Car of Many Colors - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sloppyjoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car of Many Colors

Several weeks ago I purchased an 86 GTV6 that had been listed here on the BB. This will be my next project car after I finish the 164 (hopefully in about a year and a half). Ideally I wouldn't have the next project yet, but when the right car in the right location at the right price presents itself, it is hard to take a pass.

The car runs OK, so I will only do required repairs during this period. Car has 100K miles. Like my 164, it does not need significant parts, but it needs a tremendous amount of labor. The body is worse than the 164 (the upper part of both doors was sprayed plum over the original red); I assume these doors are from another car, since the key that works the door locks won't work the hatch lock. The mechanicals are comparable to the 164, and the interior condition is about the same as was the 164 before I restored it. The car has factory air, but no belt; PO reports that it never had a belt on it while he owned it. Eventually I think I will try to get the A/C working; if I can't get it to cool well enough, I may pull it all off the car. I don't see how people can stand the noise of the HVAC fan on its highest speed; it is much, much louder than the fan in my Alfetta.

I have Zender front and rear bumpers that I will probably put on the car. When I finish with this project, I will almost certainly sell it; I prefer my Alfetta for driving around in town.
Attached Images

Tom Henneka
75 Alfetta GT (Original owner), 92 164S, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Garage
I considered this car, but I did not want a project car. I'm glad it found a good home. Keep us informed of the restore. Plus, I might be interested once its done!

Centreville, VA, USA
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifolglio
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Definitely eyed this one as well. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM

embrace it

horsewidower likes this.

1981 GTV6 3.0L
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Garage
Run Awayy!!!

Name:  259745.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  36.7 KB

1967 1600 Spider
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:46 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Run Awayy!!!

Attachment 1502049
I've seen several of these throughout the years.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This summer and fall, while I was driving my 164 resto project car, I started pulling parts off of the GTV6. I only pulled off parts that would allow me to keep the car running, so I could move it around, drive it around the neighborhood every few weeks, and have it as an emergency spare car for when I started working on the 164 again (I did start tearing the front suspension of the 164 apart the first week of November).

I may pull out the dash, front seats, and carpet in the spring or early summer.
Attached Images

Tom Henneka
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

The Volkswagon

vivace, back in the `90 that would be called "The Colors Of Benneton"
from there F1 involvement

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Garage
Those are called Harlequin Golfs. VW actually built five cars of the various colors, then disassembled them and swapped panels around. Unfortunately, there were none of the higher performance variants built. No GTI or VR6. Interesting way to end up with a weird, normal car.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More Progress

Since last fall I have pulled some more stuff off the car. I am still keeping it running; I drive it around the neighborhood about every 3 weeks.

I am doing some small jobs on the car this summer while I am driving the 164 project. I will finish up the rear suspension on the 164 in the fall.
Attached Images

Tom Henneka

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode