1979 Alfetta GTV Project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

1979 Alfetta GTV Project

Well, I bought another driver/project, after daily perusals of non-driving projects I just realize I don't have time for, not that I have time for this one.

It's a 1979 Alfa Romeo Alfetta coupe with no rust. No, really. Seriously. Come on - I'm not kidding. It's a California car, that some buddies bought, flew out from Colorado, got it running and went through a bunch of it over two days, and drove it back, with very minimal issues. Their adventure is a real story in and of itself.

Before I get into it as it sits - what's the goal? Well, make some period-ish sports purpose mods and run it in the Silver Summit Classic Car adventure. Lower, stiffer, larger wheels, more/better lighting, better sounds and maybe a bit more power and reliability. When I'm done playing with it, it will likely be listed for sale, but I'm not sure how long I want to play with it yet!

Anyway, it's a Mille Miglia edition - one of 500 (oooohhh, aaaaahhh, rare - but not really valuable) that amounts to some extra badging and spoilers, I think. It has the venerable dual overhead cam 8 Valve all alloy Alfa 4 cylinder, in 2 liter iteration. The SPICA injection is still there and still functioning surprisingly well. The transmission sifts well and easily (once warmed up a bit), and the suspension and brakes are in, again - surprisingly good condition. The shocks were swapped from the parts car at the time of this car's resurrection, because they were Konis, and in good shape. They aren't bad at all. Many of the rubber bushings look poor, but no clunks or rattles, other than from the exhaust that looks like it's been welded together from about 20 different (emphasis on different) pieces. It starts and runs easily, almost all of the things in it work, so it's got what I call, good bones.

First order of business, because it broke down on me the day after I bought it, is a new starter. The solenoid is hanging up and it keeps the starter spinning, even if I turn the key off sometimes. I can turn the key off and back on quick and shock it into closing, but it definitely needs replaced. Ordered and on the way from Timbuktoo. I have also ordered a full set of polyurethane bushings, as most of the important ones look cracked and frayed, and an exhaust leak melted the De Dion rear axle bushing on the drive back from Cali. The two guys that brought it back bought a bushing that was close from a parts store, and (literally) whittled it to fit in the parking lot and that's what's in there now. I really, really like a firm, taut chassis (that many of my passengers think is too stiff) but I'm on a budget with this one, so I'll try to find some GTV6 torsion bars and springs that are stiffer than the 4 cyl versions, but not really sporting, and add some Bilsteins and maybe a bigger sway bar.

It came with new rubber brake hoses, but I think I am going to go with braided stainless steel brake hoses. I've used them on most of my builds over the years, and really like the increase in feel it gives.

In the interest of sound, and sanity - I will build a 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust with a resonator and a turbo muffler to make the Alfa sound like a European sports car, and maybe free up 5 or 6 horsepower. I like the SPICA injection (evn though I'm not familiar with it), and have read enough reviews on the stock airbox to know that it is a very good design that shouldn't be messed with. So, likely, I will mess with it. Sidedraft carbs or ITBs sound awesome - and I would like some of that sound but not to lose the benefit of the airbox, so there could easily be some ugly husbandry of intakes.

Cosmetics is usually the last of my worries, and that will be the case here as well. I'll throw in some H4and H1 headlights, because I sell them, and it just isn't smart to use sealed beams on anything driven in the dark, IMO. I will also add some extra driving and fog lights to give a little rally flair as well as function. I dislike USA market bumpers on most Euro cars from the 70s, and while these aren't awful, I think they will have to go away. Maybe some Camaro bumpers modded to fit, or just a tube bumper/light bar in the front or something. Have to see what I find.

Anyway, here she is:

stefmiesterb and CathalICCI like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Nice car. It will look great without the big ugly bumpers. Be careful with the exhaust size. My Spider made 144 HP at the wheels with a 2" system. 2.25" is IMO the upper limit for a high output motor that makes good torque at 3000 rpm.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks - I've built a bunch of exhausts for 1.6-2.4L engines over the years, all in the 80-160hp range, so I don't think 2.25" is too big, but slightly optimistic. If I have time and the funds for this project allow, I would like to do some cams to help out, but we'll see. Likely, it will just be to free up what's there and make is sound like a proper European sports car without being obnoxious. Appreciate the input, and like your GT500 - I had one for a brief time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I travel to Fort Collins, usually twice/year to see my son. I would like to see your car if we can arrange it.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I'd be happy to do that if it can work out!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:19 PM

Nice find! Did you say H4s?

Im looking to replace a broken H4 on my alfetta. Please PM me price and contact info if you do have any for sale. Love your MM!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM

Nice Sprint Veloce - enjoy! Based on collector car ethic now influencing value of these cars and performance too, I'd say keep the Spica system. I like to call it the "8-track Tape" of fuel injection which often gets spectators going. I just had exhaust work done on my 79. Had a nice red Thrush Glasspack installed as mid resonator with an original, hard to find ANSA Marmitte rear section. Sounds incredibly great, not real noisy unless its at full throttle, high revs. I also like the wheels your car came with. Are they 14"? If you're considering parting with them I might be interested. Here's my car with boy racer previous owner installed rims.
Attached Images

Renaldo, Savali 3.1 and Calguy 17 like this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Great looking Alfetta. I love the term "8-track of fuel injections." I am going to steal that and use it! Accurate and funny.

I wasn't really clear on my mention of sidedrafts/ITBs - I would very much like to keep the SPICA if possible, but I will be modifying the stock airbox or building my own to get that intake howl that I love - I've experienced it on a number of VWs I've built and other cars, of course, so really just after the sound, while not losing any power if possible by losing the stock airbox which is well regarded. My only real concern is if I swap in cams, I will have incorrect fueling for the engine without getting the pump re'mapped' (familiar with this from the Porsche 911 MFI side of things needing a new 3D cam made).

Your description of the exhaust is exactly what I want. A restrained but noticeable burble at idle and lower rpms/throttle opening, with more of a snarl at higher rpms and throttle openings. Over the years I've built lots of exhausts for VW & Toyota projects, and love the simple resonator and turbo muffler in most situations. The only video I can find of one of them is from a VW Fox wagon when I tested it - worked great but was just a touch on the aggressive side, so (after the video) I added a resonated exhaust tip and it took the edge off.

The 14" wheels are Ronals, with brand new tires, other than the trip back from California. I'd be happy to sell them to you as soon as I have replacements lined up. My wheel supplier JUST told me that we are going to be selling the 15x7 version of the 14" Ronal wheel come end of December, so likely that is what I will run, but I would consider some sort of a trade for your wheels, depending on size/offset, etc.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:18 PM

Nice!

Count me in for 15x7 Ronal A1 repros!
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Hell, I'll be selling the perfectly good red Koni's off this car as well, to replace with Bilsteins, so if anyone wants those, let me know. I will need to pull it in soon to do the

1. Lowering
2. Upgraded springs/torsions
3. Poly bushings
4. Brake hoses
5. Front sway bar
6. Downpipe-back exhaust
7. Exhaust manifold welded
8. Airbox modification
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

SPICA is ITB. Look in the airbox and you'll also see the tuned trumpet length.

Have fun, I'll look forward to your build.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
SPICA is ITB. Look in the airbox and you'll also see the tuned trumpet length.

Have fun, I'll look forward to your build.
I know - I've use the SPICA ITBs on other projects! That's why it's easy to capitalize on the great sound they can make!
horsewidower likes this.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

There is an ABB member who is currently working on a Megasquirt implementation using the stock SPICA ITB's. He will have a much wider range of cams to choose from.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Megasquirt would be awesome, and I have one built sitting on the shelf, but I really want to keep this a simpler project than that - simple bolt ons and such, being my first driver Alfa. I hope to get a Milano or GTV6 at some point later.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 PM

When you get tired of it and want to sell, keep me in mind. I am looking for a rust free Alfetta.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode