Aluminum Radiators - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
all things consider the size of the hole isnt as important as what happens to the airflow that comes through that hole.
The point I was trying to make concerning the opening was that since it is only 12.5x20, it doesn't make sense to shoehorn a GTV6 radiator into an Alfetta. That would require butchering the mounts only to still get a 12.5x20 passage of air. So the stock radiator is the right dimensions. I am not sure if GTV6s have different sheet metal in front of the radiator to make a larger radiator effective. My guess is yes. I would like to see the GTV6 sheet metal in front of the radiator with the radiator out of the car.

Quote:
You can mount a pusher fan in the Alfetta GT. There are existing brackets in front of the radiator support opening.
Are you saying these mounts are on the body of the car, just in front of the radiator? That is interesting. I will examine the body of the car there. I have the radiator out of the car.

Thanks,
davbert likes this.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Front brackets and air flow

Brackets: Yep, but you really need to remove the front plastic grill to get at them. I had to in order to fit my condenser/pusher fan and the wiring for the fan. Also to give my A/C shop access.
Air flow: Double yep. I originally had my "better/thicker" radiator in place. With A/C on and stop n go or city traffic my Alfetta would overheat on a hot day. Once underway, around 30mph the temp would drop. BUT on a 100deg+ day and on the freeway the car ran around 200 with the A/C on. AIRFLOW.
After fiddling with stuff to no improvement. I even made a shroud so that the puller fan should pull thru more air. No improvement.
Then I had an OEM radiator rodded out and repaired for about $90. VOILA, now the car only starts to overheat on long periods of stopped traffic. Freeway on a hot day with A/C water temp is a little under 200 at the most. I never figured out the problem with the custom thicker radiator was. It was checked at my radiator shop and I lost interest in it.
I have the pusher and a puller fan set up. Both go on with the A/C. Dual puller fans and Alfetta A/C don't work as the 2nd driver side fan hits the A/C bracket.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 PM

Well, Howe radiator got back to me and said it would be $800. It's not looking promising. It's not even a very big radiator. Bummer.

I hope the French guy from Ebay gets back to me. That one is a good price and he says it is for Alfetta GT but post 1981. Does anyone know if the post 1981 Alfettas have the same tall radiator as the GTV6? We did not get Alfettas after 1979 here, so I haven't the slightest idea what the sheet metal down here is for one of them.

Stefano
Concord, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
Purchased a radiator for my GTv6 and 67 Veloce from this guy. Very pleased

aluminum radiator picture gallery from Ron Davis aluminum radiators
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
The point I was trying to make concerning the opening was that since it is only 12.5x20, it doesn't make sense to shoehorn a GTV6 radiator into an Alfetta. That would require butchering the mounts only to still get a 12.5x20 passage of air. So the stock radiator is the right dimensions. I am not sure if GTV6s have different sheet metal in front of the radiator to make a larger radiator effective. My guess is yes. I would like to see the GTV6 sheet metal in front of the radiator with the radiator out of the car.
i recall the gtv6 sheet metal is different and it boxed out of the original body of the alfetta then is hidden by the airdam. the euro gtv's are different from the gt's in were they have 2 rows of extra intake between the bumper and the grill
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM

$800! OUCH!
This radiator isn't terribly complicated to fabricate.
That is way out of line since their mass produced ones are $200 - $350.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 PM

I sent some diagrams to Griffin, Ron Davis, Wizard, and back to Howe, since he was trying to copy my radiator with all details and said if I could simplify, it would be cheaper. I made a drawing with the upper tab, some fan mounting tabs and the lower pins. I then striped everything off and made a new drawing with only the core, tanks, filler, and ports. I sent them both to each of these places. Oh and I specified no hole in the upper tab. I figure since it will be fabricated without them seeing the car, the new radiator should be fitted into the pin sockets and then the upper hole drilled for perfect fit.

Griffin came back with $900 for the simplified one. Howe came back with $400 for the simplified one and $500 for the complete one. From what I've seen on the net, that wouldn't be too bad now a days. I have yet to hear back from the others.

I will post my diagrams for comment. Note that having slanted tanks like the original will be a significant custom feature. Not sure anyone wants to pay the amount that they will add to the top with that. Also note that our radiators are 23" wide. We have no room on the right as there is a thick piece of steel there and I don't know if it can be ground away. There is 3" space to the left of the radiator though. The pins will locate the radiator, so the right most pin must be the right distance away from the edge of the radiator. I measure 4" and I spec'd a 24" wide radiator, so core plus two 2" wide tanks.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Complete Radiator Sketch

Complete Radiator
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM

Simplified Radiator Sketch

I figured fabricating tabs locally might be cheaper, but maybe not.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Ron Davis Radiators quoted $1196.
Bell Intercoolers - $875.
Griffin - $900.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

For the three Alfettas we owned and drove for thousands of miles we never had an overheating problem. The only Alfa we had this problem with was the 89 Milano, which did overheat in Phoenix big time, but not anywhere else. We drove our new 78 Alfetta GTV clear across the country from DC to Seattle, and for several years later, with nary a hint of any such problem.

The question remains, is a change necessary?

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM

That may be true, but if you need to re-core a damaged radiator at $450, would a $500 aluminum radiator be a bad choice?

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 AM

https://www.okp.de/xtc2/GTV/6/10-Mot...-6::20362.html dont know about shipping cost. For usa the 19% VAT must be deducted also. so 399,16 euro ex VAT ex shipping. Shipping can be reduced by more items in 1 order I guess.
They also have for 4 cyl for a little bit more money(499 incl VAT).

I am shocked by the prices they charge ... I just bought a alu porsche 944 radiator for in the rac bertone, 185 euro incl VAT. made in china I think. little bit rough welding but it does its job ok.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
For the three Alfettas we owned and drove for thousands of miles we never had an overheating problem. The only Alfa we had this problem with was the 89 Milano, which did overheat in Phoenix big time, but not anywhere else. We drove our new 78 Alfetta GTV clear across the country from DC to Seattle, and for several years later, with nary a hint of any such problem.

The question remains, is a change necessary?
Depends what you've done to the car or what your use case is. Just driving around in stock form? Stock is fine. Are you taking the car to the track in 100F temps? You might want something better than stock.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I'd believe that. You are correct in that our cars have always been track free, thus no overstressing the cooling systems.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode