No Dash and Tail Lights/GTV6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

No Dash and Tail Lights/GTV6

Hey Guys,

I have a 1984 GTV6. The other night, my dash lights and my tail lights both simultaneously stopped working. I went right to the fuse box (#10 fuse, right?), but all the fuses appear to be intact and in good shape (I did replace all of them 2 years ago, so they're all fairly new). Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this problem? If it's not a fuse, then what? I'd appreciate any advice, because I'm stumped!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:00 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Even if it looks OK, I'd suggest replacing the fuse anyway. Especially the ones with the aluminum strip - somehow they can look OK but fail to allow electrons to flow. I prefer the brass strip fuses. And clean the fuse box contacts too.

If that doesn't fix it check if the connectors in the back of the fuse box are secure. The fuse box can be unhooked, dropped down and turned around to get a look at the back side. There is a plastic cover that snaps off.

Photo is of a Spider fuse box but the GTV6 looks very similar. Note the yellow connector at the bottom that is partly out of position.
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harriott View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 1984 GTV6. The other night, my dash lights and my tail lights both simultaneously stopped working. I went right to the fuse box (#10 fuse, right?), but all the fuses appear to be intact and in good shape (I did replace all of them 2 years ago, so they're all fairly new). Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this problem? If it's not a fuse, then what? I'd appreciate any advice, because I'm stumped!
Steve
What Eric said. Get a voltmeter and make sure you have 12v on both sides of the fuse, measure at the connector and not the fuse itself. Just because it's not blown doesn't mean it's making a good connection.

If it's not a fuse or a bad connection, then the next likely culprit would be the column switch.

bs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric and bs - much obliged! I will give those ideas a try and report back-
s
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Hi Eric,
I just replaced fuses, and still no dash/tail lights. How does one get that black plastic cover off of the back of the fuse panel? I flipped the fuse panel down, and tried to remove the cover, but....no-go. I know you said it "snaps off," but mine didn't seem to want to come off. I don't want to break anything! Is there a trick to getting it to snap off?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harriott View Post
Hi Eric,
I just replaced fuses, and still no dash/tail lights. How does one get that black plastic cover off of the back of the fuse panel? I flipped the fuse panel down, and tried to remove the cover, but....no-go. I know you said it "snaps off," but mine didn't seem to want to come off. I don't want to break anything! Is there a trick to getting it to snap off?
It's been a while, but I think there's a catch at the top of the fuse panel. You push the fuse box down (or up?) to release that catch, then the fuse panel rotates forward and down.

Before you do that, you might try running a jumper wire to the correct fuse in the fuse box and send 12v directly to that fuse. See if the lights come on. IIRC, the column switch is in the circuit before the fuse, so if you're not getting 12v to the fuse then I think you might find that your column switch is worn out or has a dirty contact.

bs
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Garage
Steve, the fuse box is hinged at the top. If you look way up there you will see pins that fit into the hinge holes. You can drop the entire assembly down, rotate it carefully (don't unplug anything...), and get access to the rear like Brian said. The back cover snaps on.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I just took a look again, and....I'm still not getting it. I understand that the whole fuse box is on 2 hinges, and drops down. Once dropped down, though, it doesn't appear to rotate from front to back, as you're saying. I also still can't seem to snap that back panel off, either.....

Help....
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Garage
When I say it drops down, I mean you can not only let it SWING down, you can slide it out of the two pivots at the very top, and lay it down on the floor of the car! All the way down. Then you can flip it over, and unsnap the protective cover on the back. Let's see if I can post a photo or two for you, my friend.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Garage
Here ya go...
Attached Images

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Alfaloco! I finally figured it out, dropped it down, turned it around. Nothing seemed amiss, though. All the connectors appeared to be in place and properly lined up.

So.....all back together again, and still not working. Now it's off to see my friend Paul at DiFatta Brothers, I guess.....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
You might want to take off the steering column shroud, get access to the combination switch. Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner, and spray up inside the combo switch. Just maybe some of it will seep into the contacts for the lights, and clean them off. Worst case... you need a new/replacement switch.

We got a good used one a couple of years back from APE. Alfa Parts Exchange. Talk to Larry. (209) 365-1383

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again man - I guess I will give that a try! I do have some contact cleaner on hand-
s
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Garage
Did you feed in 12 volts directly like Brian suggested, to the load side of the fuse?

Also, those brass fingers that retain the fuses need to have good contact with the bullet end of the fuse. If they've lost the spring tension, and they're loose, it will affect the circuit. You can bend the bottom one upward gently to increase tension on the fuse. And they have to be clean, too. I mean shiny clean, like with a piece of fine sandpaper.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Dimmer switch (rheostat) was my huckleberry once when dash lights went out. Tail lamps and marker lamps all fed in series from a yellow wire that comes around on drivers side rearward to left taillamps clucter on to pass side etc. Remove plastic cover at rear under hatch, 4-5 little screws, pull back "carpet" back, remove the 90* plug and test for pwr with light or multi-meter. If not getting any, issue is at fuses 9 & 10 most likey. Stick a penny in there (replacing fuse) for testing purposes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode