GTV6 values - is it happening? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda951 View Post
Some of you may remember the European Car Magazine GTV6 project series from the mid 1990s----
Most of the articles may be found at Alfagtv6.com

European Car Project GTV6 page

In some aspects they do not represent the most up-to-date thinking on transaxle Alfas but they are still useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM

I remember when the Alfa BB was just a couple years old, I listed a pristine 86 GTV6 for $5000, and I got slammed hard!! One guy said it would Never be worth more than $2500, and several people agreed with him!
I was one of the few on the BB that loved GTV6's, and had to constantly defend then as Real Alfas!
Several years later, real nice ones jumped and I sold several for $12,500 and I even got $15K for 2 time capsule cars.
You could still get runners for $5-7K, but people seemed willing to pay a premium for sorted cars.
I sold many cars for less than they cost me to restore, I guess I just kept doing it for love, as the driving experience was So Sweet! Almost a million miles in Alfa V6's, 10 cross country trips in cars I bought in Cal site unseen.
It figures, now I am getting out of the Alfa business, prices would rise. Of course.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
When I was at a track day earlier this year a guy with a 'Vette told me that I had the best sounding car there.
LOL, Same here - I get the occasional nod from a passerby, but at the track I get comments about the sound. From other drivers, track personnel, and even the gal at the lunch counter.. her boyfriend brought her out just to hear the Busso V6 howl by on the straight. That's cool.
- Art

As for prices, it's always about media coverage.... The Bora wasn't much until 2012 (Hemmings Sports and Exotic covered it). An E-Type wasn't much until 2014 (A bunch of journals covered it). The Montreal was the darling in 2015... So just wait for the media.

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmojo2 View Post
I had heard in the distant past that Clarkson was quizzed on which car he owned that he most regretted selling. His answer was a GTV6,
Peter
Correct - here is that segment - and James May regrets selling his 164..!

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
I remember when the Alfa BB was just a couple years old, I listed a pristine 86 GTV6 for $5000, and I got slammed hard!! One guy said it would Never be worth more than $2500, and several people agreed with him!
I was one of the few on the BB that loved GTV6's, and had to constantly defend then as Real Alfas!
Several years later, real nice ones jumped and I sold several for $12,500 and I even got $15K for 2 time capsule cars.
You could still get runners for $5-7K, but people seemed willing to pay a premium for sorted cars.
I sold many cars for less than they cost me to restore, I guess I just kept doing it for love, as the driving experience was So Sweet! Almost a million miles in Alfa V6's, 10 cross country trips in cars I bought in Cal site unseen.
It figures, now I am getting out of the Alfa business, prices would rise. Of course.
I know how you feel. I sold my second GTV6 way back in 2004 for $12,500 AUD. It was a really well sorted Ď86 with 12-valve 3.0. Everyone said I was crazy on the price (most then were sub $10k) but I sold it the first weekend advertised and had 3 buyers lined up. Now standard cars in Australia are regularly being advertised well over $30k. 🙁

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:25 PM

It is happening

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-cars/?slide=9

In support of this discussion.
See slide 9.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV6noob View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-cars/?slide=9

In support of this discussion.
See slide 9.
Complete with 85mph speedo! As if....lol!

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:41 PM

Today' there is only ONE gtv6 for sale on hemmings, zero on ebay and zero on the craiglists i ve checked in the southeast...a recent AROC magazine i looked at only had one.

There are two factors that affect car values: desirability (beauty, performance, fun factor) and rarity. Seems to me GTV6 values can only go up from here.

We paid in the high teens a year ago for our 81, near perfect from the original owner with full documentation. Worth every penny.

I dont really see any downside to increasing values, besides slightly higher insurance. Higher values means cars which couldnt be restored 10 years ago now have a chance to survive. Obviously restoring a GTV6 is still a loosing proposition but so were other cars not so long ago. I am just finishing the restoration of a 72 series 3 E-type coupe V12 that i ve owned since 1999. 10 years ago, even a nr 1 concours car would struggle to hit 40/50k So while restoring a convertible made sense, you had to be nuts to restore a coupe... i just saw that haggerty " valuation" a series 3 coupe in nr 1 condition at $78K! Thats pretty much wha i ve out in the car including V12 and 5 speed rebuild, new interior, harness, suspension and of course Hundreds of hours of rust fixing before repaint. 10 years ago, i could have never justified this...

And its not just restoration but repairs too. Imagine you re in a minor accident with a gtv6. The higher the value the higher the repair bill can be... at $10k value, a minor accident could result in totalling the car. Not so at $20k...

The GTV6 is still a little too young to appreciate but give it another 10 years and their rarity will combine with their qualities to result in significsnt appreciation.

Pascal, Miami, FL 89 Spider Veloce, Black (his), 86 Spider Veloce, Champagne (hers), 81 GTV6, 72 Jaguar E-type Coupe V12, Silver
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 AM

Thumbs up for owning an E-type coupe! I've always felt they looked better than a cabriolet...
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 AM
Gold Subscriber

Having owned Alfas since the early 90's... I've bought my far share of 105/115/116/119 models... but mostly T/A cars (4 Alfettas, 3 Milanos (two of which were Verdes!) and a '84 GTV-6 which I've kept the longest/outlasted all the other T/A cars. Now I'm involved in a crazy project to totally change the original character of the GTV6 (3.5L big bore 24v Alfa engine + Corvette C5 drivline (torque tube) + transaxle + IRS). While this might ultimately hurt its resale value (especially in the 'true collector' mindset) its an evolution for the car that will make ME happy. I still believe you make your cars your own, residual/market value be damned. Not the smartest 'investment strategy' but I didn't buy these particular Alfas for investment purposes.

Now, some of the more limited production models, or earlier rare models are another consideration all together. I wouldn't perform 'unique' surgery on a Sprint Special, as an example. The thing is... I purchased all my T/A cars for such a cheap (reasonable!) price, and they've taken sooo long to increase in value, that keeping them original was never a consideration. That said, my 67 Duetto, which I did some mods before it rose in value, I have a few regrets...

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

While one doesn't have control over the future prices of these GTV6s, they need to be worth more than enough to maintain. When old cars are worth next to nothing there is very little interest in keeping them going. Hopefully the GTV6 will rise to some level of a sweet spot ($20,000US) where people will value them enough to not leave them out to rot in the elements. And while that won't cover the cost of a checkbook restoration, it will go a long way for the backyard mechanic to pull out an abandoned and not loved car, get it going in very nice mechanical shape, maybe even some paint, and have a nice car to enjoy and even sell at no loss when they are ready to move on.

As for Renaldo and his Monster GTV6, well he needs to firehose some more money at that car and get it further along. :-)
Renaldo and horsewidower like this.
post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 AM

Hagerty values have jumped in the last two years; a #1 car was about $19K, now its over $25K. Considering the low number of examples that have survived, or been restored to #1 condition, I think those cars will always retain and increase in value.
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
"When old cars are worth next to nothing there is very little interest in keeping them going. "

There is always value in keeping them running - I love to drive them. Transaxle Alfas have that intrinsic value. I'm at a spot in life where I could drive whatever I want (within reason). I drive the Milano (GTV6 before) because I like the analog feel and they are modern enough to run with traffic any time of year. Neither will be full value cars - GTV6 is the low mileage one with 195K. But while I live, neither one will be permanently off the road.
Spitfire likes this.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

TBH, the vast majority of GTV6's I've seen are #3 or #4. Unless you're a fanatic, you're not going to put the money required into restoring one to #1 quality. I mean, I do know guys here who have spent WELL OVER $50k on theirs and fully acknowledge they would probably never see a quarter of that if they were to sell. Most of us are happy to have cars that are mechanically sound and driveable, but otherwise just OK. I mean, I know installing Mr. Fiat door and window seals would enhance the concours value, but I'm not going to spend $2500 on rubber when I can get everything for literally one-tenth the cost from JC Whitney, and it'll work (with a little elbow grease). And honestly, when I take mine to a show and people ask me about it, I get loads more satisfaction talking to them about how I adapted Oldsmobile seals than if I'd paid an insane amount for the "correct" parts. It's just more... fun. And according to Hagerty, my car in the condition it's in, might be worth more than $7k, which is great! Maybe someday I'll sell it, maybe not. But at least I can see there's a growing appreciation amongst collectors for the car, regardless.
martym00se72 and cda951 like this.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Good to see a discussion on value and to hear that they are going up. I'm just going to keep driving mine so prices are not an object. Definitely a 2 or lower I suppose but in great driving nick. I sure have noticed an uptick in interest in the car at Saturday AM cars and coffee events (I show up a Katy's in Great Falls, VA) and thumbs up, long looks driving down the road. A car design like this has some undefinable tipping point when the start to look unusual enough to get noticed. The GTV6 design is not exotic enough for instant recognition but they look different from all the really similar, generic sports coupe models on the road. Besides the GTV6's are now small compared to new cars. And, while rambling here, I drove my brother's two door hot rod BMW not long ago, V8 powered I think. I could not feel the road, the engine response nada. Even shifting the manual was disconnected because of something call rev-matching, where the computer sets the throttle for the shift not me. Drive by wire all the way, I kept asking him to put it in Buick mode so I could relax a bit. The cabin seemed cramped too, high beltline, limited visibility. Sorry, it really felt like some generic Nissan/Infinity I drove a few years ago, I could not tell what the car was going to do next! Hey its sunny, I'm going to drive my GTV right now.....Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode