1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 701Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 04:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I am glad you went back with "stock" black hose afterrmarket silicone set though. Looks almost original looking.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
I am glad you went back with "stock" black hose afterrmarket silicone set though. Looks almost original looking.

My engine bay "aesthetic" tends toward blacks, silvers, brushed and raw materials. Other than perhaps a bit of early Alfa red for accent, which I'm still on the fence about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #123 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Making the dive under the dash to replace the VERY suspect heater hose. I've been putting this off, but it's time.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My buddy that helped me out a month ago, came by and remarked that "it kinda looks the same!?"

I went through the litany of work that has been done. This car hasn't had big items to do, instead it has 100 little ones that could lead to big problems.

How do you eat an elephant...

post #125 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Wow, what a pain. Clamps are on so that you can't see the mechanism. AC tubes blocking access. I had to call up the 500 lb silverback to do some artful bending. Can't wait to have this done.

Took a break for a soothing libation...

post #126 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM

You should replace the heater valve now, before it blows coolant all over the passenger footwell one fine Sunday drive.
horsewidower and martym00se72 like this.
post #127 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

"Hold my beer, watch this..."

LOL

post #128 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Initial fuel pressure check...pinhole leak in the engine bay fuel line.

post #129 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My kingdom for a hose. The splice wouldn't seal. Gratification delayed.

post #130 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore. But, four headlights, four different manufacturers...LOL

Picture of trim ring and bucket, one after the Evaporust bath, the other before. That stuff is awesome.

post #131 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Oh NO!

I think I just hit full "Science Fair"!

PSk likes this.

post #132 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

It cranks, working to get it fired.

Swapped in the new fuel line, complete with a face full of rancid gas, pulled the plugs and lubricated the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil.

For the first time under my ownership I cranked it over, with the plugs out. Trying to get some oil moving, although I didn't see any movement on the oil pressure gauge.

Went to install the oxygen sensor, only to find that the wiring had been messed with. It had been changed to an unheated one wire, instead of the stock three wire. I'll have to address that at a later date.

Wish me luck.

post #133 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here's a nifty idea, when the starter solenoid is worn out, just feed it more juice. I was wondering what that relay was for.

With 12.8 volts, it's barely spinning. One more thing to r&r.

No sparky, time to sort that. Now the real work begins.

post #134 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Had to move the car out of the workshop, while I work on a couple of issues.

I was walking, despondently back from the barn, when it occurred to me that one of my extra engines might have a starter. Eureka! One did. So it's off to be checked and, if necessary, rebuilt. Made my weekend.

Below is the car, in its current state, and entirely too many starter pictures. Who knows, maybe some one in the future will find the helpful.

Also, huge thanks to the folks that have sold me extra parts at nominal costs. Your generosity has saved me again.

post #135 of 1025 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode