Upper control arm bolts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Upper control arm bolts

I have searched for this nugget of info and came up empty. I am replacing at least one of the bolts that runs through the upper control arm where it passes through the body below the shock mount on my '84 GTV6. While attempting to replace the bushings, I ran into the somewhat common problem of a stuck bolt. No amount of persuading + pb blaster budged it. Am sawing at least the driver's side out. My question is: what are the specs on that bolt? I want to get it right, instead of finding something that "fits" to my eye, and risking not getting it right.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It is possible that nobody other than Alfa Romeo knows that bolt spec but there will be folks who will guess and say grade such and such. I would call APE and see if Larry has good used original bolts.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:11 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
These are usually grade 10.

If you post a picture of the fastener and measurements, I'll look and see what I have. I know I have some suspension fasteners from an Alfetta.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinroll View Post
I have searched for this nugget of info and came up empty. I am replacing at least one of the bolts that runs through the upper control arm where it passes through the body below the shock mount on my '84 GTV6. While attempting to replace the bushings, I ran into the somewhat common problem of a stuck bolt. No amount of persuading + pb blaster budged it. Am sawing at least the driver's side out. My question is: what are the specs on that bolt? I want to get it right, instead of finding something that "fits" to my eye, and risking not getting it right.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
Before you go cutting anything try this.... Fire and Ice: How to free stuck nuts and bolts and fasteners on a marine engine.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:28 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
These are usually grade 10.
8.8?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Grade 10 refers to tensile strength but these bolts are loaded in shear.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Different grades of bolts have different shear strength too. See chart attached, from Metric Fastener selection tips, lessons, torques, tools and chart | Adventure Rider

I always thought cars used grade 8.8 ... but ossodiseppia probably knows Alfas better than me (by a long way).
Pete
Attached Images

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:05 AM

they are class 8.8 as are almost all alfa hex head bolts. there are a few exceptions (like flywheel bolts) but 99% - ish are 8.8. when you get the bolt out, will be stamped on the hex head.
any of the socket head cap screws are 10.9 or 12.9 - 'cause that is the way they are all made.
"grade" refers to inch fasteners.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barboncino105 View Post
they are class 8.8 as are almost all alfa hex head bolts. there are a few exceptions (like flywheel bolts) but 99% - ish are 8.8. when you get the bolt out, will be stamped on the hex head.
any of the socket head cap screws are 10.9 or 12.9 - 'cause that is the way they are all made.
"grade" refers to inch fasteners.
I'm sorry, I thought these two large screws were for the upper control arms. My mistake.

The parts manual does not list the specs on the screws.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinroll View Post

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
I have not seen many bolts NOT undone with an air gun.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all of the input! A mechanic at DiFatta told me yesterday that it is either an M10 or 12(the new bush will be snug but not require force to get the bolt through(he said), smooth shank to run through the bushing, and not any specific or out of the ordinary spec on hardness or strength, as stressors on the whole assembly are attenuated by the bushing. I will update my success for the benefit of others, hopefully by Saturday!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 AM

they are M10. now, ossodiseppia has me worried! my notes do not show anything specific on them... as i recall, they are class 8.8... but not as confident in the recall these days. in any case, the heads will be marked, just get the same thing.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It is possible that nobody other than Alfa Romeo knows that bolt spec but there will be folks who will guess and say grade such and such. I would call APE and see if Larry has good used original bolts.
Hi

Quote:
Double shear too, so not a particularly difficult job for the fastener. Class 10.9 of known quality should be fine.

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 AM

From my notes:

"New M10x100 fine thread bolts and nylocs. Plenty of anti-seize required between the bolt and the bushing."

Note that it's important they are fine thread. 1.25mm pitch

Also from my notes and the manual, the torque
upper arm to chassis - 39 to 44 Nm
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:36 AM

that is 28.8>32.5 ft lbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode