So in the "epic Journey" thread I discovered a vibration here's the list and a question.
The question: Is there any difference between the GTV6 clutch housing on the transaxle and the one on the 1.8 or 2litre transaxle or even the Twin Spark. Clearly I need a replacement but am unsure if I can just rip one off any old transaxle.
10 different ways.
Please take this all with a pinch of salt. That is don't rely on my limited experience.
This needs some introduction. A vibration/noise varies wildly from a slight metallic tinkling noise to a car shaking vibration that feels like your car is about to come apart, because it is.
The mild tinkling noises come from the clutch spring making a small noise as the clutch assembly itself rotates at low speeds. The spring acts a bit like a bunch of tines. As the flex they "tinkle". Presumably this is a reflection of some other process allowing the clutch to move about. The huge vibration noise is the drive line moving in a fashion resembling a skipping rope.
Sources from front to back.
1. Your engine mounts are no good so the engine moves around creating a vibration. Check the engine mounts.
2. The front Donut is cracked. This is the floor shaking whenever you rev the motor.
3.The middle donut is cracked. Same as 2.
4. The Prop bearing holding up the drive shaft is dead.
5. The prop support is sagging
6. The rear donut is cracked.
7. The Yoke is loose on the Clutch shaft
8. The bearing holding the clutch shaft is loose or "reamed"
9. The Clutch assembly is out of balance.
10. The bearing at the back of the clutch is dead.
11. The Clutch housing is not tightly bolted to the mounts
12. The mounts are worn.
13. You have Alfa 75 Mounts (which are too high) installed in a GTV6
My GTV6 has numbers 5, 7, 8, 9 (how do I know?), 11 (bolt holes have worn through due to vibration), 12, same as 11, and possibly 2,3,4 and 6. Other than that: it seems fine...
Have I missed any? Are any completely off? Does the clutch assembly really need balancing? If so how?
Merry Christmas. I envy those of you who are in the Northern Hemisphere where it is winter and the whole festive season makes sense unlike here where it was 38c today and it gets dark at 9pm.