1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 702Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I also started on a rehose, pulling the splash shield to get to the vapor canister. The admonishment to pull and clean behind them should be followed. Alfa stuck mastic in the space in order to hold the sun roof drains in position. This dams up the bottom, causing the collection of gunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Canister pics.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #108 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Driver's side was in worse shape. I'll treat the surface rust before I put it back together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:29 AM
GT4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
GT4, I love your car! I wish it had been sold on our shores.

The rear spoiler on my car came as part of the Maratona body kit. I'm not aware of anyone making them today.

Thank You for that.
It is in all intense and purposes a GTV6. and a rare one at that as almost all have been scrapped after these were used for GTV2000 into GTV6 transformations.
We are trying to get the car ready to display for our Italian Car day next month and looking forward to the hopefully reactions as there are none any more around bar 1 here in Perth WA according to the Alfa Dealers we know.

The wheels on the car in the picture are a 164 as the original wheels and Tyres were completely perished.
We had to do this to transport it and roll it out of the shed.
Had old 5 wheels & tyres stripped off and getting a new set for these. But think that the 164 wheels actually look good on it~!
post #110 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGTV View Post
Out of curiosity how did you manage to remove the gas cap intact without having the key? Was it possible to have a key cut to the lock with out having an existing key to make a copy from? I've recently purchased a pair of GTV6s with my father. One in reasonably good nick and the other which will probably be a parts car. The better of the two cars has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 odd years so i suspect i will be going through a similar process as to what you are now very shortly. Great to see what I've gotten myself into lol.
This happened to me years ago. The locked failed and the cap would spin around the bayonet. The solution was to drill a small screw through the cap into the bayonet so it would be fixed.
horsewidower likes this.
post #111 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 AM

The fender wells of my car were just as bad. Had to clean them out when the front sunroof drains became plugged by the accumulated dirt. BTW, the base of the air filter box is different for the GTV6 and Milano. Looks the same but slightly different mounting holes.
horsewidower likes this.

Last edited by Alfistaa; 10-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #112 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Have I ever told you how much I hate wiring? Sure I have.

Going through all the "extra" boxes from decades of projects. All so I can reconfigure the lights and fans.

post #113 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

alfaloco likes this.

post #114 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 05:27 AM

Garage
While your headlight buckets are out, shoot some WD40 or light lube onto the adjusters (bet you thought of that already!).
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #115 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Since they have light surface rust, the buckets will get dropped in the evaporust cleaning tank. Thanks for the suggestion on the adjusters.

post #116 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

About ready to turn in my shade tree mechanic badge. These downpipes are kicking my behind. I need pixie sized hands.

post #117 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Sometimes, you have to step away, have some lunch, reflect in the fact that you're working on a lady Italian, not some domestic beast approached with all the grace of a 500lb silverback.

With an appropriate change in attitude, a couple of rubber bands, a magnet in a stick and a delicate touch with a socket on a wobbly...we have success. The exhaust is in place, fettled nicely so there is appropriate space everywhere (the prior installation rubbed in several places) and it simply awaits some final tightening.

Savali 3.1 likes this.

post #118 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I do have a couple of tasks. I may not have enough space to put in the wide band AFR sensor. I wanted it behind the stock installation, but it may not fit. I'm trying to avoid the temptation to massage the sheet metal with a BFH.

Also, the car did not come with the bracket that is at the front of the Cat, connecting to the bell housing. I haven't been able to source the assembly. I'll take a shot at making one.

post #119 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Took out and cleaned the vapor canister, replaced most of the air and vacuum hoses. Enough for one day. I have to say, when first working with the silicon hose, you think "there is no way that is going to go over that!" But, with the supplied grease, a vice, and other methods of persuasion, you can get them on.

Savali 3.1 likes this.

post #120 of 1025 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Canister reinstalled, hoses replaced (awful how they clutter up a pretty engine), fender liners painted, and chasing around surface rust before trying to button up the engine bay.

I guess I can't put off wiring very much longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode