aha. Keep in mind that if you make two changes at the same time, you will have trouble figuring out which change did the trick, lol. Glad whatever you did works, though.

Now to see how long it takes for the colder plugs to start fouling. The recommended Bosch Plus 4s I tried in the V6 didn't work, too cold I think, because they would foul after a few thousand miles.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 11-09-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #26 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm tempted to move the AFM 4 clicks back and see what happens. What I have noticed is the car takes a bit longer to reach 175/180, though it tends to stay there while moving. Before my rebuild, it behaved exactly the same way though I didn't pay attention to what plugs were in it before tossing them (oops?). Performance is unchanged though...no better, but no worse.
post #27 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update - I think I've come to terms with the temperature variability on the car. Last night in highway driving it was around the 190F mark (just shy of fans coming on), though cooled a bit when I left off the gas to coast. Since I have performance headers and exhaust, I suspect the computer (stock Bosch L Jet) is struggling to keep the car from leaning out...
post #28 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy I hate to beat a dead horse...

Thanks to everyone who chimed in earlier...

The picture shows where the gauge reads on the highway cruising at 60, with A/C on. It wasn't a particularly warm day when I took this photo (about 80 degrees). Today in the 90's, it went a little farther to the right. In stop and go traffic, it runs much, much closer to 175. Prior to ANSA headers (and screwing around with AFM thinking we were getting Stage 2 injectors installed, but didn't...), the car never really budged from 175-180 on the highway, no mater what.

Can it be that the ANSA headers are making the car run hotter than stock? Also, A/F gauge shows a slight lean condition, averaging about 16.0:1 on light throttle, increasing to 19.0 to 1 under moderate, and 13.5 to 1 under WOT.

I'm considering going totally back to stock (just leaving the S cams), and putting stock headers and exhaust (with new high flow CAT), and a rebuilt AFM from Vic Auto.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

post #29 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Hi Geppeto
Are the cooling fans switching on and off as per the numbers marked on the radiator thermal switch at idle?
Could it be that the new fan setup and a higher crushing speed is causing a high-pressure issue on the engine side of the radiator and causing the temperature to rise at higher speeds because the flow is restricted? then as the speed decreases the pressure drops allowing airflow to increase. Just a thought! I use BP6ES plugs and regularly travel a four-hour family visit at 3500rpm or more a plug read after these trips show a grey colored electrode indicating a lean mixture but not lean enough to raise the temp of the coolant or overheat the piston crowns and combustion chamber
At cruising speed, the flow through the radiator should be sufficient that the fans never come on and my temp gauge reads a consistent 80c, Instead of swapping out the headers you could try wrapping them keeping the heat inside the exhaust. Again just a thought.

Cheers Sportiva
Gepetto likes this.

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75

Last edited by sportiva; 07-20-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #30 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportiva View Post
Hi Geppeto
Are the cooling fans switching on and off as per the numbers marked on the radiator thermal switch at idle?
Could it be that the new fan setup and a higher crushing speed is causing a high-pressure issue on the engine side of the radiator and causing the temperature to rise at higher speeds because the flow is restricted? then as the speed decreases the pressure drops allowing airflow to increase. Just a thought! I use BP6ES plugs and regularly travel a four-hour family visit at 3500rpm or more a plug read after these trips show a grey colored electrode indicating a lean mixture but not lean enough to raise the temp of the coolant or overheat the piston crowns and combustion chamber
At cruising speed, the flow through the radiator should be sufficient that the fans never come on and my temp gauge reads a consistent 80c, Instead of swapping out the headers you could try wrapping them keeping the heat inside the exhaust. Again just a thought.

Cheers Sportiva
Well, at that temperature the fans are supposed to turn on (per the thermo-switch). I suppose that could be an issue, though prior to these fans I had a single Milano fan and it was more or less the same. Except, with the Milano fan, the car wouldn't cool down much at all in stop and go (especially with A/C on). I hadn't thought of wrapping the exhaust...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode